Just received my 811 replacement!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Unit came in from UPS today. Opened it up and it has DishPro on front. Will comment latter tonight about any differances.

Same here. I have not decided whether to replace the 811 or put up the antenna to conect to the new wireless internet service. I FINALLY have another broadband option besides Direcway. But I am also looking forward to swapping the 811. I know I am probably wrong but the new 811 looks different than the one at home. But it could be that it has been a while since I have seen it out of the shelves under my tv, sitting amongst the 510, DVD, A/V receiver. But it does look different.

Here is my report on a replacement. New receiver does have the DishPro logo. I think the new receiver does lock a bit quicker. The PBS station that I had to occasionally do the View - info trick locked everytime I tried. The one station I had the most trouble locking, still wouldn't lock last night. We had a bunch of storms and rain going through when I was testing so it may not have been the best time to try. If it is better when it is clear, I will post back. PQ on the DVI output is still great and on S-video it looks a bit brighter and cleaner than before. It doesn't look like I gained much but at least I didn't lose anything.

Bulldog, here they are:
Software rev = P267LADD-N
Bootstrap rev = 1010LADD

If I remember right, the previous receiver's were both LABD or something.

Okay, I got to play with the new 911 last night. Here are some immeadiate observations:

1) This unit is a lot quicker then my last. At least twice as fast when doing a switch check. Also when I go to a new channel it is immeadiate with no lag time.

2) OTA tuner has definitly been fine tuned. I could never get my old 811 to find more than 7 digital stations, whether they were strong enough for a lock or not. Last night the new one tuned in 11 and locked in on 9!!! In fact, I was receiving a CBS station from over 70 miles away! Incredible. The new tuner definately locks on quicker. In fact very quick. A second at best and you have picture and sound. The old one could take up to 5 seconds or not produce any picture or sound at all. Sometimes even the old info button trick would not work. I do not have to do that with the new one--YEAH!!

3) Now when a signal is above 60 you get a lock with some loss and if the signal stays above 65 you get a lock with no loss! The old one would only do that at 70 and above. I have to get into the atic tommorow and readjust my power antenuator to see if I can improve the signal more.

4) The sound is better. At times when changing to a station that was supposed to be broadcasting in DD my Denon would default to a matrix setting. Pressing the DD button for the reciever would usually not change anything. Now when I change to a channel that is broadcasting in DD the Denon swithes to DD. I did this several times and the audio work the way it was supposed to. The audio also sounded more seperate and vibrant instead of slightly muted the way it used to.

5) While I do not believe that the Black level has changed for DVI I did notice that when I turned up the Black Level on my Pioneer 630HD that there seemed to be more dark definition. So perhaps there has been a change there too.

6) I haven't had a wait for upload when changing from an OTA digital channel to an E* channel. I also noted that if I try to watch an OTA digital channel whose signal is not strong enough for a lock that when I press the menu button the reciever goes to the menu. With the old 811 when you did this you would get the finding sat pique and then you would have to wait to change channels. How nice to not have to wait and be able to go to another channel.

These are initial observations. I received the first 811 in my area Dec 17th. It was changed out by E* before XMAS. I have waited until I was sure that there were new units before requesting a change out. Actually, the fact that my old 811 would not present any picture or audio when first tuned on caused my wife to ask if my new toy was broke. She refused to learn, as she calls it, "the secret button dance" in order to watch and would watch her set until I came home. This prompted the call for an exchange. So far I am very elated at the way the new 811 is working! :D

The obvious differances such as recvr and smart card ID are differant.

Software Version: P267 LABD-N to P267 LADD-N.

Boot Strap Version: 1010 LABD TO 1010 LADD

Location ID: F762EOC2 TO 1383440 C

Processor ID: P0016872650-71 TO P0017493729-51

Sticker on back of receiver:

Receiver ID:020 stays the same

RAELAN03869L TO WAELAPE09HZB (I do not know what this number is for)

CAID changes (of course)

There is no main board number on the new 811--kinda concealing for E* huh? I looked it over real close but did not see any main board number anywhere.

Hope this is the info you are looking for. :)

As an owner of a December 2003 delivered 811, I'd say that there is going to be a pretty big rush to get replacement 811s over the next 6 months. What level and where did you have to take your 811 complaint to get approval for a replacement 811? Which specific 811 problem convinced E* to authorize replacement of your 811. A little help here as we gear up to get our prototypes replaced.

Carl B said:
As an owner of a December 2003 delivered 811, I'd say that there is going to be a pretty big rush to get replacement 811s over the next 6 months. What level and where did you have to take your 811 complaint to get approval for a replacement 811? Which specific 811 problem convinced E* to authorize replacement of your 811. A little help here as we gear up to get our prototypes replaced.

amen.... I'm listening.

My old 811 was not responding when you turned it on. It would do the same with the satellite as it would do with the OTA digital channels - no picture or sound. Sometimes the info - menu button trick would work and sometimes you would have to press it several times. My unit would also take up to 5 seconds to change to selected channel.

I called E*'s 1-800 number. The tech who answered was an Advanced Tech. After some conversation about the problems I was having I stated that they should do the right thing and send me a new one. He stated that E* would definately take care of me and that I would have my replacement within 3 days.

Something else to report--My unit was turned off while viewing an OTA HD channel. Came back several hours later and turned on and the channel would not lock -- pressed the Menu button and guess what? The Menu came up and I went straight to another channel. The old 811 would never do that. I would always get the sat load and then the menu load. Something is definately differant about this 811! :D

It does seem that the upgrades to both software and boot strap versions might
be the ticket to resolving some of the 811’s issues.

Software Version: P267 LABD-N to P267 LADD-N.

Boot Strap Version: 1010 LABD to 1010 LADD

I hope that “E” can remotely upgrade the rest of us who are stuck with
the older versions or provide a process to swap out these units.

Since “E” has accepted the fact that there is a problem, I would like them to
take care of the problem before my one-year warranty expires on the unit.

I hate to be the one who told you so....

I hate to be the one who told you so.......

Maybe some people will start listening next time when someone tells them that a receiver has some hardware problems instead of making more excuses than Carter on why it's not a hardware issue.

Iceman said:
... more excuses than Carter on why it's not a hardware issue.

I believe the saying is "Than Carter's Got Pills". The youngin's may not know what the hell you're alluding to. ;)

Gerry,
Maybe he was alluding to President Carter?

BOT, my 811 that I got in March is a "LADD" and not some "B" receiver ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts