Just got HD ...WOW ... a quick question however

Dovetails

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Just upgraded to Dish Advantage DVR package, along with adding a 722 today, WOW, I'm in HD Heaven now :D I watched the Illini on ESPN HD tonight and it looked stellar!! :eek:

My question is ..... are you suppose to turn the 722 receiver OFF at night when not in use? My old receivers I always just left on, but noticed this puppy generates quite a bit more heat.

Thanks

if you think wow you should see an uncompressed HD signal, problem is you can't find one on either Directv or Dish.

Turning it off is fine. You can get software updates when it's off overnight

You can't really turn a 722 "off" other than by unplugging it. Using the power button on the remote puts it in standby mode. This you want to do so that it can do it's maintenance chores while you're not using it.

You can't really turn a 722 "off" other than by unplugging it. Using the power button on the remote puts it in standby mode. This you want to do so that it can do it's maintenance chores while you're not using it.

Also fills the hidden partition on the harddrive with VOD movies only while in standby.

Also fills the hidden partition on the harddrive with VOD movies only while in standby.
Do you have any idea if Dish is making money on this feature? Given the cost, I don't understand why anybody would spring for this. We sure don't.

if you think wow you should see an uncompressed HD signal, problem is you can't find one on either Directv or Dish.

Turning it off is fine. You can get software updates when it's off overnight

Or anywhere else for that matter.....

To the OP, be happy with your new HD, and do not worry about turning it off as long as it has plenty of airflow

ummmm Wow, I'd like to know where you found some uncompressed video (outside of a studio).
Compression is not unique Direct or Dish, rather Mpeg2 is the ATSC standard. The amount of compression varies widely, but all is compressed.

"The technology behind digital television relies heavily on digital compression, and the ATSC specifies that digital TV use the MPEG-2 compression standard, which is also utilized by DVDs, although some satellite broadcasters use the more efficient MPEG-4 advanced video coding (AVC) standard. These compression technologies are necessary in order to deliver a large number of channels to consumers. Without these codecs, an uncompressed HD video stream could require as much as 1 gigabit per second of data capacity—that's 52 times the capacity of the average broadcast channel. "
Popular Science 7.25.08

Dish recommends the receivers be "turned off" at night, not unplugged. Just hit the power button when you are through viewing for the night, and you're gold. As stated previously, this facilitates the updating by Dish at night. The Video on Demand feature is built in to the receivers, so Dish must have thought it would make them some money. I can see where it would be used by people with big 1080P TVs who might have a late night "TV party" for the kids (and friends doing "sleepovers") and provide the VOD video as a treat on the weekends.

C-band comes to mind!

Hugh? Are you saying that the feeds coming out of, say, the HBO uplink site is not meeting ATSC standards(mpeg2)? Its compressed before the signal ever leaves HBO.
Not to mention the studio equipment required to handle uncompressed bandwidth.
Please, reliable 1080p compressed broadcast bandwidth is not even possible yet.

ummmm Wow, I'd like to know where you found some uncompressed video (outside of a studio).

Took the words right off of my fingertips.

Even most HD recording methods use compression. It's compressed before it gets to the edit bay.

EDIT- I did have to render out some uncompressed HD animation the other day. 3.46 Gigabytes for 15 seconds of video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)