Layer 3 Streaming DVR vs. Hopper 3

The majority of the population can, from the FCC Site-

10 percent of all Americans (34 million people) lack access to 25 Mbps/3 Mbps service.

2016 Broadband Progress Report
If I remember that report is only granular to zip code, so if any part of the zip code gets fast service they count everybody in the zip code as getting the fast service. So my zip which is half of the county gets counted as having fast internet even though it is only the local Air Force Base that has good service. The rest of us settle for 10/1 DSL.

Thanks for this analysis of Layer3. A friend has it in DC and likes it, but they were never Dish customers, so your direct comparison is much more useful to me.

I thought Layer3 would be a good match with my Gigabit fiber internet, but not if their DVR is that much worse.

Layer 3 DVRs are reported to be using the new h.265 compression algorithm that outperforms Dish's h.264 algorithm by a factor of 2 to 1 (See Wikipedia description of h.265). If this is true, then some number of subscribers with limited bandwidth internet connections who currently cannot get an acceptable 1080p stream may be able to do so with Layer 3.

I expect Dish engineers are looking into using h.265 as a possible solution to the satellite bandwidth constraints they say are preventing Dish from becoming a full HD provider. Unless a software update (unlikely) can upgrade existing receivers to h.265, then a new receiver using h.265 needs to be designed and built. This probably will not happen unless Layer 3 and others like them who use h.265 start attracting significant numbers of low internet bandwidth customers with the lure of 250 plus HD channels, then Dish may be forced to upgrade.

Reactions: littlecloud319
I expect Dish engineers are looking into using h.265 as a possible solution to the satellite bandwidth constraints they say are preventing Dish from becoming a full HD provider. Unless a software update (unlikely) can upgrade existing receivers to h.265, then a new receiver using h.265 needs to be designed and built. This probably will not happen unless Layer 3 and others like them who use h.265 start attracting significant numbers of low internet bandwidth customers with the lure of 250 plus HD channels, then Dish may be forced to upgrade.

How much longer do we think Dish will continue to churn out new receivers? I mean, I want satellite TV to last far into the future just as much as everybody else here, but eventually the main market for Dish will be mostly rural as IP streamers compete and take hold in the cities. I think it's inevitable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)