It's Official : Extra Innings Package and 24-Hour Channel Headed Exclusively to Direc

Scott where do you get the information for 2007? That would be great, but will switch to DirecTV in 2008

I know Scott is usually pretty accurate with this stuff, but I do not think that is correct. The DirecTV deal is for the 2007 season and for 7 years there after. It is the baseball channel that does not start until 2009.

By the way, anyone who hasn't written yet please write :

Bob Bowman
MLB Exec VP, MLB Extra Innings

Bob.Bowman@mlb.com

It is not too late to e-mail him and let him know what you think. He is a pretty nice guy, and wants your feedback.

I agree Lucky, everything I read stated the agreement was up for renewal with all carriers. Directv outbid all and is getting it for the 7 years and exclusive, starting this season in April and onward.

I agree Lucky, everything I read stated the agreement was up for renewal with all carriers. Directv outbid all and is getting it for the 7 years and exclusive, starting this season in April and onward.

Yes, I think only DirecTV will have it starting in 2007.

Dear Bob...

I know Scott is usually pretty accurate with this stuff, but I do not think that is correct. The DirecTV deal is for the 2007 season and for 7 years there after. It is the baseball channel that does not start until 2009.

By the way, anyone who hasn't written yet please write :

Bob Bowman
MLB Exec VP, MLB Extra Innings

Bob.Bowman@mlb.com

It is not too late to e-mail him and let him know what you think. He is a pretty nice guy, and wants your feedback.

Below is my letter to "Bob", emailed a few minutes ago:

Hello Bob,

I'm a Dish Network subscriber who purchased the MLB Extra Innings package. I have just learned that I will be unable to obtain the Extra Innings package in the future as a Dish Network subscriber.

Oh well. I guess I just saved myself about $180 per year. I sure as heck won't be switching to DirectTV.

You will absolutely lose me as a Extra Innings subscriber if you don't remain available to Dish Network subscribers.

I think you folks made a big mistake giving DirectTV exclusive rights to the Extra Innings package.

Chuck N********
S******, Illinois
(309) 9**-1***

... And why do we have multiple threads announcing that this is "OFFICIAL" when it is not? If it is "OFFICIAL" as this thread states, please provide a link verifying this.

... And why do we have multiple threads announcing that this is "OFFICIAL" when it is not? If it is "OFFICIAL" as this thread states, please provide a link verifying this.

From what I have heard and read, the deal is 99% done. Does that make you feel any better ?

MLB and John Kerry - any news?

Any news on the John Kerry apposing the MLB deal with D*?? Is this thing set in stone or is there still hope? Supposedly it was on CSPAN but I missed it.

This could get interesting if the Antitrust exemption is raised. MLB didn't get that good a deal anyway (compared to NFL) and it might not be worth it to them to anger a lot of fans who want Extra Innings who don't want DTV.

this was just Kerry raising the issue in a subcommitte hearing which FCC Chaiman Martin was schedueld to testify at.

I asee no news stories on how any exchange went but the FCC has no authority over the deal itself. In the end this isa senator using the hearing process to make an issue more visible. Some would say that is useful and some would call it grandstanding.

I still have seen no official announcement. I don't havea lot of hope that the MLB will be persuaded not to execute the deal though.

As i see it direct and dish fans

Think about this ? every one who has directv can get MLB package now. If directv gets it way it will cut off dish and cable. So at this time everyone with dish and cable can now get MLB pack. So lets say 40% go to directv to get MLB pack. Do the math. So how do they make up the money. Charge more for the pack or guess what directv fans up your cost to every one. This is a bad deal for all.:eek:

Because it was Kerry who brought this up people are going to jump on it just because they don't like him. Knee jerk reaction. I don't like the deal because it is exclusive of most people's interests. On top of that, MLB benefits bigtime from their antitrust exemption. This should be a bipartisan issue.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11489

Sen. Kerry Objects to Possible DirecTV-Baseball Deal

By Ira Teinowitz
A possible deal between No. 1 satellite-TV service DirecTV and Major League Baseball has Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry objecting to the Federal Communications Commission.

OAS_AD("Middle1");

Similar to DirecTV's accord with the National Football League, for the NFL Sunday Ticket, the deal reportedly gives DirecTV viewers exclusive rights to see games played outside the markets they live in.

Sen. Kerry's objection, conveyed in a letter to FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin, is that an exclusive deal between the league and DirecTV would replace the "MLB Extra Innings" package, leaving out both EchoStar, the No. 2 satellite-TV operator and cable television customers.

The "MLB Extra Innings" cable package comes from iN Demand Holdings, a joint venture of Comcast Holdings, Cox Communications Holdings, Inc., and a Time Warner Entertainment-Advance/Newhouse Partnership. It allows customers of a number of cable providers, EchoStar's Dish Network and DirecTV to see 60 games.

"Extra Innings is currently available to 75 million subscribers through cable as well as DirecTV and the Dish Network," Sen. Kerry said in the letter. "However, if this exclusive deal is approved, only 15 million DirecTV subscribers will be able to purchase Extra Innings, leaving 50 million Americans without access to out-of-market games that they currently enjoy and a viable alternative to view them.

Citing Boston's connection with the Red Sox, Sen. Kerry said he was concerned that this deal, and others that may follow, will separate fans from their favorite teams and reduce competition in the sports market.

A DirecTV spokesman declined comment.

"This deal, by definition, reduces consumer choice and competition in the media market," Sen. Kerry wrote. "Fans who want to purchase Extra Innings will be forced to pay whatever DirecTV charges, and those who cannot subscribe to DirecTV, like some apartment building residents, will have no option at all."

(Editor: Baumann)

when will we know mlb

When will we know if we are going to have MLB extra innings pack. Dish is saying not a thing. They dont even have any idea about this year. Now that dish cost more than dirctv by $10.00 for the hd and 250 pack And alot more hd channel(they say) by 3q And losing Mlb. Mybe i will start looking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts