Jay Leno and the Tonight Show

paychekkk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Friday night I tuned in to The tonight show on NBC to see what it looks like in HD. I found that the show was not in full 16:9 aspect ratio. Is this normal. I thought like many other HD programs on NBC the tonight show would be HD 16:9 in full glory.

That's interesting because MOST of the NBC HD I get OTA is in 4:3 whereas Leno has ALWAYS been 16:9 when I watch it.:confused: Go figure???
Ed

What NBC HD are you talking about that is 4:3. I think you are just talking about OTA Digital channels (not HD).

old corps said:
That's interesting because MOST of the NBC HD I get OTA is in 4:3 whereas Leno has ALWAYS been 16:9 when I watch it.:confused: Go figure???
Ed

:confused:

NBC HD is in widescreen 16:9 even some of the SD stuff is widescreen like ER

99% of all HD is widescreen

If "MOST" of your HD from NBC is NOT widescreen you are either not watching HD or you have a setting incorrect

Jordan

Last edited:
Jordan420NBC HD is in widescreen 16:9 even some of the SD stuff is widescreen like ER.[/QUOTE said:
MY ER is HD and 16:9. I am not aware of ANY NBC that is ED (SD @16:9). PBS HD does a lot of that, but I've never noticed it on NBC.

Watching Leno tonight on OTA (KSDK-DT), it's in HD and 16:9. Always is here. The local affiliate often misses switches and has audio issues, but for the most part, it's actually one of the better shows for this affiliate.

During SNL Sat night, they had a partial-zoom in a 16:9 HD video, with no center channel, the surrounds were on a 5 minute delay, and they had a third audio feed from another program bleeding in. When all they do is forget to 'flip the switch,' it's a good night!

lakebum431 said:
What NBC HD are you talking about that is 4:3. I think you are just talking about OTA Digital channels (not HD).
Programs like Law & Order, ER, & Las Vegas for example appear to be HD to me but they are broadcast OTA in 4:3 from the local/yocal affiliate. Then the Tonight/Leno show appears in 16:9, no change in "settings". ABC & CBS HD OTA programs always display in 16:9. Same settings. ????:confused:
Ed
Maybe these shows are only being aired in ED by my local NBC but the pic quality appears to be HD to me.

Last edited:
ER and Las Vegas are always 16x9 widescreen here unless they are tape delayed like this week for the BIG 12 basketball tournament. It sounds like someone is not switching to the HD feed during primetime. It may look good in 4x3 because they are upconverting the signal for the digital channel.

I think that is exactly what the OP is seeing. They are digital, but not in HD. If they were really in HD they would be widescreen. Thanks stinks that your local affiliate doesn't do HD yet.

Jim5506 said:
MY ER is HD and 16:9. I am not aware of ANY NBC that is ED (SD @16:9). PBS HD does a lot of that, but I've never noticed it on NBC.

ER is broadcast letterboxed in Stanbdard Defination on the analog OTA channel, it is also letterboxed on my SD locals from dish. KING 5 Seattle, 8612 on E*.

I remember getting my first HD set in 2000 and couldn't wait to see the Tonight Show in HD for the first time. I tuned in and found it in SD. My local affiliate was only broadcasting in digital SD at the time. I had to wait another year before they upgraded to HD.

All my local stations forget to "flip the switch" on occasion. It is very frustrating when trying to watch a movie.

I often see that someone forgot to "flip the switch". It starts with HD but after the first batch of local ads, it remains SD. It takes a couple of such cycles to rectify it.

4:3 is not HD!

old corps said:
Programs like Law & Order, ER, & Las Vegas for example appear to be HD to me but they are broadcast OTA in 4:3 from the local/yocal affiliate.

If they're 4:3 they're not HD. All of those shows on NBC are 16:9. Your local station is screwin' up real bad. I suggest you give them a friendly phone call and ask them about it.

Larry
SF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)