IT'S OFFICIAL NO FIREWIRE ON 921!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
gpflepsen said:
Coming soon to Dish Network... Introducing a new Firewire interconnectivity, available for only $4.95 per month.

That's the only reason not being banter about. If it's not legal, nor HW limited, it'll be connected to money.

Additional Receiver Fee $4.99
DVR Fee $4.98
Firewire Activation $4.95

The stockholders should be proud.

That would certainly follow "Dish Logic".

Glad I did not purchase a 921

In the past I was always an early adopter. I purchased a new receiver when it came out. I am so glad I did not purchase a 921. I could have purchased it wholesale because I have a friend who is a dealer and was willing to sell it to me at his cost. I am in Denver. SInce I am recording my shows on my 501, I will continue doing that until an HD PVR comes out that really works. I want to sometimes archive a show to tape using firewire. If Echostar never adds firewire and the new unit comes out next year, my 811 promotional commitment will be up and I might have to switch to DirectTV and their HD TIVO. I will stay with DISH for the time being and see what happens.

lex61564 said:
At Dish they are still saying "the advanced techs " firewire is on.
They seem or act clueless.

Yep. Same un-information I got yesterday from an 'advanced tech'. E* can't even tell their own internal people, nevermind the general public. Hell for all we know, the E* engineers haven't broken the news to Charlie yet.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, mainly because it is too depressing, but I was wondering if anyone gave any though on dish using one of the 3 internal expansion slots and adding a different dishwire card?

Mark_AR said:
Hell for all we know, the E* engineers haven't broken the news to Charlie yet.

Believe me Charlie knows. I am told that he found out the same way you guys did, from SatelliteGuys! I also understand that he was NOT happy.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Believe me Charlie knows. I am told that he found out the same way you guys did, from SatelliteGuys! I also understand that he was NOT happy.

THAT IS FUNNY!! :D And probably true...

please update us

Matt_Stevens said:
I am on the trail of some new information and if it turns out to be true, good God, if you thought this week was nuts, just wait. It will be explosive. Were are talking nuclear meltdown here.

Developing...

So Matt,

Whatever happened here?

Mark

This is a very sad development I've been a loyal Dish Customer and supporter since 97. I presently own four Dish Receivers ( bought and paid for 7 receivers total from Dish)and pay Dish over 1400.00 a year in programming fees

I originally wanted a 921 But knowing Dishes History well previously owning a 7100 when it first came out and a PVR501,I decided to wait ( meanwhile being out of the loop for awhile) I was just was checking today on it's progress to read this?? will have to rethink my loyalty's to Dish and maybe make the Switch to D* ?

Thanks Scott

After 6 years, SO long DISH

I am mad at myself for jumping the gun and buying that darn 921 before I heard more detailed reviews about it and I am REALLY mad at Echostar for backing out on the advertised firewire.

Yes, advertised and if you don't believe me, Scott has posted some clips from the Chats where they explicitly say firewire will be enabled.

Funny, I used to compare Charlie Ergen to Scott Mcnealy. They both came across as being very revolutionary thinkers and their respective companies showed it.
That was then.
SUN is now in deep trouble and Echostar is now second fiddle to Directv.

My mind is made up.

Saturday, I am cancelling my account with DISH and putting the 921 up for sale.

I am told that I can get the HD DirectV TIVO in a few weeks so until them, it's DVD's and HD OTA.

I will getting a relatively bug free device with a GREAT user interface that has disk expansion capabilties.

Joe

I wish I could have gone the directv way but I can't stomach another install. I went with cable. Hopefully the Tivo opencable box will come to be and I will be happier than a pig in sh*t.
FREAK!

metallicafreak said:
I wish I could have gone the directv way but I can't stomach another install. I went with cable. Hopefully the Tivo opencable box will come to be and I will be happier than a pig in sh*t.
FREAK!
Freak, I think that was the good choice until things settle down and we get a better picture on the future of D* , E* and V* for HD. At least you don't have to shell out a bunch of $'s to get it installed and there's no commitment.

That is exactly it rad. I paid $0 for my cable install, got $25 credit per month towards my bill because I was a dish buy back. This meant that I had to maybe give them a dish (installer may or may not remove the dish) and did ahve to give them a satellite decoder. I picked one up off ebay for $15 shipped and had it ready. My installer said 'I have no idea what that is' so it really only cost me $15. I reduced my dish subscription to HBO/SHo/CBSHD/HD pack only for $28 per month so essentially my DIsh is free and I pay for cable per month NO COMMITMENTS. I can wlak away at any time. I get the $25 for 16 months. I just don't get it all if I do walk away...
and I am working on getting a DVR
FREAK!

It was on the Tech Forum, no Dishwire due to "Content Protection issues"...

I say, drop the price $200 to compensate for the broken promise and hardware...

As usual, the excuse sounds weak. If Motorola can do it, why can't dish? Doesn't 5C define the required content protection?

Unless, due to a design error, the 921 Firewire Port isn't properly maintaining the 5C flags.

David_Levin said:
As usual, the excuse sounds weak. If Motorola can do it, why can't dish? Doesn't 5C define the required content protection?

Unless, due to a design error, the 921 Firewire Port isn't properly maintaining the 5C flags.
I believe the 5C flag would be implemented at some level above the IEE1394 hardware level. :)

And even if "Content Protection" were a problem, that would NOT stop them from allowing HD offload - they could even over-encrypt the already encrypted video using the 921's serial number so that you couldn't even take the disk to use on your neighbor's 921 - like that would be any more of a "Content Protection" issue than carrying a DVD with you.

Foxbat said:
It was on the Tech Forum, no Dishwire due to "Content Protection issues"...

I say, drop the price $200 to compensate for the broken promise and hardware...
If that were to happen, my purchase would be back on (providing Dish doesn't decide to drop any other minor feature... like "recording" ;) )

SimpleSimon said:
And even if "Content Protection" were a problem, that would NOT stop them from allowing HD offload

Absolutely... They could still use the firewire to allow for external hard drives. They could encrypt as needed (I believe they are alreay encrypting the main hard drive data).

They've obviously decided there's no need. This will probably not change unless enough people jump the boat...

Comcast already has the firewire to DVHS. If they were to add hard drive support to the 6408 (dual tuner), I'd jump.

TiVo will be more tempting once they get the drive swaps ironed out, but I want to make sure my next provider has enough HD bandwidth (CinemaxHD & StarzHD).

HD Tivo Upgrade thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?&postid=1896712

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)