KBS World Not Working

jennyfure

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
My mother signed up for Dish Network in November after she receiving an advertisement showing that if she got the Top 100, she would receive KBS World for free. Since the installation the Dish Network representative has been to her house 6 times and has not been able to get KBS World to come up. When it's on the channel, it gives a message that the channel is not authorized.

At one point a supervisor called and said he could fix the problem, 10 minutes later she got the channel and other Korean channels - turns out he turned on the Korean package, which caused her bill to go up to. She has since cancelled the package -and the KBS World went away.

The whole reason she switched to Dish was to get KBS World as advertised.. so now she's had to take off work 6 times to meet with Dish Networks, has a large hole in the roof... and still no KBS World..

The latest word she received from the representative was that they were going to have an engineer look into the problem. But my inclination is that they aren't really doing anything and hoping that she'll give up.

HELP??!?!?!?? Anyone know what the problem might be? Her zip code is 79924.

Yes, if they only installed one dish, it may not be the right configuration for KBS World free.

For what it's worth, she might consider calling in, pressing the button for "Technical Support" then asking them to turn on the "Free Public Interest Package" - they will read her a disclaimer about how these free channels could contain unsavory, R-rated type of programming, but then, as long as she accepts the disclaimer, they should activate that package at no charge.
I have this package, and I can vouch that it includes KBS World.

Yeah - I am currently using only a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 and KBS World comes in just fine.

You can also choose from Direct TV. They got a korean package that has MBC, SBS and SBS+. If you get that package with locals, the cost will be equal to Dish, the cheapest package. If there is a local korean market, then video rental might be the alternative option.

You all are Right and Wrong.

KBS World is on channel 652 on the 148 and 61.5 Birds.

KBS is also on channel 704 on the 118 Bird.

Both of these are part of the Korean V-Pak.

The free KBS World channel is 9850 on the 118 and 121 birds. It is free to anyone with AT100, Dish Latino, Great Wall Pak and is a Public Information channel.

I had been paying for the Korean Pak with a dish at 148 for years. Dish called and told me they had to change me over to the 118 bird with a new dish. Two months later I noticed my wife mostly just watched KBS and not the other channels. I called and cancelled the Korean V-Pak. Now she just watches channel 9850 for free.

Iceberg was right , the free KBS is only on 118 and 121.

:)Saved $25.00 a month.

No. Sorry canondave.

That is incorrect. It was correct before September 2006, but not now.

KBS World on channel 652 at 61.5° and 148° is part of BOTH the Korean pack AND a free PI pack.

This channel went from being only part of a Korean Pack to being available as a Free PI Pack at 61.5° and 148° on 9/7/06.
How do I know? I have never subscribed to the channel and I am getting it as of that date. And this:
DISH Network -- Channels

KBS World on channel 704 at 118° is part of the Korean pack ONLY.

KBS World is no longer available at 121° on channel 704 as of 11/7/07. There was a slate on that channel number off and on at 121° until 3/30/08.
--Correction, the slate was on this channel until December 7 when channel 704 was removed from the subscriber tier (not available to subscribers at 121º. The channel containing the slate stayed hidden until 3/30/08)

KBS World on channel 9850 at 118° and 121° is part of the Free Public Interest Pack. Dish put a "channel moving" slate up at 121° on 12/7/07 for a few hours before some one fixed that error. Dish cannot just yank a PI channel. Though I do know that it will eventually be pulled off when Dish takes that satellite out of service for DBS customers.

To review KBS is on:
--652 at 148° and 61.5° - Korean Pack and Free Public Interest Pack.

--704 at 118° Korean Pack only

--9850 at 118° (and 121° for now) Free Public Interest Pack.

See ya
Tony

new to my 622 - quick questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)