Lease or own MPEG4 receivers

It is my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that there is a $4.99/month lease fee, but a leased receiver will not have the typical $4.98 additional receiver fee.

So essentially you will be paying an additional $.01/month.

After purchasing a 942 and a 811 - I'm beginning to rethink leasing...

Timing of the current situation has alot to do with this.

So am I understanding this right when you lease a receiver it's around $5.00 a month verus the huge amount I had to pay for my 721,and 921? And if the receiver messes up do they replace it or what.

Thanks everyone for responding to my question. I am begining to rethink about buying my equipment. I have always bought my receivers in the past, going back to the good old days when the picture was crystal clear not the over compressed picture we have today.

I leased my 942 last September and I was only charged the $250 leasing fee. I do get charged $5 for another receiver I have in the house but thats all. I don't want to lease the new receivers and then also pay a montly fee. Can someone confirm this?

You do have to pay a leasing fee in addition to a DVR fee. Older 500 series DVRs could avoid the fee and if you have America's Everything or whatever pack they won't charge you the DVR fee as well. Otherwise you are paying 10 bucks a month plus programming.

Arn't botched investments fun! Yahhh!!!!!!

The advantage of owning your own receiver is that you can sell it when your done with it and you dont have to ship it back everytime you have the service shut off.

You have to pay the additoinal outlet (called a lease fee on the leased receivers) and the DVR fee if you dont have the AEP package. Thats $10 in addition to the $20 for the HD package. Thats a total of $30 extra they get from you each month. If you do not have the phone line plugged in there's another $5 charge. They are getting $360 a year on top of the basic package fees plus the upgrade fee that you pay plus your old box back. They are making out on this one.

It's not fair that lease fees and additional fees for owned recevers are virtually identical. What if you bought a car and even though you paid for it and it is owned by you, you were required to continue paying the dealership an equivalent fee to what a person leasing that car would pay? And because your truck has a trailer [i.e. hard drive] and can pull a trailer [i.e. record], you have to pay that fee again?

At this point the ONLY advantage to owning your equipment is that you can use it to subscribe to something less than a basic package, i.e. HD only, SkyAngel only, locals only. Lessees are required to keep at least AT60. And can fiddle with the equipment any way you please (legally) without worrying about violating the terms of the lease.

I prefer to own my equipment, but am beginning to think why the heck should I bother anymore?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts