Letterbox on TV2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cognato

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2006
I have a 622. After the last software update the HD picture on TV2 was in letterbox (black bars on top and bottom). SD channels were full screen.

I found this to be a big improvement over the pre-update choice of normal, that displays a horizontally squished image or stretch that cuts off the sides.

Well I guess I never had a reason to use the * format button so when I accidentally switched modes I was back to the old options.

Does any one know if it is possible to get back my letterbox display on TV2.

I noticed the same thing on my 622. Before this week it would be back in letterbox every morning or a re-boot would put it back to letterbox but not anymore. I wonder if we got new firmware?

The ViP722 has been that way for a long time. Maybe that was another difference between the 2 receivers - unless you guys were just not noticing things properly.

The ViP722 has been that way for a long time. Maybe that was another difference between the 2 receivers - unless you guys were just not noticing things properly.

Which way is the 722 now? Is TV2 letterbox? Thanks.

I have a 622. After the last software update the HD picture on TV2 was in letterbox (black bars on top and bottom). SD channels were full screen.

I found this to be a big improvement over the pre-update choice of normal, that displays a horizontally squished image or stretch that cuts off the sides.

Well I guess I never had a reason to use the * format button so when I accidentally switched modes I was back to the old options.

Does any one know if it is possible to get back my letterbox display on TV2.

Are you in dual mode or single ? Are you running L621 or L622 ?

In single mode, the TV2 output is a copy of the TV1. Historically, this would give an anamorphic (squished) output (unless you change the TV1 type or switch to dual mode).

This has been messed with in the L621 software. It's creating a letterbox until you mess with the screen, then it goes back to anamorphic.

anamorphic is not necessarily wrong. DVD Recorders and older 480p widescreen TVs could make use of this (encoding black bars is a waste of real-estate).

I really hope they are not in the progress of removing the anamorphic option (then we wouldn't have TV 4:3 type 1/2). perhaps someone with L622 can chime in.

I run it in single mode and it is version now is 622.
Whille I had letterbox on TV2 my HD set on TV1 was full screen.

It should come back tomorrow. Or try rebooting. This has been discussed and over discussed here... http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/178222-new-problem-tv2-aspect-ratio.html

It's really a bug, in that it doesn't really operate in any sort of logical way, but most of us are happy about it now. People who feed widescreen sets from TV2 are rightfully annoyed, though.

I agree that it's a bug. The question is what was Dish actually trying to accomplish here? If they want to Letterbox TV2 in single mode they need to do it while keeping TV1 Anamorphic.

Currently, my TV1 S-Video output is doing the same weird crap at TV1. Would TV1 be stable if I operated in Dual Mode ?

I'll go catch up on the other thread.

I agree that it's a bug. The question is what was Dish actually trying to accomplish here? If they want to Letterbox TV2 in single mode they need to do it while keeping TV1 Anamorphic.

Currently, my TV1 S-Video output is doing the same weird crap at TV1. Would TV1 be stable if I operated in Dual Mode ?

I'll go catch up on the other thread.

Hmmmm...so the s-vid output is technically TV1? I thought it was TV2. I guess I never paid attention to the labelling. I know that in the past, switching to Dual mode took the S-vid connector out of anamorphic mode, but I always assumed it was on TV2.

I feed a distant 4:3 through the composite output, and a A/D converter with the s-vid output for making anamorphic DVDs. They always display the same behavior. I leave it in letterbox mode to feed the TV, and do the tricks to get it into anamorphic mode when I want to record something.

To answer your question...I doubt switching to Dual Mode would help, as that always has switched the s-vid TO letterbox mode in the past. It appears that this is related to SD vs HD outputs, not TV1 vs TV2. If you want anamorphic s-vid all the time, you'll just have to "remind" it every day. Thanks again for breaking my stuff, Dish! :)

Since the chipset can produce the various options they should just get rid of the gray bar option and add the letterbox. I find the gray bar useless. I understand that it was for burn in prevention but since there is so much 16:9 material our there that I don't see it being used by many.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts