Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

ScottChez said:
My Wife is real mad- only channel she watches (so she says), she is already doing price comparisions with Cable, they come out about the same in Omaha once you include the $5 a month extra fee the the addition receivers.
Good thing Im in a Dish contract till April. Other wise I would loose my Voom channels (they are not on Cable yet).

Scott,

I didn't know that your "VOOM" channels were so LOOSE, maybe I can call up and get them 'Tightened" for you. :D

I think the word is "LOSE" as in : to not win, to suffer a loss.

The other word is "LOOSE" as in : to be slack, to be the opposite of tight.

:devil:

Sorry couldn't resist,
John

Charlie only cares about us, the little people. He wants to protect us from all the greedy cable channel owners out there.

I am glad he is taking this channel off the system and hope he starts making additional cutbacks in our viewing selection.

He is only trying to save us money, of course.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its funny, Dish keeps dropping channels due to costs, yet they are raising their rates 4%, while DirecTV has all the channels Dish dropped and is not raising their rates.

Is something wrong with this picture?

Something is VERY VERY wrong with this picture. I know that DirecTv has more subscribers than Dish Network but DirecTv still has to pay based upon the amount of subscribers that they have to those channels just like Dish Network does. If anything Dish Network is getting just as good of a deal if not a cheaper deal since they play hardball. How can DirecTv keep the rates the same and keep all of these channels but Dish Network cannot afford to keep the channels that they have and still demand a large increase (as much as 11%). I already know of a number of consumers that have switched from Dish Network to DirecTv the second half of 2005 before any of this happened.

It is going to be hard to compete when you charge money more for less content.

Again I want to note that the main LIFETIME channel is due to be removed tonight at midnight if a deal is not reached.

No one seems to be picking up on this.

OH NO! The regular Lifetime channel going away too? This is very bad. There is going to be a LOT of churn as a result. This is going to hurt retailers BIG TIME! To have this happen then a raise in rates will have very bad effects. Subscribers are going to start getting tired of all of these Dish Network issues with keeping their channels. Dish Network is going to start having a bad name for themselves. People that already watch Lifetime do NOT want WE as a replacement, they want it as an addition and will expect it to remain on once it goes live and Lifetime to return as well. Then they will check DirecTv to see what they have.

I suppose Lifetime also wants Charlie to carry Lifetime Real Woman (since it's already on DirecTV I suppose their carriage contract is set for the nect few years).

I get very tired of E* dropping channels because it'll cut into their profit margin to keep the channel(s). OLN had some enjoyable programming and there are a few programs being re-run on Lifetime that I did enjoy when they were on "network" TV.

All I can say is, Lifetime and Dish Network: get together, quit rattling your sabers at each other and come to an agreement before midnight. It's not that tough. Just do it.

Charlie taking his ball and going home is a trick that only works once. The programmers are on to his annual tradition.

LIFETIME to go off DISH, too?????

I read in the LIfetime Movie Network thread that LIFETIME would be off the air, too!!! Can someone confirm this?? I went through this with C-Band and can't believe it's going on with DISH, too. Glad we kept our C-band apparatus--guess I'll be needing it--as I WILL switch back to C-band and only keep DISH for HD once my contract is up.

LIFETIME is the only place where anyone can watch Unsolved Mysteries.

IF this IS true, I will call DISH and demand a prorate on my monthly bill--that's what they did for us for C-band--as we are not getting what was advertised to us and this is a MAJOR channel!!!!

C-band was great--I didn't have to subscribe to a lot of stuff I didn't watch! I think they also have Startz HD!

GeorgeLV said:
Charlie taking his ball and going home is a trick that only works once. The programmers are on to his annual tradition.
I wonder if Charlie will be dropping the ball later tonight on Time Square?:p

Never mind...it looks like he has decided to drop a Lifetime bomb on Dish Network subscribers tonight at 3:00am!:mad:

Looks like it is true, check out dishnetwork.com and now they show the lifetime and lifetime movies logos.

If you click on them you are taken to a note from Charlie about their removal.

The contract for both channels exires tonight at midnight. Dish did not need to take of lmn today but I am guessing they did it as a barganing tool with Lifetime to show they are serious.

If Lifetime goes off it won't be for long. Alot of women love the ch.....and men too. Although they really don't like to admit it. I don't watch it at all but I make fun of my father who has been watching a ton of it along with the Hallmark ch. He has Directv but he would be pissed off if Lifetime was gone.....like alot of Dish customers will be. My father just rertired and he has been watching alot of Lifetime.....I inform him on a daily basis that it is "tv for women". If Lifetime gets blacked out it won't be for long.

GeorgeLV said:
I suppose Lifetime also wants Charlie to carry Lifetime Real Woman (since it's already on DirecTV I suppose their carriage contract is set for the nect few years).

That's probably the "70%" right there. Say LMN costs 10 cents...now they want to force them to carry LRW for another 7 cents.

It's sad that they have fight over nickels, but they take it up the you know what from ESPN every year without blinking, and pass it along to us every year.

I don't support true a-la-carte pricing, because it would kill most of the small niche channels. But I would like someone to show some cajone's and stand up to the big dogs and set up some different kinds of "basic" packages. There's some talk of "family" basic, how about "no sports" basic. I don't mind paying a nickel here and a dime here for something I'm not interested in, because I know someone else is doing the same for me. But I do have a problem with paying 3,4,5 dollars or more for something I never watch, just because a bunch of pro sports thugs are overpayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)