Just noticed HD Enabling Fee on my bill from Dish

Charlie wants his money back on his subsidy of the ViP's NOW, not later. I'm giving you Chuck's view on this, not mine.
I suppose that it makes business sense. However, when one is paying $17/month to effectively "brick" a receiver, and it would be roughly the same price, or less, to simply drop to something like the SD Essentials Pak (~$9.99) + the HD Enabling Fee, you gotta start to wonder why would E* charge the fee to a customer on "Pause" at all? They're already recouping a lease fee, and then some, with the Dish Pause Fee ($10)... Given that I subscribed to AEP and purchased a fair amount of PPV's over 5 years or so, I think that I've more than helped Charlie to subsidize the 622 that's sitting in bubble wrap on my otherwise empty apartment floor.

Anyway, I'm not really upset about it at this point, especially since I'm not paying the full freight on these fees. I was just pointing out my experience to share with others.

Have you found someone who's blowing them out for significantly less?
Yeah, the MSRP DishSubLA quoted isn't entirely accurate at the moment. See Series 3. There's currently a $200 discount going on. I was looking at these in case I have to switch to cable. LOS is still a question mark at the place I moving to. My hope, of course, is that I won't have to switch to Comcast, because I really like my 622 and 211, and E*'s programming/prices, especially compared to what I'd get and be paying with Comcast. Even though I feel this way, I'm still not prepared to absolve E* for the endless fees :)

Last edited:
Don't need to bring the MSRP price here - it's meaningless for your defense of Dish prices.

I'm not defending Dish's prices. I have stated at least 3 times is posts that I am passing along Charlie's post. I'm giving you Charlie's defense of his fees. And MSRP is relevant, not always to a high degree, but still relevant even the least degree.

MSRP is nothing but marketing price - you can't compare different product by it; better use street/Internet prices including eBay.

MSRP is not purely marketing. Cost of production does influence, however little in some cases, MSRP. ECONOMICS, my friend. Companies don't just pick a price out of the sky as you imply. Their price point is arrived at by economic formulas. Then they can add to the price for reasons of "value" such as the Sony brand or if they think the kiddies are gonna line-up and by the i pods at any price, hence a new higher price point.

But business economics are very much a part of the MSRP. If it costs too much to manufacture, then the MSRP will be too high and the product won't sell, just like the Tivo Series 3. Tivo had to go back and manufacture a lower priced DVR with less capicity and bells and whistles for a lower MSRP. They could have saved themselves the additional costs of manufacturing a new unit by just slashing the price of the Series 3, but they couldn't because the Series 3 cost too much to manufacture. Comparable products can have a huge difference on MSRP because there are economies of scale, quality of parts, etc. There is a reason Vizio TV is inferior and costs much less than, say, a Sharp TV, and it is related to quality and the higher cost of producing and superior product.

Does the OP have a HDTV, or is he just using the 622/722 for additional memory storage, or is he one of those people who don't see the need for HD channels to replace the magnificance of stretched SD content? I guess I'm just not getting why you would ever be charged the enabling fee (either get HD programming or settle for a much cheaper box).

It is 7 bucks. They indicated it is because I have a 622 and 722 receiver, even though I do NOT subscribe to their HD programming

They told me that took effect in May

Frankly Dish is really starting to piss me off with the nickel and dime they have been doing.

Well now you have no excuse but to buy an HD TV. That's why your economic stimulus check was sent to you by Congress, lol.

I suppose that it makes business sense. However, when one is paying $17/month to effectively "brick" a receiver, and it would be roughly the same price, or less, to simply drop to something like the SD Essentials Pak (~$9.99) + the HD Enabling Fee, you gotta start to wonder why would E* charge the fee to a customer on "Pause" at all? They're already recouping a lease fee, and then some, with the Dish Pause Fee ($10)... Given that I subscribed to AEP and purchased a fair amount of PPV's over 5 years or so, I think that I've more than helped Charlie to subsidize the 622 that's sitting in bubble wrap on my otherwise empty apartment floor.

Anyway, I'm not really upset about it at this point, especially since I'm not paying the full freight on these fees. I was just pointing out my experience to share with others.

Yeah, the MSRP DishSubLA quoted isn't entirely accurate at the moment. See Series 3. There's currently a $200 discount going on. I was looking at these in case I have to switch to cable. LOS is still a question mark at the place I moving to. My hope, of course, is that I won't have to switch to Comcast, because I really like my 622 and 211, and E*'s programming/prices, especially compared to what I'd get and be paying with Comcast. Even though I feel this way, I'm still not prepared to absolve E* for the endless fees :)

The MSRP is accurate according to Tivo's own website. However, discounts and deals and bundles can be found for almost any product, but that is NOT MSRP. I cited the MSRP, not any retailer's discounted price nor Tivo's own internet discounts.

The Series 3 replacement is the Tivo HD and can be found for $199 with an MSRP of $299.

Tivo HD is not a replacement model for the Series 3. Tivo HD is am alternative model that is less expensive with less capacity and less features than the high-end Series 3 that has some really good cutting edge stuff. Series 3's are still available for sale in many forms and still supported by Tivo.

Furthermore, the Tivo HD is not comparable to the 722 as the 722 greatly outclasses it; The series 3 is the closest comparable to the 722.

I think we may have some Tivo fans feeling defensive. In my view, the current Tivo products for HD (Series 3 and the cheaper Tivo HD) and the current Dish HD STB's aren't really comparable from my personal view. One is designed for OTA and Cable Card cable systems and the other for OTA and satellite. The Series 3 is a really appealing model except, for me, it can't receive satellite and can't record 3 signals at one time (this may have changed, but I do recall this limitation from the user guide. I may be mistaken), and the high price. Price is the big deal-breaker. And please add the additional $13-$14 per month to keep the Tivo alive after spending the cash for even a discounted Tivo product.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts