Keep an eye on your Dish bill.

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
I just checked mine online. I notice an Equipment Install charge of 59.95. I call
to find out what it is. According to the rep, the charge is for my 622 install. I kindly :devil: ask for it to be removed. I installed and activated the 622 myself. No installer involved. I leased it with the current promotion. Returned my leased 942 for the $200 credit, which I already received. I've really never had a problem getting Reps to remove erroneous charges, but it seems these things appears more often than they should.

Just received new Dish bill and have a $6.00 additional receiver fee. Called Dish and Bill from Bombay said it is a lease fee. Is this correct?
Floyd

Foyd Zimmerman said:
Just received new Dish bill and have a $6.00 additional receiver fee. Called Dish and Bill from Bombay said it is a lease fee. Is this correct?
Floyd
Yes,$6 lease fee for a HD receiver, 5 for SD receivers

18 months times $6 makes $108. Plus $299 upfront. Makes $407 after 18 months. That's getting you more than half the way to buy a 622. So after about 2-3 years we should own that thing. But it's probably not gonna last that long.

dont24 said:
I just checked mine online. I notice an Equipment Install charge of 59.95. I call
to find out what it is. According to the rep, the charge is for my 622 install. I kindly :devil: ask for it to be removed. I installed and activated the 622 myself. No installer involved. I leased it with the current promotion. Returned my leased 942 for the $200 credit, which I already received. I've really never had a problem getting Reps to remove erroneous charges, but it seems these things appears more often than they should.

They did me the same way. I work with a local retailer a friend of mine. He ordered my 211 for me and we activated it at the shop (wanted to make sure it was not DOA. My first 811 was.). I took it home and installed it. When I got my bill I had the $59.95 crap on mine. I called and they would not listen. They keep saying it was for my upgrade. The CSR was a a**hole and would not give me a CSM. I called my friend and he called Dish retail support. He got the same stupid crap I did for about a good 20 mins. They keep saying that someone went to my house and "worked on my system". He, like myself, could not get through their thick head the he and I was the installers. He did get to a CSM who knew his butt from a hole in the ground to to take care of it. And we could not understand why it would be $59.95, the upgrade is $49. I am getting tired of them screwing me on my bill. This is the 3rd time I have had issues with them.

When I had my 211 installed (by a Dish Tech) I understood that the charge would be $59.95. That was fine. But when I went on line and checked my bill I was charged an additional $119.00 for a DP-344 switch. I called Dish and the CSR took care of it. Said it would appear on my next bill as a credit.

I checked my current bill last week and the credit wasn't there. So this time I talked to Tech Support at Dish and he said that it would be a few days but I would get credited for the full install, including the the switch. This time it took. All charges for the install and the switch were credited.

I suggest to anyone wanting to get something done go through Tech Support at Dish. They appear to be a lot more competent than the CSR's. :cool:

animalhouse said:
I suggest to anyone wanting to get something done go through Tech Support at Dish. They appear to be a lot more competent than the CSR's. :cool:

In many cases, I would agree. Except the last time I called because the installer did not show up, she said my installation date had been scheduled for 5/22 ( They already had sent me the receiver and told me the installation would be 4/26).
When she told me it was 5/26 I asked her to please reschedule it, so it is sooner.
She said, 'they' can't do that now. It's already arranged with the installer.
Rather than go back to her boss, or call again, etc. etc. I called the installer.
They got me a 5/1 date (yeah! tomorrow) and told me not to call Dish back. They would call themselves and set them straight.

I did get an email apology from Dish, surprisingly.

Last edited:
I installed another Dish 500 to pick up 129 and they charged me a 99.95 upgrade fee. Took almost three weeks to get it taken off.

Hey Thanks for the heads up about talking to Tech Support instead of the CSR. I am changing to Dish and will watch for all of the problems you guys have been having.

The thing that sucks about being a retailer for dish is when they schedule the service calls. They don't take into account that we've got our own installs to do.
Most the time when they schedule them, the day has already been booked 1-2 weeks in advance.

The same thing happend to me. I had a $59.95 charge on my bill. I told them I upgraded under the Dishn' it up program, and Charlie himself said the $300 includes all upgrade services. The CSR told me I would have to talk to my retailer. So I called my retailer and they called Dish and got the chrage removed. It seems Dish requires the installers to give them 2 codes for Dishn' it up, instead of one at the time of installation.

I, as well, do not want thier stupid insurance plan either. They say it is credited back every month, but I don't trust them. Is there any way to get them to remove this permanently even though I am under contract?

If you signed up for the warranty as part of the contract, there isn't a way of removing it. Unless you find a new customer service rep. that doesn't know any better. :devil:

I didn't have the problems you gents had with installation fees but they upgraded my package without my permission.. I noticed the extra channels whilst watching the 622 and called my sat guy and we conference called and had my package moved back to the one I had.. I looked at my bill on line the next day and they had prorated the bill to the day I called and not back the install date so I called them myself and had them prorate my bill back to the install date.. I'm quite sure if you do the math, and if they did that to a whole lot of subscribers and those subscribers didn't catch the package change and or the the prorate date there's a lot of money involved .. :) :(

I have to admit that even with a few sound synch and dropout problems now and then I am quite happy with the HD format from my 622.. If it gives me to many problems I will trade it in on a new or different model, as they come out, and be done with it.. I'm glad I have moved into the HD world, but E* has some growing pains, but, they are growing in the right direction... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)