Just made the switch to Fios Tv..

Veeb0rg

Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
after being a long time comcast customer, I made the switch to Fios tv and internet.

The Image quality is great, the speed of the box *guide listing and such* is great, and overall I've been fairly happy with it.

few things i miss about comcast thou. Mainly the ability to turn off the dang clock display. It lights up my freaking bedroom, that and the ability to swap tuners.

The remote that came with the fios service works alright, but i prefer my old comcast controllers as the layout is more efficent.

The installers were great guys, they were here for a good 5+ hours replacing all the hack work that comcast had done to my house over the years. They ran all new coax and even showed me what they were doing step by step. Unlike the comcast techs I've had the pleasure of comming to my house.

If I could just turn the clock off, I'd be a very very happy customer, other then that I'd say I'm a content customer and glad I made the switch from comcast.

oh forgot to mention i'm an AACo Maryland resident

Last edited:
OK, seems that the inability to turn off the display is on everyones top 5 list. Listen up Verizon, your customers are trying to tell you something. Do you really want to give someone a reason to look elsewhere?

Here is just one suggestion. Open the source code to the boxes and let someone who knows what they are doing fix this awful code for you.

OR

Just fix the darn thing yourselves and make your customers feel like you are listening to them.

OR

Risk loosing customers when the cable and sat companies figure out how to provide what today would be considered better features more cost effective. Sure, PQ is really great but it can be achieved on other transmission mediums.

Now, you cannot say that you were not warned! This really is a fickle market and features are just as important, and more so for a lot of people, than the very slight quality difference in the HD picture. After all, most people dont have 60+ inch televisions and do not really notice the difference.

Oh, and release the new menus nationwide. How long do you need to beta them? It cannot be that hard to write code for these simple dvices.

Don't ever say its an easy task to write code for these boxes because that is 100% false for one reason only.

Just look at that crappy Comcast iGuide software for a day. Also the Microsoft guide in WA state for Comcast is even worse. But it does seem quite funny how companies like Comcast will beta test a software update for months when the current final released version would be considered alpha quality to me and many other customers. Why bother testing so much when it sucks to begin with ya know. It does urk me how Comcast charges full price for a product that is so ridden with major problems. When charging a premium price you better deliver a premium product is my point of view.

If I could just turn the clock off, I'd be a very very happy customer
oh forgot to mention i'm an AACo Maryland resident

Are you guys kidding me with the clock comments?? Are you sleeping in a 1 x 1 bedroom or something?? There is no way the clock on the STB is keeping you up at night.

Are you guys kidding me with the clock comments?? Are you sleeping in a 1 x 1 bedroom or something?? There is no way the clock on the STB is keeping you up at night.

You obviously do not have one of these in your bedroom. Mine is 13x26 and I assure you that it is more than enough light to bother one at night. Mine sits above the TV at almost 7 feet and lights up the room like a cheap motel room next to a street light. I have to use black tape to cover it, making sure not to cover the IR port. As you can see if you read these forums, this is a major concern with a number of people. Even if it does not bother you, it does bother others so it should be fixed.

Yes, that clock is very bright. More so than a night light or any clock you might have next to you (which is usually red, not bright yellow-ish orange).

I did notice that the clock is way way brighter on the 3416 box compared to my old 3412 box. I don't have problems sleeping with lights so its no big deal for me but I can see how the clock on the 3416 can drive some people crazy.

You obviously do not have one of these in your bedroom. Mine is 13x26 and I assure you that it is more than enough light to bother one at night. Mine sits above the TV at almost 7 feet and lights up the room like a cheap motel room next to a street light. I have to use black tape to cover it, making sure not to cover the IR port. As you can see if you read these forums, this is a major concern with a number of people. Even if it does not bother you, it does bother others so it should be fixed.

Why yes Garland, I do have the HD box in my bedroom - how do you think I know you're all exaggerating?

Why yes Garland, I do have the HD box in my bedroom - how do you think I know you're all exaggerating?

Your message says it all. You say that we "ALL" are exaggerating. You may find it hard to believe but some people have a harder time sleeping with the light on that others. I and my wife happen to fall into that catagory as well as a number, large number from what I can tell, do too. Perhas you already get a great amount of light into your room at night and are used to it. My room is extremely dark minus the Fios receiver. I have other LED clocks in the room and they do not bother me. IN fact, I have a VCR, a clock next to my night stand, and a clock next to my wifes night stand and a rradio on her hightsstand with a display that illuminates when it comes on but dims when it goes off. Even with the radio on, all the clocks and vcr on they still do not collectively put as much light into the room as the Fios receiver. It's really like having 2 night lights burning in the room with the display uncovered.

We hate the antique technology crappola Motorola boxes which come with the otherwise excellent FIOS service, but we appreciated having been able to eliminate one of our night lights and the pain of bulb changing, The box is an excellent night light for people who want one and can see the positive side.

"Verizon FIOS! All orders come with free night light!"

We hate the antique technology crappola Motorola boxes which come with the otherwise excellent FIOS service, but we appreciated having been able to eliminate one of our night lights and the pain of bulb changing, The box is an excellent night light for people who want one and can see the positive side.

"Verizon FIOS! All orders come with free night light!"

Happy, you are truely a glass half full person. Thanks for the great laugh today. A good note to end the week on.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)