LAA @ SEA, why not on FSN NW?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rstokas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Why don't I get the LAA @ SEA game on FSN NW or MLB EI. I live in Chicago and have sports pack and MLB EI.

Is this bc its a simulcast game? Last year I remember some games had Mariners TV at the top and others had FSN Northwest. Either way I got them all.

Also I found it wierd yesterday I did not get the AZ @ COL game on FSN RCKY MTN. I only saw the game tape delayed and we never get those. Why wasn't it on live?

what does that tell me I still don't get it. It was not a problem last year. I don't even know if the game is simulcast. That stuff seems old.

It describes how, what, when, and where dependant on your area. The only changes should be the the new Nationals market area.

scenario

The situation I have is not one of the 4 mlb scenarios listed. so why don't i get it. are you getting the game?

Neither team is my home team, not OTA bc its on FSN NW, No national rights... I don't get it.

over at dbsforums they said the game should be on and its a mistake.

I am in Phoenix and no MLBEI. The game is being braodcast by KCOP; a local affiliate (UPN) in LA & KSTW in Seattle; not FSN, so #2 should be in play. This is how I read it anyway.

Take the MLB Blackout page and exchange the example teams with your teams and you begin to see all the ways you can be denied.

MLB - Blackout #1
Regional Coverage Blackout: Subscribers may only watch their home team on their home Regional Sports Network.

Example: Subscribers residing in Chicago, IL, receive home team coverage of the White Sox and Cubs, which appear on FOX Sports Chicago. If the Chicago games were shown on any other RSN (Regional Sports Network), those subscribers would not be able to receive that game.

MLB - Blackout #2
Over-the-Air Blackout: MLB game is being carried locally by an Over-the-Air station. (Refer to OTA Blackout zip codes.)

Situation: The RSN must blackout a radius of 50 miles from the stadium on the non-RSN team to protect the rights of the local over-the-air station.

Example: FOX Sports Detroit is carrying Detroit Tigers vs. Texas Rangers game. In Dallas the local over-the-air station, KXTX, is also broadcasting the game. A 50-mile radius around the Texas Rangers stadium is blacked out. Anyone living inside this radius has to watch the game on the local station KXTX.

Comments: As long as a customer has an over-the-air antenna in that 50-mile radius, they should be able to pick up that game on the local over-the-air station.

SEA: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sea

LAA; http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=ana

Last edited:
rstokas said:
over at dbsforums they said the game should be on and its a mistake.

LOL! funny they seem to say that about every game in every league regardless of who carries it and regardless of what market anyone is in.

ONLY the MLB and / or the current rights holder of each particular game, can effectively tell you why. DBS is subjected to whatever zip DB is sent for the markets and they are required to abide by that.

I would love to know where and who tells them its a mistake all the time and whos mistake and since they seem to know, why its never cleared up. I have never had any of these issues with the NBA league pass or the NFL ST, games that should be BO always have been, and ones they shouldn't be, never have been.

Last edited:
why is the game on FSN NW then? IS it a simulcast? Are we not getting simulcasts anymore?

1) What happened last year doesn't mean it'll happen this year. FSNW did simulcast the OTA games. Look at the Seattle schedule and you'll see tonight's game is on KSTW.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sea

2) As much as I'd love to have a bourbon with you Charper1...The blackout info you listed has nothing to do with the way MLB enforces blackouts. Go to this site and look at the zip code database for the Giants.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/subscriptions/mlbtv.jsp

In here, you'll see my previous zip code (89121) when I lived in Las Vegas. The Giants claim Las Vegas as "in-market". Even though DirecTV and Dish carry Fox Sports Bay Area, they do not broadcast the Giants games in Las Vegas. Further, there is no OTA source for the Giants in Vegas. The Giants play 600 miles away from Vegas, yet they are "in market".

It all comes down to the MLB and Giants being greedy. Rights were sold to Rainbow Media. Those rights have a pretty generous geography for what is considered "in-market". The bigger the geography, the more money Rainbow has to pay for the rights. Now, Rainbow owns the rights to broadcast the Giants in Vegas. They had a deal (up through last season) with DirecTV that allowed the Giants to be shown to customers who paid for the sports pack. Negotiations for this year must have fallen through. It was posted over at DBSFORUMS that customers in Vegas received a post card letting them know the Giants and A's will no longer be seen through the sports pack. Rainbow must have put the squeeze on D* for more money and D* said, no...(I believe it has to do with putting that money into deals for the Mets and Indians..).

Bottom line...blackouts have absolutely nothing to do with geography, OTA, or enticing fans to go to the stadium instead of watching it on the boob tube. It's all about obtaining the highest value for broadcast rights. (IOW,,,screw the fans!!!)

As the rules changed this year for Giants and A's in Vegas, they must also have changed for the Mariners.

Last edited:
rstokas said:
Why don't I get the LAA @ SEA game on FSN NW or MLB EI. I live in Chicago and have sports pack and MLB EI.

Is this bc its a simulcast game? Last year I remember some games had Mariners TV at the top and others had FSN Northwest. Either way I got them all.

Also I found it wierd yesterday I did not get the AZ @ COL game on FSN RCKY MTN. I only saw the game tape delayed and we never get those. Why wasn't it on live?

yesterday's AZ v. Col game was broadcast OTA in AZ and COL. FSN RM rebroadcast the game today.

Like I said I do not have MLB EI but I can only go by what the blackout rules say, or how I interpret them. AND I read that #2 looks like tonight's issue to me and that only the rights holders can REALLY tell you. Not me, another board or even a DBS provider, because they do not make the rules they just pass along what they are told. Sorry I am not more help, but then again these dang blackouts and market protection rules are a pet peeve of mine and I hate them with a passion. In this day and age they are useless and counter productive to the paying public.

Last edited:
The game WAS NOT broadcast in HD except back to Japan. The OTA station broadcasting the game did not do the game in HD. I believe that the first Mariner game to be broadccast in HD on FSN-NW will be on the 19th of April. The first Mariner game to be broadcast in HD will be done on STO(?) for the Cleveland series starting on the 12th of April. The series with Boston right after that will be shown on NESN-HD.

Blackouts are are big pet peeve of mine also. We are in a day and age that the technology should be available to provide the paying customer access to these games. I am a huge baseball fan and subscribe to XM, MLB.tv, and MLB Extra Innings on Directv and there have still been some big games that I am unable to watch. (XM is great in that you get every game that is broadcast on the radio but I fear a day and time will come when they black out radio broadcast too) I have had times that our local fox affiliate in Tennessee did not broadcast any baseball game on Saturday afternoons. Since the blackout also applies to MLB.tv, there was no way for me to watch any baseball on that Saturday. Is that really good for Major League Baseball?

I definitely agree its not about selling tickets at the baseball stadium. The nearest MLB baseball stadium is 4 1/2 hours away from me. I feel your pain for all of you that live in Las Vegas.

OK, now can someone explain to me why todays game is blacked out for me on 651 on D*? (As well as Ch 735.) BTW, FSN NW is my local RSN here in WA state. I don't think I've ever had this happen before.

Just now started receiving the game on 651 & 735. Not sure what happened.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.