Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Knicks' Owner and Marbury Join Pursuit of Brown

By HOWARD BECK
Published: July 24, 2005
Larry Brown got a gift basket from his potential future employer and an unexpected phone call from his prospective star player yesterday, and it may be just a matter of hours before he meets with his possible future boss.

The gift basket, which included Knicks gear for Brown's children and treats from the Carnegie Deli, came courtesy of Isiah Thomas, the team president. The call came from Stephon Marbury, the Knicks' star point guard. The next critical meeting seems to be imminent.

Two people involved in the Knicks' discussions with Brown said that James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, is heading to East Hampton on Long Island to meet with Brown. There is a strong chance that meeting will take place today.

After that, Brown hopes to meet with Herb Williams, the man he may replace as the Knicks' head coach. Their meeting could happen as soon as tomorrow.

The flurry of activity could mean that the Knicks' protracted coaching search is entering its final days.

Brown, who parted ways with the Detroit Pistons on Tuesday, insists he has not decided whether to coach again, and he notes that he has not received a job offer from the Knicks. But the offer is considered a formality, and the only question is whether Brown is sufficiently intrigued, and healthy, to accept the challenge of a messy rebuilding effort. Brown turns 65 in September and is coping with a bladder condition.

He spent yesterday playing golf, cleaning the garage and deliberating his future in basketball with his wife, Shelly, and their two children.

"We're just kind of meeting as a family and kind of getting our heads straight," Brown said in a telephone interview.

The Knicks' courtship began in earnest Thursday night, when Thomas flew into East Hampton to meet with Brown, a Hall of Fame coach. On Friday, Marbury expressed his support for Brown in a radio interview. Marbury followed up by calling Brown yesterday.

Then came the gift basket from Thomas, which included personalized Knicks jerseys for Brown's children, 11-year-old L. J. and 8-year-old Madison.

"He's got my kids in his corner," Brown said. "My wife said, 'Isiah is good.' "

A formal offer could come sometime after Brown meets with Dolan and, most likely, Steve Mills, the chief operating officer of Madison Square Garden Sports.

"I'm thrilled that I would have a chance to meet with their owner," Brown said of Dolan.

His other priority is to meet with Williams, who coached the final three months of last season. Williams, who will be offered the job if Brown declines, has been in limbo for three months. Brown is sensitive to Williams's awkward situation.

"I really do need to visit with Herb," Brown said. "I think that's important for me."

Williams has a contract to remain as an assistant through next season, and Brown left no doubt that Williams would be part of his staff.

"He's been a Knick forever," Brown said. "I don't know many guys in our league that are any better people than him. He's a pretty special person. If it ever did come to pass, I want him to be comfortable with what's going on."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts