Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
My wife just called me to tell me that in todays mail was a new yellow smartcard for my 721. This is the first I have heard to a smartcard swap on the 721. I was also surprised that there were no new smartcards for my two Dishplayers (7200)

Anyone else with a 721 get a new card?

I received my yellow card for my two year old 301. Interestingly, I purchased my 508 at the same time as the 301, but it already had a yellow card.

In any event, I put in the new card, activated it, and was up and running in 10 minutes. :yes

I got my yellow card today for my 721 as well. I still have receivers with blue cards (301's) that they did not send out a yellow card for. It says on the card itself that it is for 721 and 921 only. Maybe the card is different for the 721 and 921 since it has a different type of software in them.

I thought we could swap the cards out on the website.

Got mine today. I haven't decided if I will swap it tonight, or wait till I hear from someone here that doing so did NOT trash their existing recordings or cause other problems.

Good idea. I am afraid I will lose my recordings and I wanted to at least watch my recordings today before doing the swap out and now will wait a little while to see if there were any problems with it. Its the receiver I use the most.

I got my yellow 721 card to day as well. But it didn't work. Tried inserting it several times. Kept saying Smart Card not properly inserted ( or something like that). So after 45min on the phone with Tech support they agreed that the card was bad. So they re-activated my blue card. But in order to get a new yellow card, I had to call the Card Swap line back again. After another 20min on phone, I have a new yellow card coming via UPS and they are sending a return label to send the bad yellow card back.

Stargazer said:
I got my yellow card today for my 721 as well. I still have receivers with blue cards (301's) that they did not send out a yellow card for. It says on the card itself that it is for 721 and 921 only. Maybe the card is different for the 721 and 921 since it has a different type of software in them.

I thought we could swap the cards out on the website.

Where is the website to swap our the cards? I also have 301 receivers with blue cards, is dish going to be replacing them in the near future or what?

The 721 will be my first card-swap out.

I have a question for those who have gone through previous swap-out.

How do they make the blue-card not working?

Is it by sending the cancellation signal to my particular card or simply do a firmware upgrade for ALL 721's to make the blue card not useable?

Well, when ALL the blue cards are gone from ALL legit receivers, they stop broadcasting the encryption stream that the blue cards can decrypt. By that time, all paying customers have yellow cards which use a different encryption method. The only blue cards left in use would be those owned by signal thieves with suddenly useless equipment, or those belonging to receivers that were not active during the card swap. Or at least that's how it works in theory.

I suppose in the meantime once all the 721's have new cards they could disable blue card support in the next software update.

The 721 will also be my very first card-swap. They shut the blue card off by deactivating it just as they would by turning off a receiver when you want it shut off. I am not sure if its all 721's at once or just so many at a time so that the call centers will not get swamped.

dfergie said:
I got Yellow cards back in may for my 2700, my 501 and my 6000u(all in same envelope)...

I have'nt recieved any yellow card and I have a 3900, 4000 and 501

Anyone have a time frame when we'll see the new cards?

Got my yellow card today for my 721. The install did affect all the timers I had set for today. Other than that, everything went well with the swap.

I called the toll-free number before actually swapping the card, then swapped the card while I was on hold. (technically, the instructions were swap card, then call... the hold time is minimal because they have this special number already routed to the proper group.)

The guy had collected all my info before the machine finished rebooting, so I think the authorization signal went out before my machine could "hear" it. 20 minutes later, another call to the special number, the CSR had me check a bunch of settings, finally had me do the front-panel reboot. All is fine after that. All prior recordings are still there by the way.

This may work for you if you have problems... make sure your machine is completely done with the reboot after the card swap before giving receiver and smartcard numbers to the CSR, and if everything's not fine in 20 minutes or so, try another reboot.

Received mine yesterday. Swap process was painless. Didn't lose any recordings, timers, settings, etc... My only mistake was calling the main 800 number for Dish to have it activated before realizing there is a special 866 number on the paperwork for these yellow card activations. Didn't receive a new card for my 501 which isn't activated currently, but the form mentioned those will be sent out in the coming weeks. Long hold times at Dish at 5pm est on both calls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)