Joeys: What's the Diff

JerryBob

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Las Cruces, NM
I see a bunch of nomenclature tossed around about Joeys. I currently have a Hopper w/Sling with a Joey that identifies itself as a "Super Joey".
What I would like to know is, what is the difference between a "Joey", "Super Joey", "Joey 2" and "Joey +4k" (Although the 4k moniker seems to be self-explanatory).
The bottom line here is I am considering upgrading to a Hopper 3, as my Hopper w/Sling appears to be failing. Am I going to have problems just upgrading the Hopper and not the Joey?
TIA

Joey is the original Joey that was introduced with the hopper 2000 (Hopper1) and is known for its slow response.
Joey2 is a second generation Joey introduced with the Hopper with Sling, a little faster than the Joey1.
Joey 3 is the 3rd generation standard Joey it is the fastest standard Joey.
Super Joey is an early version of the Joey with 2 additional tuners able to give you 5 available satellite tuners, only compatible with Hopper 2000 and the Hopper W/Sling.
Joey 4K was the first 4K capable Joey but it could not resolve HDR and other advanced video capabilities, only good for non-HDR satellite programming although it can resolve streamed 4K materials.
Joey 4 is the latest Joey, it is primarily associated with the Hopper+ (an appliance added to a Hopper w/Sling or a Hopper3 allowing widespread streaming apps in addition to being capable of producing 4K HDR programming to an attached 4K HDR TV.

The Super Joey is not compatible with the Hopper3 (H3) as its 2 additional tuners are not needed with the 16 tuner H3.

See about getting either a Joey 3 for the second TV you use or if that TV is 4K HDR get a Hopper3 with the Hopper+ added and a Joey 4.

I believe all this information is correct but if not it will at least prompt someone to add their $0.02.

Last edited:
Joey is the original Joey that was introduced with the hopper 2000 (Hopper1) and is known for its slow response.
Joey2 is a second generation Joey introduced with the Hopper with Sling, a little faster than the Joey1.
Super Joey is an early version of the Joey with 2 additional tuners able to give you 5 available satellite tuners, only compatible with Hopper 2000 and the Hopper W/Sling.
Joey 4K was the first 4K capable Joey but it could not resolve HDR and other advanced video capabilities, only good for non-HDR satellite programming although it can resolve streamed 4K materials.
Joey 4 is the latest Joey, it is primarily associated with the Hopper+ (an appliance added to a Hopper w/Sling or a Hopper3 allowing widespread streaming apps in addition to being capable of producing 4K HDR programming to an attached 4K HDR TV.

The Super Joey is not compatible with the Hopper3 (H3) as its 2 additional tuners are not needed with the 16 tuner H3.

See about getting either a Joey 3 for the second TV you use or if that TV is 4K HDR get a Hopper3 with the Hopper+ added and a Joey 4.

I believe all this information is correct but if not it will at least prompt someone to add their $0.02.
And that doesn't include the Wireless Joeys and does showcase how Dish needs to scrap some of these

Thank you very much for your clear and comprehensive explanation.
My next Noob question is: If I order a Hopper 3 and 4k Joey to replace my Hopper w/Sling--Super Joey, is this a "Plug & Play" setup for my cabled installation?
TIA

My next Noob question is: If I order a Hopper 3 and 4k Joey to replace my Hopper w/Sling--Super Joey, is this a "Plug & Play" setup for my cabled installation?
Depends on your current satellite dish LNB/wiring. If you are running a Hybrid system alongside a Solo Hub, then yes. But if you are on the older DPP + Solo Node system then you will need to upgrade to Hybrid equipment. You can check what you have on the Dish screen of your Hopper (Home x 3 >> Option 3).
If you get the upgrade through Dish it won’t really matter, you will be provided the right equipment.

Reactions: charlesrshell
isn't there also a newer wireless joey version?
Yes, there's a Wireless Joey that's similar to Joey 2 but requires a Dish Wirelss access point connected to H3 to work wireless, this is not 4k compatible, it can also be connected directly to H3 by Ethernet cable., instead of using wireless access point.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Other than the 4K. Is there any difference between the 4K Joey and the Joey 3. Such as picture quality or guide speed response.