Leased equipment question

omarh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm currently out of contract with Dish (18 month contract ended a few months ago). I still have Dish Advantage Top 100 with locals and dishHD ultimate.

I know that I don't own the vip622 they gave me since I'm on this Dish Advantage program.
What I was wondering about is, since I don't own the equipment, what happens when the hard drive fails or it stops working? Do they replace it for free?? Or what if I want to upgrade to the 722 that has a bigger hard drive...will that restart the 18 month contract again? I know I could ask a CSR, and I will, but sometimes I don't believe what a csr says, and want to know what other people actually experienced when they did that. I've been lied to before by csr's at AT&T for example..and its such a complicated mess clearing up mistakes like that.

With my local cable company, they would always replace dead DVR's for free, I could just take it into the local Cox store and swap it for a new one. So I am hoping DISH is at least close to that kind of service. Otherwise maybe I'll just cancel them before my 622 fails and go back to Cox. By the way, I think every device that has moving parts like a DVR will eventually stop working. Its just a question of when.

Good Bye call Cox.
Do you see any DISH Network store to bring your defective receiver into? With DHPP I believe a replacement 622 would be free. Upgrade to a new receiver will start a new commitment.

Boba is being blunt. That's all. When you compare your rental of a cable box to a LEASE of a Dish receiver, there's bound to be a certain amount differences.

Without the benefit of DHPP you will probably pay around $100 to have things serviced. Whether it's a receiver, or even issues with cabling.

With regards to your upgrade question, I'll reiterate. You'll find yourself starting another commitment. Usually a 24 month commitment.

I'm gonna just stick with Dish for now. Even though Cox has practically the same HD channels etc, their Motorola DVR's are pretty worthless.
I do have that DHPP fee every month, so apparently I'll be ok if the thing dies on me.
It sure is a far cry from the old Dishplayer....I remember all those times it would reboot and lose all my recordings lol

You can save $5.99/Mo. by dropping the DHPP. When the hard drive starts making noise or miss behaving add the DHPP back on. The stupid way the rules for DHPP have been written don't require you to have the coverage before you have a problem and they don't have a requirement for a minimum commitment so you can cancel after the problem is cured.

Keep in mind that starting stopping DHPP puts notes on your account and after you do it once, the option may not be available to you a second time. If a leased receiver goes bad out of warranty and without DHPP you will be charged shipping and handling for a refurbished receiver to be sent to you, with pre-paid shipping labels to send the bad one back. If the phone tech is not able to determine that it's a problem with the receiver, you will be charged a $99 service call fee for a tech to come out. Big advantage to a tech coming out, my warehouse rarely has 622 receivers in it, so if a 622 goes bad, we end replacing it with a 722.

I pay the DHPP fee every month with no regrets. I have peace of mind.

Oh, OK- I also have a 721. #6 thru this house. :p

By the way, I think every device that has moving parts like a DVR will eventually stop working. Its just a question of when.

THAT'S CORRECT! even w/ computers the only dis advantage is that dish equipment (dvr) is internal, so there's no way we can replace it but unless replace the whole unit, but according to you, you have the DHPP, that will cover the replacement of the equipment...:D

what if I want to upgrade to the 722 that has a bigger hard drive...will that restart the 18 month contract again? I know I could ask a CSR, and I will, but sometimes I don't believe what a csr says, and want to know what other people actually experienced when they did that. I've been lied to before by csr's at AT&T for example..and its such a complicated mess clearing up mistakes like that.

this might be true because f you will replace it w a vip 722, it will end up as an upgrade and there will also be an upgrade charge for that and additional 24mos contract as a part of the upgrade bec as of know every upgrade will sign you up for a 24mos commitment...:eek:

Actually, I think for the first year it's under warranty.

And every time they replaced my 721 under DHPP, they did NOT add on a commitment.

I still don't understand why we have to lease the equipment from Dish...
To my understanding, if you buy the equipment yourself from place like sadoun, you are still required to pay the "receiver fee" if you want to use your own receiver on your account..
Does Dish offer customer an option to own the equipment outright after the contract period?
If not, then what's the difference from renting like you do with cable??
With direct tv, you buy the equipment and they are yours..never quite get what dish is thinking..

I still don't understand why we have to lease the equipment from Dish...
To my understanding, if you buy the equipment yourself from place like sadoun, you are still required to pay the "receiver fee" if you want to use your own receiver on your account..
Does Dish offer customer an option to own the equipment outright after the contract period?
If not, then what's the difference from renting like you do with cable??
With direct tv, you buy the equipment and they are yours..never quite get what dish is thinking..

Yes, dish dont offer customer option to own the equipment outright after the contract period, just like as direct tv, you need to purchase your own equipment:tux:

The cablecos just build in the cost into the monthly fee. Doesn't matter whether that is a better approach or not. To me but perhaps not to you, Dish offers far more reliable service, far more HD & channel selection, and way, way, way better equipment.

The poor performance and lies of the local cableco from several years ago have ensured I will never return to them. I'd literally go solely OTA, IPTV & Blu-ray than ever put up with them again.

We can complain about the fee structure, but we really need to decide if the final bill is worth the product. Individual charges may annoy us, but it is the actual money out of our pocket that matters. FWIW, I also think Dish has gone too far and is far too complicated with their fee structure and their various package offerings. But I'm happy with the final product and cost.

Good Bye call Cox.
Do you see any DISH Network store to bring your defective receiver into? With DHPP I believe a replacement 622 would be free. Upgrade to a new receiver will start a new commitment.

That's crazy! I just went to leased receivers in May due to the forced HD receiver upgrade (no DVRs here). If one of them fails while I'm a Dish sub, I expect it to be replaced at Dish's expense (OK, I'll pay the shipping cost for a replacement since I don't have a Dish store nearby to drive to). I don't pay a DHPP monthly extended warranty fee in the meantime. If Dish expects me to pay $99 for a replacement for their failed leased receiver, they'll be looking for a replacement subscriber (as I understand it, they can't afford to lose too many more of us existing subs and stay in business).

Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)