Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just FYI...

I monitor the site regularly to make sure the site is running as good as can be.

At my office I have access to four separate Internet providers so that I can monitor things.

Currently people using Comcast might have trouble accessing the site. I am seeing a backbone failure after ebr1.washington1.level3.net. All packets after that point are being lost.

I am not having any issue connecting to the sight via Speakeasy, At&t, and sprint.

The server is running well so if you are having trouble getting here it could be do to this backbone failure on level3's network. Hopefully they fix it soon. :)

On comcast as well... one that primarily routes through that router
Had some DNS issues earlier today.
Good thing I got a local cache resolver...:D

Funny enough, over the weekend, the San Diego router was having issues as well

Sight...

What you ought to do is get proxies that are located in various geographic areas... Then, use multiple browsers and Operating Systems to monitor the website...... (your choice...) Try this out and see how it works for you....

That would better simulate what users experience....

Otherwise,

SO WHAT IF YOU HAVE FOUR WAYS TO GET FROM CONNECTICUT TO DALLAS TEXAS....

PS:

How is it useful to hear how Scott doesn't have a problem seeing the website when users complain about outages.......

If the users can't see SatGuys or have a problem with SatGuys, that's no consolation....

Capiche?

No Capiche.

I can't control the internet backbone, I can only control our server. And if our server is running FLAWLESSLY from 3 of the 4 internet connections I have then its not a server problem its a backbone problem, and its something I have no control over

Capiche?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am noticing speed issue on this site here in Maine. I have tried 2 different connections with the same result. I have tried AT&T & GWI with same result.

If its' not the Server, then it's got to be the internet to the server or the ISP you use for internet to the server.

I am noticing speed issue on this site here in Maine. I have tried 2 different connections with the same result. I have tried AT&T & GWI with same result.

I'm on GWI Commercial at home and I haven't been noticing slowness. If you are, you should do a traceroute shortly after noticing it to see if you can find the failed/slow hop.

Not, If there was a routing issue somewhere for that ISP.

It just doesn't make sense how this slow for me on 2 connections in Maine & slow for other people. But, it's just find for you & other people.

I work for a ISP & I believe it's got to a routing problem somewhere.

Josh
There is not a routing issue with our ISP,there are however routing issues TO our ISP. And looking at some tracert show that the issue that some are having is WAY outside our ISP. Lots of issues un NY and Washington DC. (Our server is in Dallas Texas)

We have over 1,500 members online at all times, and if it was slow for all of them we would hear about it. (and trust me we would hear about it). But as you can see less then 10 folks are reporting any speed issues. We also have staff all over the country that tests the site using various accounts and all is fine for them as well.

There is nothing we can do with backbone issues, we can only work to keep our server operating at top speed, which indeed its doing.

If its' not the Server, then it's got to be the internet to the server or the ISP you use for internet to the server.

If that was the case it would be bad for everyone. :(

Not necessarily.

There can be other failure modes. There are other failure modes.

With all due respect, this is what separates the best from the rest.

When accessing Satellite Guys, since the changes at around the time of Christmnas week: -- For me, when using Firefox to see the SatGuys website, it works fine. When using IE, it is very problematic. How is that a backbone issue?

You could say the problem is on my PC. But the same problem happens at home and when testing at work. -- Different PCs. Yes, they are two different Windows PCs, but they were built in totally different ways. They use totally different network paths.

Seems like the people listening to the complaints have addressed this to their satisfaction.

I have concluded expressing feedback about this issue.

SEE YA!

:shh

EDIT:
I HATE how Firefox and IE8 (a clone of Firefox) handles tab spawning. Not too great of an option to switch

Last edited:
i having problems also, its way too slow, also when i try too read the next page of a thread, it kinda locks up or just take way too long. i am on dsl here in denver.

I am still having exactly the same problem. Sometimes the site will not open at all, locks up with "one item remaining". If I refresh it, it opens immediately. Switching pages it is sometimes very slow, sometimes locks up completely. It's not a cache issue. I don't have any viruses or malware. Running IE8.
This is the only site I have a problem with. It seems to be related in some way to the ads on the page.

I have ad blocking software installed, so maybe that's why I'm not experiencing problems at all. I have Glimmerblocker and Adblock Plus (Firefox) running.

I have ad blocking software installed, so maybe that's why I'm not experiencing problems at all. I have Glimmerblocker and Adblock Plus (Firefox) running.
You are also a supporter so you don't see the ads. (Thank you! We have a big bandwidth bill coming up in February, so your support and the support of all pub members is VERY appreciated!) :)

You are also a supporter so you don't see the ads. (Thank you! We have a big bandwidth bill coming up in February, so your support and the support of all pub members is VERY appreciated!) :)

No problem at all Scott. Maybe you're onto something there. People who want a faster experience should pay up... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts