Lettebox on TV1 (ViP222k)

mixx2001

Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
High Point, NC
Hey guys! I did some searching but couldn't find anything specifically relating to my issue. I found a lot about Letterbox on TV2's, but nothing for TV1's.

Here's my setup:

Downstairs - ViP7222k
TV1 = 55" 16:9 LCD HDTV
TV2 = 37" 4:3 Tube SDTV

Upstairs - ViP722k
TV1 = 37" 4:3 Tube SDTV
TV2 = 27" 4:3 Tube SDTV

I can get Letterbox on both my TV2's, Upstairs and Downstairs, but not on my TV1 upstairs. I cycle through the format options, and it's just not there. I have tried disabling/enabling the Dual Mode, as well as the 4:3 #1. 4:3 #2, and 16:9, with every possible resolution combination, and nothing results in HD programming being displayed on TV1 in Letterbox. Any ideas? Thanks!

A little confused. First, true HD will not be letter boxed and why would you want it to be? Your HDTV setup should be 16x9. Any SD or upconverted SD (on HD channels) will have letterboxes.

Now, if you are saying SD channels are not letterboxed, then you must have inadvertently zoomed the picture on TV1. Press the * button on the TV1 remote to cycle through the screem format options.

A little confused. First, true HD will not be letter boxed and why would you want it to be?

YES, it should be when you are using an SD tv for TV1.

To the OP, if I remember correctly (I used to do this before I got a HDTV) the correct setting should be

4x3 #2

To the OP, if I remember correctly (I used to do this before I got a HDTV) the correct setting should be

4x3 #2

No. 4:3 is the correct notation because it's a ratio of 4 to 3.

A little confused. First, true HD will not be letter boxed and why would you want it to be? Your HDTV setup should be 16x9. Any SD or upconverted SD (on HD channels) will have letterboxes.

Now, if you are saying SD channels are not letterboxed, then you must have inadvertently zoomed the picture on TV1. Press the * button on the TV1 remote to cycle through the screem format options.

I'm saying I can not select the Letterbox Format Option when viewing HD Channels, on my SD 4:3 TV1 (Upstairs), like I can on my SD 4:3 TV2 Upstairs and my SD 4:3 TV2 Downstairs.

4x3 #2

Exactly.

Unfortunately I have tried every combination of 4:3 #1, 4:3 #2, and 16:9, with 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. None give me the Letterbox Format Option on TV1 Upstairs. They all give me the option on both my TV2's.

Now I also have no Letterbox Format Option on my TV1 downstairs, but that TV is a 16:9 HDTV, so I always figured that prevented the option from being available.

No. 4:3 is the correct notation because it's a ratio of 4 to 3.

Yes. 4:3 means a ratio of 4 to 3.

Last edited:
Well, I give up. I guess it's just the way it's designed.

:( Maybe Dish didn't plan on anyone using SDTV's as TV1's on their any of their HD recievers.

Well, I give up. I guess it's just the way it's designed.

:( Maybe Dish didn't plan on anyone using SDTV's as TV1's on their any of their HD recievers.

Sure looks that way. I just ran into this problem along with the fact that TV2 can't be controlled directly with an IR remote without additional external hardware. I always find it particularly annoying when a product doesn't work as described in the manual, and there's two strikes against this receiver in that regard.

I'm resurrecting this old thread in case there's since been a fix provided for this problem/feature.

I have the same issue, using a ViP622 at the HDTV but in single mode, with TV1 backfed to additional SDTVs around the house. That way all TVs get the same picture but obviously one or the other will be stretched or squished because the TVs have different aspect ratios.

The "fix" I found for it was to look up a service guide for my 4:3 set, and figure out how to decrease the height of the picture so it matches the aspect ratio of 16:9. The inevitable burn-in on the old tubes is just one more excuse to replace them in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)