Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

jeffwtux

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Prepare yourself for shocking news: Dish is in a contract dispute with a channel! Lifetime Movie Network is off the air and in it's place WE is simulcasted. I don't get that since both are on at120.

Just like with OLN, Lifetime Movie Network is Off Air: Wife Pissed

My Wife just pointed out the following message on The Lifetime Movie Network, channel 109...she is not happy.

"We regret that DISH Network's contract for LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK has expired. LIFETIME refused to renew its agreement with DISH Network after demanding a RATE INCREASE OF OVER 70% which would require us to pass unreasonable rate increases on to you, our customer. DISH Network continues to negotiate for a fair deal in order to immediately restore this channel. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Until this matter is resolved we hope you will enjoy "WE" (WOMEN'S ENTERTAINMENT) now offered on this channel. For more details tune in to the "Charlie Chat" on channel 101 on Jan. 9th at 9:00pm EST."

OLN, LNM, what next?

Last edited:
I've got a mad wife too......

seriously, if this stands, I may have to switch to Direct or cable so i can stay married.....

I do not want LIFETIME why should I pay for it? (just kidding) but this is the argument that some express when a channel goes off or dish does not get the channel. I do not watch LIFETIME or OLN and yet I pay for them because some one watches it. Just like I know there are some channels that I like and someone do not watch. It is all a matter of taste and when it hits your favorite channel it kind of sucks. One the reason that I dropped the core channels on Dish was becasue of this. I could not get RSN on my area because they did not want to pay for it. Yet I find it very hypocritical of dish of asking for price increase.

On the E* channel chart (the chart was last updated 9/25/05) on DBSTalk.com, they show W.E. on ch. 128, and LMN on 109. Just out of curiosuity, so right now there are "2" W.E. channels on E* (one being a Virtual one, like do they w/ the HBO & Showtime HD feeds on D*)?
Thanks.

Personally, I watch less than 15% of my AEP channels...however, it's getting a little old hearing Charlie "Chicken Chat" Ergen scream foul (pun intended) everytime a programming contract expires; it's always the other birds fault and never Chicken Charlies! Anyway, it's starting to look more and more like Chicken Charlie is a bit too cheap (pun intended).

A la carte can't come soon enough IMO...

Its funny, Dish keeps dropping channels due to costs, yet they are raising their rates 4%, while DirecTV has all the channels Dish dropped and is not raising their rates.

Is something wrong with this picture?

riffjim4069 said:
Personally, I watch less than 15% of my AEP channels...however, it's getting a little old hearing Charlie "Chicken Chat" Ergen scream foul (pun intended) everytime a programming contract expires; it's always the other birds fault and never Chicken Charlies! Anyway, it's starting to look more and more like Chicken Charlie is a bit too cheap (pun intended).

A la carte can't come soon enough IMO...

I'm like you, I very rarely watch any of the core channels. If I can't find something on in the HD Pack/Voom channels I will go to the OTA or Movie Channels (HBO,SHO,Cinemax,Starz). If I can't find anything on there I will look through the core channels. The only core channels that I ever do watch are usually AE, Spike, USA, CNN, MSNBC, and a few more but I don't EVER watch Lifetime but it does suck that other people that do love this channel have to suffer. I personally don't see charlie doing without this channel for to long. If he does he will have about 10 million middle aged housewifes wanting to kick his ass.

Tele-TV said:
Just out of curiosuity, so right now there are "2" W.E. channels on E* ...?
Right now, there are two WEs - their normal one, and the temporary replacement for the now darkened LMN. Only the former LMN channel is running the crawl described earlier in this thread. Same programming, though.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its funny, Dish keeps dropping channels due to costs, yet they are raising their rates 4%, while DirecTV has all the channels Dish dropped and is not raising their rates.

Is something wrong with this picture?

Scott, I've ALWAYS said this EVERYTIME this happens - but the dishies ALWAYS manage to come up with some sort of bizarre justification for this behavior.

But actually, I LOVE it - more easy $$$ to be made switching some more pissed off subs to D*, just like with OLN... :D :p

It appears to be true. The EPG for channel 109 says:

"Lifetime Off Air Call 888-889-4582. We regret an agreement with Lifetime expired after Lifetime demanded rate increases over 70%. We hope to restore this channel as soon as possible."

The crawler on the screen is a bit different, offering a website about it at www.fairsatellite.com

as usual the same ole BS with Dish. I'm not surprise and I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days the programmers start pulling from Dish and not worry about renewing with them. If Dish goes under AT&T, then will they continue such?

My Wife is real mad- only channel she watches (so she says), she is already doing price comparisions with Cable, they come out about the same in Omaha once you include the $5 a month extra fee the the addition receivers.

Good thing Im in a Dish contract till April. Other wise I would loose my Voom channels (they are not on Cable yet).

Just got word that tonight at 3am Eastern TIme the regular Lifetime channel will also go away.

It is my thoughts they put up the message on the Lifetime Movie Network today to try getting Lifetime to make a deal before midnight tonight.

I understand Charlie a bit better coming from the D* side. D* is not making money. More subscribers , less profit? How long are they gonna hold together? They need Microsoft as an owner to keep that going in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)