Jury broadly clears News Corp unit in DISH suit

How can anyone comment its a bad decision when you were not in the court room. Keep on listening to news reports to formulate your decision. The jury may have made the right decision based on the information provided to them.

That is true - the jury must base their decision on the facts of the case in addition to the judge's instructions. While they may have wanted to vote one way it could have been the judge's instructions that forced their hands. That happened on a jury I was on last year.

I guess that puts the cost back on us now. Eventually, in one way or another.. we will be paying for it.

That really does suck.... the one lawsuit that looked like DISH might actually be able to win, and they blow that too.

From a person who happened to love the pure cat and mouse game between nds and nagrastar vs
" the evil satellite hacker" NDS did have a person break the first series of "blue" dish network smart cards. There were multiple rev of the blue cards so I wont go too deeply into that subject. So this guy cracks the security on them, for NDS. Problem is NDS admits to hiring and admitted to asking him to break security of Nagra and Canal+ based Cams ( Conditional Access Modules ) as not all cams are smart cards. Anyway where dish lost this case was proving that NDS then asked the hacker to post the information on how to break into these cards on the net. Dish was unable to directly link the posting on how to open and modify the original versions of the blue smart cards (R2, R3) to NDS. Hacker admitted he did it and that NDS bosses asked him too but no supporting evidence behind those claims. The only way for the hackers testimony to carry any weight was if Canal+ lawsuit a couple of years ago had been won. As that would of given a history in purposely cracking and then posting on the web trade secrets.

NDS is pretty untouchable and at times pretty damn shady for a company that just makes CAM technologies and STB designs.

sounds like Dish needs a new Legal team

With their current track record Dish needs some better legal minds to work with them .Either they got bad advise re what could be proven or they over reached in this suit.
But they aren't doing well with any of their legal positions so I would look to add a New legal department ASAP otherwise these legal blunders and fees will make some serious dents in their position.:confused:

With their current track record Dish needs some better legal minds to work with them .Either they got bad advise re what could be proven or they over reached in this suit.
But they aren't doing well with any of their legal positions so I would look to add a New legal department ASAP otherwise these legal blunders and fees will make some serious dents in their position.:confused:

A part of me wants to agree with this, but the other part of me says, maybe they shouldn't get themselves in so many bad situations to begin with. It seems like most of the lawsuits, Dish is on the wrong end, and therefore, that's why they continue to be on the "wrong end" win the verdict comes down. Sometimes, it doesn't matter who you have as your legal team. When you dig yourself a whole, sometimes it caves in, sometimes it's too deep, and sometimes the rope just isn't strong enough to pull you out.

I think this is the one lawsuit they should have been able to bring home a verdict, but I guess at some point, when things just aren't going your way, they really don't go your way.

It's really too bad, you would think they would have focused more on the release of the data and tried to tie it all together, such as the "bonus" the hacker received, supposedly at or around the same time when the code was originally released on the net.

This would have been a nice win to perhaps offset the Tivo settlement/verdict.

Ugh. Nagravision was hacked by NDS. They rented an electron microscope to examine the Nagravision smart cards. There is no other legitimate use for that--NDS does not need the microscope to examine their own product!! They broke the Nagravision system and covertly released it onto the internet.

It's hard to convince any jury of this, but I wonder if they were able to prove the electron microscope issue (or if they even brought it up).

Ugh. Nagravision was hacked by NDS. They rented an electron microscope to examine the Nagravision smart cards. There is no other legitimate use for that--NDS does not need the microscope to examine their own product!! They broke the Nagravision system and covertly released it onto the internet.

It's hard to convince any jury of this, but I wonder if they were able to prove the electron microscope issue (or if they even brought it up).

Any company that has a R&D division (NDS) has this equipment. We must have 10 various types of E-BEAM microscopes at work.

http://www.hitachi-hta.com/media/Hitachi%203D-TEMs%20xf1206.pdf
Hitachi High Technologies America : I-5320 E-Beam Wafer Inspection System

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)