Joey with Dish USB Wifi adapter connected to Hopper via AC router on 5GHz Wifi

nagyg

Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I know this is not supported, but I have no other way to connect ...

Hopper is connected to ASUS RT-AC66u via wired Ethernet
Joey is connected via Wifi 5GHz with the Dish Wifi USB adapter

When I watch life TV its works absolutely flawlessly, but when I watch recorded shows there are lots of freezes, sound drops and pixelations. Why would there be a difference?

(Also, when I stream to AppleTV in the same location there are no issue, and no, I don't do it concurrently)

I don't think the Dish Wifi adapter supports 5Ghz. Are you sure it's connecting at that frequency? ( EDIT: I looked it up it does. )In any case, this isn't an officially supported method for connecting Joeys to Hoppers. Yes, as you can see it does work, but there's no guarantees. You would be better served with a Wireless Joey when those are released.

I have the same setup but with an Apple router and mine works flawlessly. Sometimes things go haywire but a reboot of the Hopper fixes it.

The Dish WiFi adapter supports 802.11abgn. Therefore it supports both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrum. The new wireless Joey will be running on 802.11ac (5GHz.) 802.11ac is what will eventually be replacing 802.11n.

I had my Joey on WiFi for two years with no issues. It's now on Ethernet, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The Dish WiFi adapter supports 802.11abgn. Therefore it supports both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrum. The new wireless Joey will be running on 802.11ac (5GHz.) 802.11ac is what will eventually be replacing 802.11n.

From a spec standpoint 5 GHz is optional for 802.11n and there is a lot of stuff on 802.11n that only operates on the 2.4 GHz band.

I'm not saying you are wrong about the dish stuff operating on the 5GHz band. Support of 802.11n is not ipso facto support of the optional 5 GHz band.

On 802.11ac the wireless radio has to be on 5 GHz. The inclusion of 802.11n on the 5 GHz band is almost always there with 802.11ac.

I had my Joey on WiFi for two years with no issues. It's now on Ethernet, no issues.

I use wired whenever possible as it has more predictable performance.

No experience with the dish wireless adapters.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

From a spec standpoint 5 GHz is optional for 802.11n and there is a lot of stuff on 802.11n that only operates on the 2.4 GHz band.

I'm not saying you are wrong about the dish stuff operating on the 5GHz band. Support of 802.11n is not ipso facto support of the optional 5 GHz band.

On 802.11ac the wireless radio has to be on 5 GHz. The inclusion of 802.11n on the 5 GHz band is almost always there with 802.11ac.

I use wired whenever possible as it has more predictable performance.

No experience with the dish wireless adapters.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

5GHz is optional for 802.11n, yes, however 5GHz support is usually notated by the inclusion of 802.11a support e.g. 802.11abgn adapters will support the 5GHz spectrum whereas 802.11bgn adapters will only support the 2.4GHz spectrum.

Without a doubt, I always go wired whenever possible. Even 802.11ac will be no match for gigabit Ethernet.

I am new to this forum and your post above interests me. I am using the Hopper and I have three Joeys. In fact I am just about to set up the Joeys when I read that the wireless connections do not support video streaming. Is this correct?

I appreciate your response.

B

I am new to this forum and your post above interests me. I am using the Hopper and I have three Joeys. In fact I am just about to set up the Joeys when I read that the wireless connections do not support video streaming. Is this correct?

B

what kind of streaming do you mean? blockbuster or something?

well, I wouldn't call that streaming. a joey just uses and displays a hopper's tuners and dvr, whether connected via cable or wireless. unless I am misunderstanding your question.

B

Joey on WiFi can do almost anything it can do on coax :) .

Joey on WiFi can do almost anything it can do on coax :) .

Thanks for your quick response.

Then could you explained this to me:

USb WiFi adapter connected to Hopper(s) • does not support streaming video content • achieves the minimum connectivity needed, for example, to order ppV via your remote control

The above was copied from a Dish Installation manual.

Thanks

B

No connecting a joey 1.0 using a Wi-Fi adapter will allow you to watch all dish programming, as long as your hopper is connected to your network. When they say it's not supported, they mean dish network themselves do not support this type of setup for those joeys. Mainly because there's too many factors that could degrade picture quality. Bandwidth, Wi-Fi interference, etc...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No connecting a joey 1.0 using a Wi-Fi adapter will allow you to watch all dish programming, as long as your hopper is connected to your network. When they say it's not supported, they mean dish network themselves do not support this type of setup for those joeys. Mainly because there's too many factors that could degrade picture quality. Bandwidth, Wi-Fi interference, etc...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thank you for your explanation.

I am a 64 year old and and sometimes the technology instructions are not quite clear. I was a bit worried as some of my rooms were not hard wired and I was looking forward to use the wireless properties of the Joeys. Now the other problem is how to stream Dish Network to my iMac.

Thanks again

B

Thank you for your explanation.

I am a 64 year old and and sometimes the technology instructions are not quite clear. I was a bit worried as some of my rooms were not hard wired and I was looking forward to use the wireless properties of the Joeys. Now the other problem is how to stream Dish Network to my iMac.

Thanks again

B

Wait for the Wireless Joeys. They should give you the best experience if you need Joey's in rooms that don't have coax.

On your iMac, DishAnywhere.com is supported by Safari version 5.0 and higher. Or use "real" browsers like Firefox or Google Chrome. ;)

I just had a new screen room built and I wanted to put a tv out there. I read that new wireless Joeys were coming and in the process learned of the unsupported method with 1.0 joeys. I already had a dish wireless network adapter so I gave it a shot.

It works pretty well. Not perfect, but good enough. Most of my problems stem from the Joey searching for the hopper. The hopper is also connected to the network via wifi. Sometimes I need to do receiver resets, but only on occasion. I rarely have any video or audio problems.

My intent is for this to be a temporary solution until the supported wireless joeys are available. Plus I took a Joey from a tv which I need to replace with another Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)