L755 on 722K

My parents 722 has been experience frequent freezing over past couple of months. Hard reboots only fix it temporarily. I had Dish send them a new box that I'll be installing this week when I over the holiday. They have the service plan.

Dish vip722k maintenance keystrokes:

Clear NVRAM: menu 6 3 info right left tv/video

Format hard drive: menu 6 3 info right left play play recall

I had a spare hard drive certified for the vip722k and put it in after all the problems, but the problems returned. I then tried the NVRAM clear and it came up with a message saying it was corrupt. Did the clear and things are back to normal. I own the unit outright and it is in a rack without the top cover. Heat killed the first hard drive two years ago and I bought two extras at that time. My sudden problems mirrored those others claim to have been having. Perhaps there are chip variation issues from unit to unit that are causing some of us problems when firmware is updated.

Jason,
Don't these receivers often reboot themselves at night, it you have them turned off in standby mode? In any case I can do a reboot and see if that is a longterm fix. It is quite curious that of the two 722k's I have this one is the most defective. That is, one of my 722k's has been operating over a year without a problem. This one has caught all of the diseases the 722k's have and as a result has been replaced many times. Even more interesting both are in the same entertainment center albeit at different levels. Booth have proper air circulation and neither runs hotter than the other. Both are connected to the same antenna (sat and OTA), the same a/c outlet the same TV and same MATV distribution system. And yet one gets sick frequently and the other doesn't. I guess one has a better immune system!
Michael

They do not reboot themselves the same way doing a hard reset does. At night the receiver will go into standby and download the updated guide, VOD selections that are stored on the receiver, and software updates if available. the receiver never totally shuts down.

The reason that the hard reset is in the troubleshooting for a receiver that is power cycling itself is because it allows all of the electricity to drain from the receiver and let's it start clean. Sometimes this resolved the problem, and sometimes it doesn't. It isn't the end all cure all troubleshooting measure, but it is a place to start, and if it continues after that then we would replace the receiver.

From the sounds of your post that might be what we want to do with that receiver that is having the problem is to replace it again.

I am well aware of the procedure. It needs to be done so often, I wonder why dish has not installed a "hard" on/off switch on the rear panel for example. For many people getting to the plug and removing it from the receptacle is difficult. That is why I constructed a switched outlet to do this, but there really needs to be one on the receiver.
I'll do the procedure when I finish watching TV this evening.
Michael

All my equipment, except the tv is in the basement, I installed remote outlet switches on them and can turn off and on with the touch of a button. The dish receiver is completely in the open in a 60 degree or cooler basement, so mine was not an overheating problem. As I mentioned taking the revue out of the sequence fixed my problem.

I did place a 5 volt USB powered fan on the left side, and it feels cooler, but it didn't help the freezing and neither did the old reliable universal cure all for everything the "Hard reset". The frequency of the freezing is increasing. Here we go again! Dish had a similar problem around the first of this year and it took them 6 months to fix it. It is most interesting that one of my two 722k's has never caught any of the 722 diseases, wonder why! Sure would be nice if Dish would concentrate on improving the reliability of the receivers the have before the introduce more defective junk, ie:the Hopper!
Michael

Yes...I've been experiencing the same thing. Channel will freeze, no sound, and when I change channels and come back to the channel I was watching, everything is okay until the next freeze.

The freezing went away! Here's what I did. Dish decided to replace my receiver and the replacement will arrive Monday. In the meantime I decided to try something a lot of people have said needs to be done. I placed a 1.5 inch muffin fan which operates on 5 volts on the left side and powered it from my powered usb hub. Since I have 2 receivers I decided to do likewise for the other one (which has never had a problem in over a year and a half). I had a 4 inch muffin fan which operates on 12 volts. However, at 12 volts it was rather noisy so I opted to run it on 5 volts, now it is quite quiet.
The results: before the fans the low temp on both receivers was 120 degrees and the high was 140. After the fans it dropped by 20 degrees on the one with the small fan and 22 degrees on the one with the large fan. So the low temps went to 100 and 98 respectively. And I have had NO Freezing since. Now I don't know whether to install the replacement or send it back! But I probably will install it. I hope the save-to-remote feature works properly this time! Last time it didn't.
Michael

I don't know if it is related to L755, but our 722k will randomly jump forward to Live TV whenever we pause the station for a bit or skip backward during a broadcast. It's really annoying and I don't know how to solve it. It has never happened until L755 was added.

I don't know if it is related to L755, but our 722k will randomly jump forward to Live TV whenever we pause the station for a bit or skip backward during a broadcast. It's really annoying and I don't know how to solve it. It has never happened until L755 was added.

WOW, I've not heard of that one yet, but if "Ol reliable reboot" doesn't fix it (you probably tried that one). I wouldn't fool around with it and ask for a replacement, the internet response team can help you with that.
Michael

That's what started happening with a 722K we had just before the hard disk failed.

Mine decided it had not signal, even though it clearly did. Nothing worked, until I did a memory dump. Now it is back to normal for now.

I installed my replacement 722k today, and 6 hours later it froze and rebooted! So much for the refurbished junk! I will be reinstalling the old receiver, as I haven't sent it back yet. At least it would only freeze maybe once per week (no reboot just change channel and back) since I put the fan on it to reduce the internal temp. The new one is running an average of 98 degrees, so I wouldn't think heat is a factor.
Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)