Later Dish. Help with Direct

dhaberer

Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Ok, so Dish Net refuses to let me pay for a 942 (or lease it for that matter). Thi s is the last time I deal with this BS, so I'd like to know, what does DirectTV have that will give me a comparable system as the 942 and what does anyone suggest?

The problem is at the moment there is no 942's available.

Dish always lets the dealers offer new model receivers first, and almost all dealers have not received 1 unit yet.

Dish will make the 942 available from them in a few months. This is just the way they do things.

they are doing the same thing they did with the 522 when it first came out. Only new customers get them. How long did it take for them to offer it to current customers?

It wasn't that they were out of them it's that I"m already a customer so they won't sell me one.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The problem is at the moment there is no 942's available.

Dish always lets the dealers offer new model receivers first, and almost all dealers have not received 1 unit yet.

Dish will make the 942 available from them in a few months. This is just the way they do things.
so scott how did you get to buy one?

i'm looking at all my options today. i'll take a look at that message you just sent me too. It's such a waste that I have this high end plasma screen sitting on the wall display sometimes pixelated Dish SD content. Just need to start using it to it's full potential.

dhaberer said:
i'm looking at all my options today. i'll take a look at that message you just sent me too. It's such a waste that I have this high end plasma screen sitting on the wall display sometimes pixelated Dish SD content. Just need to start using it to it's full potential.
Don't you have OTA HD in your area? Why not just get a tuner? The best HD I get, with a rabbit ears UHF antenna, is from PBS, then CBS and FOX (all OTA), then the Dish HD channels.

dhaberer said:
Isn't this the dilemma outlined in the Voom commercial? :)

It does seem like a waste to watch SD material on such displays; they are usually larger than your normal SD TVs, so any defects are blown up in scale. Since they have better resolving power than an SD set, any artifacts from the MPEG2 encoding proceses get shown in all their ugliness.

My Mitsubish WS-55613 does a remarkable job with the SD channels from my 6000. The scaler seems to be able to blur the rough edges enough without destroying the overall look of the image. Don't get me wrong, though! I like my HD! :D

mdonnelly, are there any OTA tuners you recommend? That could be an option if it's cheap enough to hold me over, but then again I won't have dvr capabilities with it. Yes, OTA is available, but I'm not sure which channels. I'm in the Austin area, so I'm guessing most of the major channels are broadcasting.

dhaberer, if you haven't been over to the AVS Forum, it's a great site for everything to do with Home Theater. They have a Forum set up for Local DTV Reception, broken down by Market Area. Here is the Austin, TX DTV OTA Reception thread. They also have a HD Hardware Forum where they discuss the receivers you can buy to receive your local DTV programming.

actually avsforum is how i found this one. I am much more regular on that forum, but was too pissed this morning to actually do any work in finding information that I need. thanks.

dhaberer said:
mdonnelly, are there any OTA tuners you recommend? That could be an option if it's cheap enough to hold me over, but then again I won't have dvr capabilities with it. Yes, OTA is available, but I'm not sure which channels. I'm in the Austin area, so I'm guessing most of the major channels are broadcasting.
I looked up a random zip code for Austin on antennaweb.org, and here's what's available with a medium UHF antenna:
yellow - uhf KEYE 42 CBS AUSTIN TX 202° 6.2 42
* yellow - uhf KEYE-DT 42.1 CBS AUSTIN TX
* yellow - uhf KLRU-DT 18.1 PBS AUSTIN TX
yellow - uhf KXAN 36 NBC AUSTIN TX
* yellow - uhf KXAN-DT 36.1 NBC AUSTIN TX
yellow - uhf KVUE 24 ABC AUSTIN TX
* yellow - uhf KVUE-DT 24.1 ABC AUSTIN TX
yellow - uhf KNVA 54 WB AUSTIN TX
* yellow - uhf KNVA-DT 54.1 WB AUSTIN TX
Anything with -DT in the callsign is broadcasting in digatal, and is likely to have HD capability. You might check the web sites for each of the stations that you're interested in. Samsung and LG make good STB's for OTA. So does a 921/942/811, not to mention the D* and V* boxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)