Just FYI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just FYI...

As of May 15th I am no longer working for DISH Network. As many of you know I was hired last year by DISH Network to setup their DISHsupport.COM portal. This weekend I handed over control of the DISHsupport.COM site to the DISH Network Team.

So for those who liked rubbing it in that I was on the DISH Network payroll, well you can't do that anymore. ;)

I just wanted to clear the air and also thank DISH Network for having me. :)

I'm sure Eva can come up with ways to fill those newly available hours!

I think people here were pretty understanding about the gig with DISH. I don't know how Multichannel News felt about it but i don't recall a lot of pushback here.

In my opinion, you never lost your objectivity so it really didn't matter. Also, you didn't keep it quiet.

And basically Dish has changed the format (ruined in my opinion) to an ordinary site instead of a specialized help site. I am about ready to quit going there.

I think the technical question sections are still there, and the DIRT team has joined over there too. But I see what you mean about the addition of programming blather. :eek: That could easily overwhelm the technical questions by sheer numbers. The new moderator is even wasting braincells doing a poll about Glee. :p

Looking at the rules, I see what I believe to be a new prohibition:

Discussion of “video extraction,” that is to say any discussion that is related to extracting digital video content from a DISH Network receiver (due to copyright issues).

Since when is this a verbotten subject? My reading of the DMCA holds that unencrypted content is free game.

The stuff on the EHD is encrypted, and I believe they would say the extracting it from the receiver is a direct contradiction of the DRM they put in place.

That may be what they intended to say, but the wording was "from a DISH Network receiver", not from an EHD. What "DRM they put in place" are you talking about regarding the receiver itself? The fact that programs get encrypted when moved to the EHD?

Dish's signal is ALSO encrypted and therefore protected by DMCA, so there is no LEGAL way to get at the content outside of Dish's software, from what I can tell.

However, I am NOT a lawyer.

I do deal with IP rights issues due to who I work for during the day.

And basically Dish has changed the format (ruined in my opinion) to an ordinary site instead of a specialized help site. I am about ready to quit going there.

Instead of a specialized help site DISHSupport.com will cover anything related to DISH Network service. This includes customer service issues, programming and technical support.

I think the technical question sections are still there, and the DIRT team has joined over there too. But I see what you mean about the addition of programming blather. :eek: That could easily overwhelm the technical questions by sheer numbers. The new moderator is even wasting braincells doing a poll about Glee. :p

Looking at the rules, I see what I believe to be a new prohibition:

Since when is this a verbotten subject? My reading of the DMCA holds that unencrypted content is free game.

While allowing programming discussions could increase volume of posts it will not take away from technical support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)