Just got an LCD in the bedroom - what receiver?

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I have had a vip622 for several years in my den and my tv2 signal went to the bedroom. I did not care if it was HD or not. Yesterday I decided to get a 37" LCD set to replace the old one. I love HD on it (OTA) but hate the SD I get with my 622's tv2.

I want to call Dish and see if they will give me another receiver so I can get HD in the bedroom or upgrade my current 622 to a newer box and move the 622 box to the bedroom. What are your suggestions? What options do I have and do you think they will charge me extra for new receiver/DVR? My bedroom is 150' including up and down walls so I really don't want to run an HDMI that far. Can I run component cables that far by connecting a one hundred foot component cable with a fifty foot one)? And if Dish will give me another box, what extra fees do I have to pay a month? Lots of questions I know but thanks in advance for any help.

150' is probably too long a run for component. As for cost of a new receiver, you need to call or chat. An additional receiver will cost $7.00 per month, $12 if it's a DVR.

I won't comment as to which receiver Dish might (will) charge you for but you can extend the component cables with one of the many component distribution amps out there. So if you already have component (not composite) then you can get HD off the component outputs of the 622.

If you want to add another 722 it will cost you anywhere from free to $125. Plus an added $12 per month in fees.
If you want a 612 single room HD DVR that will cost Free-$75 and still a $12 per month fee.
A 211 single room non DVR will cost Free-$50 and $7 per month.

In this same situation a number of months ago, I moved my 622 to the bedroom to replace my 721 & got a 722 for the living room.

I will never "share" the dual-tuner receivers between TVs - I want the 3 tuners & PIP to serve whatever TV I'm watching. It costs a bit, but compared to the cost of an HDTV, not so much :).

Thanks guys, I probably will try to get a new receiver rather than run the distribution amp and cables, especially if I can get the receiver for free to rather cheap. I am going to get with Dish later today and tomorrow and let you all know what they say - thanks again.

I just bought Hdmi wallplates from monoprice that use two cat 5/6. I also got two 100' cat 6 cables. Total price was 51 including shipping. I am going to use component for the local run to the main tv and use hdmi extender for the bedroom.

One thing to keep in mind with DVRs in bedrooms is they make noise, especially when they reboot (default is 3am) 722k makes less noise than 722s or 622.

Well, try as I may, I could not get a real good deal. I guess they saw where I had some incentives still out like free HBO and $10 off per month and maybe one other I can't think of right now so they might have thought I had enough for the time being.

I tried two different service reps and got the same thing from both so here it is: I have to agree to a two year contract which does not bother me since there is no hd cable service out here in the sticks where I live. Basically, I am stuck with either Dish or Direct and I won't go to Direct! They will provide a 612 unit for $75 installed (tomorrow morning no less!). The DVR fee is waived because I subscribe to the "Everything PacK". I asked about the 211 and they would not give it to me for less than $50 so I went with the DVR model especially since I pay no fee for it and it was only $25 more. As far as the hard drive making noise at night, no problemo - I am hard of hearing so I use headphones to listen to tv and take my hearing aids out before I go to bed. Unless I get lucky, I sleep alone (hell, what am I talking about, I'm too old for that - well, too much of that anyway).

I usually get very good reps who always say what a great, loyal customer I've been and give me lots of stuff but not this time! They went down the company line from start to finish. Well, that's okay - I got a good deal on the tv yesterday and saved lots more than the $75 on it to begin with. Thanks to all for the tips.

Oh, I forgot one more question. I paid my $39 long ago for EHD capability on the 622. Do I have to pay again for this with the 612?

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot one more question. I paid my $39 long ago for EHD capability on the 622. Do I have to pay again for this with the 612?
No. The 622,722's and 612 are covered under the same $39.99 EHD Fee.
But if you get a 211 you have to pay another $39.99. And the recordings from the DVRs 612,622,722 EHD are not compatiable with the 211's EHD and vice versa.

No. The 622,722's and 612 are covered under the same $39.99 EHD Fee.
But if you get a 211 you have to pay another $39.99. And the recordings from the DVRs 612,622,722 EHD are not compatiable with the 211's EHD and vice versa.

Thanks, just what I needed to know. Now I'm glad I got the DVR model.

Related question, as we're looking at getting a similar setup this winter. Will the second receiver also require an internet or phone connection?

If so, that's going to suck, because I'm using a wireless bridge by my current 722 (not HomePlug) and won't have any ethernet hookup in the bedroom.

Related question, as we're looking at getting a similar setup this winter. Will the second receiver also require an internet or phone connection?

If so, that's going to suck, because I'm using a wireless bridge by my current 722 (not HomePlug) and won't have any ethernet hookup in the bedroom.

Of course, it will require a connection. Why not use HomePlug or another wireless bridge?

Of course, it will require a connection. Why not use HomePlug or another wireless bridge?

Short answer - hoping not to spend more $$$$ on top of the TV and the receiver.

Maybe I can snake an ethernet cable thru the wall.

edit - I guess it wouldn't be that much for HomePlug. The receivers have it built-in now, don't they? So I'd only need one unit to plug into my main router.

When you get you new receiver, call Dish and tell them to make it the primary...does not require any connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)