Just bought a Samsung UN65NU8000FXZA now my DISH programming looks terrible

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok, OK, I can't take it anymore. What the HELL is Judder???
Film uses 24 frames per second, TV broadcasts in NTSC/ATSC is 30 or 60 fps. 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly, so you end up with a 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3... cadence to make the one second of film fit into the 60 frames of video transmitted. Some of use are overly-sensitive to the extra half-beat and see this as a "judder" when panning the camera or an object moving across the screen.

120Hz refresh rates on a panel allows 24 fps input to be displayed as 5-5-5-5-5... which should eliminate the judder while preserving the "cinema" look.

Last edited:
Film uses 24 frames per second, TV broadcasts in NTSC/ATSC is 30 or 60 fps. 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly, so you end up with a 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3... cadence to make the one second of film fit into the 60 frames of video transmitted. Some of use are overly-sensitive to the extra half-beat and see this as a "judder" when panning the camera or an object moving across the screen.

120Hz refresh rates on a panel allows 24 fps input to be displayed as 5-5-5-5-5... which should eliminate the judder while preserving the "cinema" look.
Thank you!!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That is the textbook definition of judder, so perhaps it isn't the right word for what I am seeing. I see it on almost every channel I watch on Dish or Directv, so not just 24fps content. I saw it last night when watching a recording of Blade Runner 2049 from HBO, and I saw it this morning during an interview on CNN's The 2000s. It is likely dropped frames or something else that affects frame rate. I don't see it all of the time, so it might be something in the transcoder Directv and now Dish are using which is adaptive. It seems like, at least in both of the recent examples, it is when there is slower motion on the screen, and I seem to recall the same with Directv. Scott Greczkowski told us Dish was updating their transcoders last fall, so maybe now Dish and Directv are both doing something in software that favors picture clarity over frame rate, and it doesn't handle scenes with slower motion well for some reason. Of course, that is all speculation on my part.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The only time I see any type of judder is when I start watching a recording in progress from the start. When I skip all the commercials and get caught up to the live recording (still in progress) it starts juddering the picture and sound real bad. I normally back it up a minute the issue goes away.

The only time I see any type of judder is when I start watching a recording in progress from the start. When I skip all the commercials and get caught up to the live recording (still in progress) it starts juddering the picture and sound real bad. I normally back it up a minute the issue goes away.

That is interesting and different from what I see. I never have any sound issues that correspond to the judder.

Got to agree.

I looked at Samsung, LG, Sony and others recently.

I’m no Sony fan, had some bad equipment from them before and am somewhat gun shy. But they delivered the goods and gave the best PQ, outside of OLED. I decided against OLED for cost, mostly, but they have their own concerns. I doubt today’s OLEDs will be in use in ten years, but I’m sure my Sony OLED will be.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Stormy_2021
I've heard from multiple sources that Sony buys their OLED panels from LG. What a picture!

I get terrible "judder" if I'm watching a show I've paused and are about 1-30 seconds behind real time. It's as if there is a problem with the disk read/write subsystem when the physical tracks on disk are too close. Or perhaps my disk is terribly fragmented. Workaround is to skip to live or pause a bit more - and this has been a problem with both a hopper 2 and 3.

But they delivered the goods and gave the best PQ, outside of OLED!
Only two TVs, that I know of, were superior right at the base level: The original Sony Trinitron with it's aperture grill (instead of a shadow mask) and OLED. Otherwise, it's what drives your display instead of the display itself. Back when I was with JVC (late 80s) and RCA's COTY tube was getting press, I asked a visiting muckety muck (from Yokohama, head of the TV division) "Who makes our tube?" He thought a second and said, "Rowest bittah" ("lowest bidder" for you who don't speak Japanese). What he meant was, "Who cares....it's just a jug". And he was right. As I said, other than the patented Trinitron system, it WAS just a jug with color phosphors. HOW you manipulated the electrons that hit those phosphors was what counted.

Which brings us to OLED. Because no one has figured out a way to make an even remotely reasonably priced OLED screen other than LG (who, wisely, it seems) paid $100 million to Kodak for the WOLED technology, it's LG you've got to dance with. Now I bought one a couple of years ago (when the finally came out with a flat screen version) and while the absolute black means it's the closest thing to perfection I have ever seen, there are obvious flaws in it's video processing. They simply do not have the experience or knowhow to do what Sony does. So though a Sony OLED set will have the exact same panel supplied by LG, I would, in no way, be surprised that it created a better picture. The good news is that OLED prices are really coming down. For the price I paid for my 55", you can now get the 65" and the 55" is 1/3 less. And AVS is telling me that LG is getting better with their video processing as well.

Reactions: ncted and pattykay
Another long-time Sony fan here. I had a few Samsungs over the years, and the only one that still works is the 32" CCFL LCD in the kitchen. I've never had a Sony die on me. I even wish I had gone with Sony for my living room AVR as they seem to be one of the only ones that correctly determines when to up-mix 2.0 to 5.1/7.2, unlike my Pioneer. As long as Sony remembers that we expect to get more when we pay more, I will continue to buy Sony TVs for any location I care about. (The Insignia in the home gym room does not count, although it is hooked up to a decade-old Sony AVR)

That said, I am sure the Samsung the OP bought has a very nice picture for the money.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts