This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

JVC Plug and Play Warning

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just a warning to those of you who got a JVC plug and play radio...

I went out for a ride friday night and came home, and forgot to turn my radio off (my cigerrette lighter does not shut off when the car is off) when I went out to use my truck on Monday morning, the battery was DEAD.

It looks like the JVC uses a lot of power compaired to my XM SkyFi unit as I leave my SkyFi on usually 24 / 7 in the truck.

So remember if you have a JVC to turn it off when your not using it.

My car will shut off the power outlets when the key isn't in the ignition. I usually leave mine in the car hooked up at work. I've never had a problem with it draining the battery.

There is an option for autoshutdown in the time function settings. The max allowed is one hour. I have a Chevy Minivan that does the same thing.

I never thought twice about it. My saturn Ion shuts off the radio and cig lighters when I shut the car off and open the door. Works out well. The only drawback is that i get 3 secons of static when I turn the car back on.. and i'm half deaf as it is and have the volume turned up loud.

Yeah, I have about the same time of static too. What I have noticed is even with the audio turned up all the way on the JVC I have to turn my radio up more to hear it than I do for FM/AM radio.

I had that problem with the FM transmission as well. But, now with the cassette adaptor, not only is the sound exponentially better, I have the JVC volume set down on either the 2nd or 3rd dot, and still have to turn my radio down from where I usually have it set for FM radio, otherwise it's too loud.

And with the cassette adaptor, the sound quality sounds just as good as any cd that I ever played with my portable cd player.

Now if there was a way that I could get traffic reports for Denver, I'd be in heaven with this.

I've got an older factory radio (like 2 years older) that would fit in my car that is just an AM/FM/Cassette. Very tempting. I need to get a radio with aux inputs.

If you guys would have read the instruction booklet, you guys would have seen that it recommends that you unplug it from the lighter before turning your car off. (sarcasim),

I never really noticed my power outlet not powering when off until Scott posted this warning.