Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

I am running both my Joey's via network on powerline networks. It is allowing me to not dig in coax from the house to the art studio that is 40 feet away.

i am really curious to know how the remote works in a seperate building. i dont understand whether itis strictly uhf or uses moca. i would like to know becuase so far i have cancelld several installs where the customer wanted a joey in an outbuilding because i assumed the remotes would not work.

i am really curious to know how the remote works in a seperate building. i dont understand whether itis strictly uhf or uses moca. i would like to know becuase so far i have cancelld several installs where the customer wanted a joey in an outbuilding because i assumed the remotes would not work.

The Joey is in the separate building connected directly to the TV, so no issues with the remote. The Joey is connected to the Hopper through a network connection (hard wired or wireless).

The Joey is in the separate building connected directly to the TV, so no issues with the remote. The Joey is connected to the Hopper through a network connection (hard wired or wireless).
right, but since the hopper is the brains of the system, i am wondering HOW the command is proccesed when you push a button on the joey remote in the outbuilding. if it is sending a uhf signal back to the antenna on the hopper, you may be lucky it works at all.

right, but since the hopper is the brains of the system, i am wondering HOW the command is proccesed when you push a button on the joey remote in the outbuilding. if it is sending a uhf signal back to the antenna on the hopper, you may be lucky it works at all.
The joey remote is linked to and talks to the joey, not the hopper. As long as there is a network connection with adequate bandwidth between joey and it's hopper, the joey could be in in LA and the Hopper in New York and it would work fine.

sca said:

Joeys have their own internal antennas I think Matt (dirt) confirmed this in another post. Joeys are just network clients to the hoppers. They still think, but the hoppers do the heavy lifting when it comes to getting the data from the satilite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using SatelliteGuys

so we are saying, that distance from the hopper is not an issue (aside from cable limitations) and outbuildings can be installed with no issues?
edit: i see jm42 above stated this is true.
ok good to know. i will stop cancelling those jobs
:)

agarrett22 said:
Joeys have their own internal antennas I think Matt (dirt) confirmed this in another post. Joeys are just network clients to the hoppers. They still think, but the hoppers do the heavy lifting when it comes to getting the data from the satilite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using SatelliteGuys

That is correct about the built in antennas.

Okay so I have been reading on here about this and I just had to test it for the hell of it, So I called up dish ordered the wifi adapter and they mailed one. So I installed it unplugged the cable and the screen went blank about 30 seconds later the picture came back and I was amazed I'm like omg it worked I'm screaming honey come look at this you can watch tv without a cable cord, (other half didn't care one bit) I was like what a feat of engineering I could stick a tv in the middle of a room now with out running a cable cord to it is awesome. Who would have thought we could do wireless cable. Now I'm not sure what my router thought of it because I didn't leave it on there long enough to test that aspect of it but I'm sure that sucks some serious bandwidth.

Now I'm not sure what my router thought of it because I didn't leave it on there long enough to test that aspect of it but I'm sure that sucks some serious bandwidth.

Not really, only about 8mbps.

gamerxe said:
I think that number varies depending on the network....mine pulls at 15-18mbps...but, i agree that it isn't that much of a load..

I have never seen my wireless Joey pull 15-18Mbps.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Is it wireless at both ends or just the Joey end?
I just did it to the joey I'm not screwing around with any of my hoppers to find out. Someone else needs to do that. I noticed a slight instability in my entire hopper moca network thingy for a couple of day's after I did this. Things didn't work exactly right like some hoppers lost internet connections then I couldn't see the other hoppers and other things. It took a few days for the system to correct whatever I messed up, it finally fixed itself but whatever I did when I activated the wireless part did cause some kind of stability issue. It took a few days for the system to auto correct but it finally did.

I've had one of the Joeys on WiFi for about 5 months now with no MoCA stability issues.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

There is only one officially support Wifi adapter that will work with Dish equipment and Dish sells it for $25. By same network I meant same broadband network in your home, connected to the same router.

Netgear (Model WNDA3100v2) Wi-Fi Broadband Connector

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)