Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

Given what percentage of people actually watch the 8th rated cable channel, I do put quotes around "major." What's their typical prime time share?

As to which channels Charlie chooses to make his stands, he can make them with channels that I watch too. I'm all in favor of that.

minnow said:
Well I say, let's have Ergen pull all ABC/Disney/ESPN programming off the air right now and let's get this fight over with all at one time. If your gonna fight the fight then declare war and get it on.

Disney only owns a portion of Lifetime. Negotiations for Lifetime channels is independant of other channels.

Same goes for A&E networks, even though Disney owns a big chunk of that too. Technically, they don't even own all of ESPN, but for some reason it gets held closer to the Disney/ABC family. I think it's because Lifetime and A&E are co-owned with other broadcast/cable groups.

Well since Dish Network is going to raise rates and STILL does not want to pay the channels their rate increases, then we all should know that this is just an effort for Dish Network to make more money, not to keep our rates down. If he wanted to keep our rates down then he would give us credit on our bills for these lost stations. Instead he replaces them with channels that DirecTv already has.

Perhaps Dish Network is having to fight these rate increases before DirecTv ever sees them. When it comes time for DirecTv to deal they can just demand the same rate that Dish Network pays for each subscriber.

I found some info on cable channel viewers. Averaged over all of 2005 the top viewed cable channels, with their average percentage of households viewing them in prime time were:

1) TNT 2.2
2) USA 2.0
3) Disney 1.9
4) Nick@Night 1.7

And now tied at 5): Lifetime, ESPN, and Fox News at 1.6

8) Cartoon Network 1.5
9) Spike 1.3

So you can make a case that Lifetime is one of the top 7, but OTOH, they are typically only watched by 1.6% of those with TVs.

Another take, given that this is a guy-dominated board, is that overall, Lifetime is as watched as is ESPN. So if there were a female-dominated DBS forum, they would be screaming about as much as this board would be if Dish pulled ESPN.

But I still feel that Dish has to draw the line and if they don't ever pull a channel, then they will never be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
Perhaps Dish Network is having to fight these rate increases before DirecTv ever sees them. When it comes time for DirecTv to deal they can just demand the same rate that Dish Network pays for each subscriber.

Charlie should be the DirecTV employee of the year. They get his disgruntled subscribers and then use their clout and their ability to not turn every negotiation into a public fight to get rates as low or lower than what Chalie fought for.

ESPN is pretty heavily involved with ABC Sports, that's why it's closer...

I didn't complain about the rate hike so that point is lost on me. It's lost on everybody actually because if you get your rate taken up, and then LOSE channels, there's a problem there. If he added channels and took up the rate, hey fine, that's logical, but you can't ask us to pay more and then take stuff away and expect us to be happy...

If he took away ABC they'd have to build a wall around colorado. If the ladies are upset at lifetime going away, how'd you like to see their "No Desperate Housewives? WHAT WHAT WHAT??" reaction? Plus if he took my kelly ripa away i'd join 'em...

I'll bet D* does get a better rate because they're not only #1, but they don't pull these stunts that charlie does. I'm sure the reps cringe when it's contract time at dish network...

...Oh, and to put it in perspective, Lifetime is 8th out of HOW many cable channels? Yeah Exactly...That's pretty damn good for a network built off of "Designing Women" reruns...

charlie had the option of extending the Lifetime Channels for a few more weeks while they negotiated. But the big buffoon said no, Charlie wants to be the big man.

mitchflorida said:
charlie had the option of extending the Lifetime Channels for a few more weeks while they negotiated. But the big buffoon said no, Charlie wants to be the big man.
And he's laughing all the way to the bank!!

This topic has gotten very popular and usually there is less talk on the weekends on the forums. I wonder what this thread is going to be like tomorrow when a lot more people will log into the site.

Stargazer said:
This topic has gotten very popular and usually there is less talk on the weekends on the forums. I wonder what this thread is going to be like tomorrow when a lot more people will log into the site.
wait till tueday alot of people are away for the holiday

Stargazer said:

Just wait what happens when the national media get back from their vacations. This is basically the female equivalent of dropping ESPN.

Lifetime Sucks F Lifetime

Im glad Charlie had the balls to say no to their price increase. Lifetime may be a widely watched channel according to the ratings, but theri programming sucks so do their movies. Anyway we need more people like charlie to stand up to these large corporations and Ceo's and say no we will not take your price increase.

Charlie is looking out for the little guy whose dollar goes nowhere these days. We need to start with our crappy energy Department and all the Ceo's of all the oil companies with their record high profits because they were charging $3.00 a gallon for gas.

Charlies price increase was from other greedy networks like lifetime. We should not have to pay for tv, they get enough advertising revenue.

How is charging more money and then taking away channels looking out for the little guy? Are the Chalie fans oblivious to the price increases announced at the last retailer chat?

This is a very popular channel with woman, 3 in my household. I am all for holding down the rates if that is the reason, then play hard ball.

But I have 3 household members that are not very happy !!!

Tom Bombadil said:
...But I still feel that Dish has to draw the line and if they don't ever pull a channel, then they will never be taken seriously.

Ummmm did him alot of good with OLN. I see everyone takeing him seriouly now.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dodge said:
...Charlies price increase was from other greedy networks like lifetime. We should not have to pay for tv, they get enough advertising revenue.

Ummm you don't think he is a greedy CEO??? Also they have tv you don't pay for its called OTA. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

New to Dishnetwork and have a question...

Dash or dot on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)