Joey problems?

Cat_Fan

Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Ks
I referred my parents a couple years ago to Dish and they got the hopper 3 and 2 wired joey's. Everything worked great for over 6 months, but then their joey's started freezing up. The time on the joey's would also be off by up to a few hours. It'd take multiple power cycles of the joeys to get them to power on. The hopper was replaced for this along with the LNB(?). It didn't remedy the problem. After this they moved temporarily to another state. They had a new dish and new wiring installed down there. They took the hopper and 1 joey with them and it was still messing up on them. They just recently moved back, and their installer swapped out the wired joeys with wireless joeys. That seemed to lessen the problem, but the time can still be up to an hour off and sometimes the joeys will freeze or not power on. It only takes 1 power cycle now to fix it, so I guess that's an improvement at least. Any other suggestions? Their contract is up in August and if it's not fixed by then, they'll be heading back to Direct. Thanks in advance for any help!

Did the Tech replace the Solo Hub? Make sure all connectors were tight, authorized and seated correctly? Did he make sure no connections had water damage? Did he check the cabling for kinks, damage, etc? Did he try resetting the Network on the Joeys or disable Bridging if they use a Hot Spot to connect the Hopper? Did he check voltage at outlet the Hopper is plugged into? And finally, the first thing he should have done, did he ensure that the line from Dish to Hooper was 3Ghz??

All of those things i listed can cause the issues they're having.
Now since it happens in the other state, then it HAS to be the Hopper, even though it was replaced. 1 Joey going bad is rare. 2 Joeys at the same time doing the same thing? Really rare

Reactions: littlecloud319
Wow HipKat. If only every tech could think to check that stuff the first time. Doesn’t it effect their pay if another tech has to go back to fix the same thing?
Yes it does. Some companies back charge the original tech - since Dish tracks back 60 days on return visits, but most who use Metrics - an R12 or return withing 12 days is a major effect on a techs's pay if he has enough to not pass that threshhold

Reactions: littlecloud319
Well, they're still in the same boat. The tech had replaced the solo hub on the very first visit. The tech came out and "reprogrammed the software" according to my mom, a few days ago. The joeys still messed up last night. I'm curious, would there be a way I could swap their hopper 3 with mine to eliminate that part of the equation? Or are the joeys tied to them also, and we'd need to swap all the boxes between houses to completely eliminate a wiring issue and narrow it down to the hopper? The frustration level is getting up there as this has been going on for months now.

Just to let everyone know, and thanks for everyones input, but this looks to be solved. When my folks first go their dish, they didn't have internet. Well, they do now, so the tech had them go in and turn bridging off, which seems to have done the trick. Been up an running a week tomorrow with no freezing or lockups.

Just to let everyone know, and thanks for everyones input, but this looks to be solved. When my folks first go their dish, they didn't have internet. Well, they do now, so the tech had them go in and turn bridging off, which seems to have done the trick. Been up an running a week tomorrow with no freezing or lockups.

Glad you got it fixed. I will remember that solution if I see a problem like that in the future. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. :)