Last Blockbuster

I don’t feel bad, as it was blockbuster that ran all the independent video stores out of business.

Also I was never happy with Blockbuster after thst stunt where they tried being a Directv retailer for a while in the early 2000’s

If the stores are closing but are profitable. I bet they are opening as an independent store.

No point in mailing check a check to crappy dish for use of a name that is worthless

Reactions: wormil
We recently got a Redbox at the Dollar General here in town. Population 965

I think Redbox helped bring the entire Blockbuster company down (not just Dish)

Not sure we can say dish brought them down, they were in bankruptcy when DISH acquired them. DISH also got some wireless spectrum that was owned. No question Redbox played a role in their demise.

Sure Redox played a part in Blockbusters demise but Netflix was a larger factor. No more driving to the store to find out all the good movies were gone and just drop in the mailbox to return .
Of course, Blockbuster also had a DVD-by-mail service, that Dish acquired.

Blockbuster also had a Redbox-style kiosk. That was a case where the name was franchised out to a separate company, so it was not part of the business that went bankrupt, nor did Dish acquire that service when they bought Blockbuster. There used to be a Blockbuster kiosk at a Speedway gas station near me, but I think it got replaced by a Redbox. I have not seen any Blockbuster kiosks lately, so I am not sure what happened to that service, or if it even still exists.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I never liked the whole Redbox or DVD by mail concept.

Does anyone still do that?

I remember we used to offer the blockbuster DVD by mail as a promotion to new customers.

I seriously doubt anyone understood it or took advantage of it.

I ended up getting 3 DVD’s, never returned them and got charged.

Hell I have never returned a DVD I rented.

The dVD by Mail was huge. You’d be surprised how much that was used... it just was not sustainable, especially at the price it was offered. Even Netflix felt that punch.

I never liked the whole Redbox or DVD by mail concept. Does anyone still do that?

Me. ;) DVD's forever!
I remember we used to offer the blockbuster DVD by mail as a promotion to new customers. I seriously doubt anyone understood it or took advantage of it.

I took advantage of it, and unsubbed to Netflix until Dish's Blockbuster service failed miserably. Then I went back.

Reactions: navychop
I used Blockbuster DVDs by mail, quite happily. Stargate. I ended up with one I got to keep.

Redbox seems to be doing quite nicely at my local Giant.

Discs have no commercials (with few exceptions). And “trick plays” always work. And the PQ can be superior to streaming. Not to mention, the AQ is often better and with more options.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

For movie watching, I preferred the disc-by-mail service for PQ reasons. That said, it got too expensive to get BDs from Netflix, so we eventually dropped it. Now we primarily rent movies (maybe 1 a month at most) in UHD from Vudu. It is better than anything else we've tried, although I understand the new UHD movies from iTunes are pretty good too, but you need an newer AppleTV to watch them.

Reactions: TheKrell
Blockbuster may be down to one franchised store, but Family Video still operates hundreds of company-owned stores throughout the United States and Canada in this age of Netflix and RedBox.

I don’t care for family video.

Tried them once, was late and they kept robo calling me twice per day until I returned the video.

I would have gladly paid the late fee or bought the dam movie.

Funny the Building family video used to be in was a Mammoth video Then Blockbuster got the smart idea to build a store across the street.

Then both video stores went out of business and a few months later Family video opened up.

Now the building family video is in is for rent.

Don’t know if they are going out of business or trying to downsize as they take up 3 spaces In the strip mall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts