It's Official : Extra Innings Package and 24-Hour Channel Headed Exclusively to Direc

An appeal ?? Was this a court decision and I missed it ?? This is a contract between private parties and it's no court's business, nor open to appeals.

No but I think they are exempted from some anti trust laws and the other companies might be able to get congress involved.

Using Lucky's numbers in the opening post, of which I do not dispute, Sunday Ticket costs Direct $700. million dollars a year and has 2 million subs paying for it.
If my math serves me correctly, Direct needs to take in from each sub. $350. per season just to break even.
Is that happening, or is Direct losing money on Sunday Ticket??

Anyway folks, regardless of what the football and baseball rocket scientists who run their leagues do, we do not have to suffer for the loss on Dish Network.

I will keep Dish Network subscription going and continue to watch NFL Sunday Ticket and Major League Baseball Extra Innings at a far better price than what a Direct TV viewer will pay by subscribing to Star Choice where both these sports are available. :up

what you not counting is the subs directv gains because they have it, some people switch for NFL ST long before the season starts, netting directv revinue long before the sub ponys up for the NFL ST fee.

Maybe Dish can get Center Ice exclusively to fire a shot back. MLB and NFL were equally people's favorite sports in 1980. With all the strikes in MLB etc, along with moving games, MLB has lost over 50% in popularity since 1980. This can only speed their decline.

MLB lost me in 1981 when they had a split season due to a strike and the Reds finished 2nd in each 1/2 season, had the best record, and were shut out of the playoffs.

Since then I was literally dragged to 1 MLB game in 2002, I have no use for MLB anymore.

No but I think they are exempted from some anti trust laws and the other companies might be able to get congress involved.
Whatever happened to "highest bidder wins" ?? Why do the courts need to be involved in business deals when one party doesn't 'win' ??

Whatever happened to "highest bidder wins" ?? Why do the courts need to be involved in business deals when one party doesn't 'win' ??
This is an example of the "WAH WAH I'm suing" entitlement society of today.....The result is over stuffed civil court dockets...Over stuffed with frivolous civil actions...

The NY Times is not wrong very often. I think it is unofficial "official" if you know what I mean.

With DirecTV about to pass Dish in HD come September and my cherished MLB Extra Innings now only on DirecTV it will probably be time for me to move to DirecTV in time for the baseball season. I really like Dish, but the MLB package plus extra HD will just be too much to pass up.

Mu]y point is that it is not OFFICIAL until one of the parties involved announces it. I strongly suspect that this IS true----but it is not official. The title jumps the gun a bit. That is all I am saying.

Last edited:

true. Baseball is uniueamong the major sports in that it has an antitrust exemption. Periodically congress has suggested that they might remove that but it seldom gets very far.

Of course the original justification for giving this exemption was that baseball had a special place in the American culture. That being said I suppose that some would argue that baseball has a duty to make itself available to the fans. I am not saying I buy that but if baseball wants to enjoy the antitrust exemption perhaps they have to realize that it comes with a cost.

Wow, nuzzy, it wasn't that bad of a post. I think what that poster meant was that there is no way that Direct is going to let NFLST slip away from them. It is too much a part of their marketing campaigns. Could it have been said a different way - Yes, but I don't think it deserves getting "throttled". :D

When one party is a monopoly with an anti trust exemption because as someone else pointed out there was the thought it was America's game. When they pull they availability of EI from America, then they should have their anti trust exemption stripped.

Before you say "You're free to switch to D*" which is the obvious answer, there should be some consideration into the equipment that we as subs have had to invest in. To lock us out of the availability of the package is too monopolistic for my taste.

From a legal standpoint what MLB and D* are doing is perfectly legal. From a common sense standpoint it's completely wrong.

After 10 years with Dish it might be time to move on to Direct. I waited too long for EI to come to Dish to just say, Oh Well! I do love baseball as well as my wife, she won't stand for this. Strikes come and go and I really don't care to dwell on past issues. I guess I could watch a bunch of guys make 500 left-hand turns at 200MPH, great skills. Is this supposed to take place this coming, 2007, season?

I wonder what happens when d* subs realize the new price will be 200 or more!!

I know it's going to happen, so I"m going to bend over for 2007 with DIRECTV, look for a great PC to TV interface, cancel my DIRECTV service after the 2007 season and subscribe to MLB.TV starting in 2008.

DISH Upgrade Exec Office Can't Even Get It Right!

942 Loses TV2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)