Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

CulpeperUplink

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Culpeper,VA
I was cleaning up a Joey install by mounting it to the wall and unhooked the coax and what do you know it still kept playing live TV. I can change channels pause rewind, looks Like everything still works. Did not think that would work. I do have a Ethernet cable hooked up so it must be using that connection. I made a video but can't post that here if someone can help me figure out a way let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

post the video to youtube as a private video if you wish and then link it here. [ youtube ] youtube link [ /youtube ]
(no spaces on the link or in the brackets)

Here is my setup detail:

2 hoppers 2 joeys
Hopper software version s207
Joey software version s259

Duo node one Joey connected to each client port except for the one the I have unhooked now.

I can still change which hopper this Joey connects too.

Any other things someone think I can test?

I know back when we were calling this the XiP813 Dish talked about this as a connection method, however stated it would not work for now.
I can watch DVR content off both hoppers.

If I unplug the Ethernet tv stops after 10 sec. Plug it back in and I am back to good TV.

Reboot the Joey and it comes backup just fine.

Makes sense that it can view TV via Ethernet or MoCA as MoCA can be just another form of Ethernet over coax. I would think that any wireless bridge that has an Ethernet interface could theoretically work with the H/J. The main concern there is wireless interference, though.

Well this is pretty cool. I just tried the same thing. I disconnected the coax from my Joey, which is Ethernet-connected. Turned it on and had no issues watching live TV or watching DVR content.

Oaky so I have tried about every feature I can think of and no problems, other than my ethjo (Ethernet connected Joey) seams do be a little slower to respond to some commands like switching hoppers. Under MoCA it took about 2 seconds to switch, now I am looking at 6-7 seconds.

However, this might be my jack legged cat5 cabling, I only have one run between my distribution point and the third floor ( I got the house this way) and i wanted data and a telephone line up there, so I am running both data and tel over the same cable and then split it in the attic to all bedrooms with some cable I ran. So I am sure it as some errors on the data side.

I wonder if DIRT can run this up the flag pole, as to best of my knowledge this is not officially supported and the only thing that does not work is something like getting updated software for the Joeys. I would hate to be the reason for a bunch of TCs.

:)

Crazy... actually works (just happened to have an extra wireless bridge that was setup but unused)

1) I have my HIC connected to coax to my network.
2) I have a Joey only connected via a DD-WRT wireless bridge (coax disconnected at the joey)
3) I'm seeing video and can change channels over the wireless bridge....

I was very much under the impression that this wasn't ready yet, but it does work!

i think the catch is how nice a wireless bridge setup that you can reliably make (to connect the joey wirelessly). I'm seeing some artifacts and dropouts in the video, but i bet with enough tinkering i could get it running pretty nicely.

It's working impressively well for me. This was only with just connecting it as a quick test to see what happens and no tweaking.... lol

(wireless bridge is in the next room over from the router, which is fairly close)

But do you really want the constant high data rate stream going over your home internet network, potentially slowing down your other data needs? Its cute that it works, but I prefer that my data streams and my video streams stay on their own networks.

But do you really want the constant high data rate stream going over your home internet network, potentially slowing down your other data needs? Its cute that it works, but I prefer that my data streams and my video streams stay on their own networks.
depends on what your data needs are on your home network and how much this slows things down.

In my non-expert opinion, i bet you could setup the network so it's not so much of an issue. The fact that it works is only a good thing... options are good....

On the surface, it doesn't seem like it's slowing down much at all on my home network based on my personal use.

Last edited:
Compressed HD data is not going to slow down a modern network. However, Dish had to make it's own MOCA network, that it can control... Otherwise, they would have to troubleshoot everyones home networks & do service calls when someone has a PC virus killing their network.

It's cute that it can fall back to this, but it will never be the supported way to connect, as it's a network out of Dish control.

Interesting. It might actually be easier for me to run a Joey off cat 5 in a couple of locations.