Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

Oh yeh. And (an occasional) ep. of "The Golden Girls: like 'gutter' said.

[Poor Golden Girls. They no longer have a "house" as it has been demolished {visit FL}. :D ]

I thought the house was in the back of Disney MGM Studios.

I actually had lunch once on the front lawn of the Golden Girls house at Disney MGM. :D

I am always amazed at the reaction to news that "charlie" pulled a channel because they are DOUBLING their price. The fact that other carriers just swallowed the deal is irrelevant. For 5 straight years our rates have gone up to cover the costs of these rate hikes. Every year when the rate hikes go into effect, we hear squealing and cries about how greedy the cable companies or "charlie" is.

So what is the answer? Should Dish just pay every time and raise the prices more to cover the cost? Or should they do everything they can to keep the price they get charged down? Or does anyone really care as long as it doesn't affect them?

As to the everpresent "Well DirecTV does it why can't Dish?"
The answer is still the same it was the first 10,254,254 it was asked. DirecTV has not been profitable. Dish has. Dish started making a profit close to 4 years ago. This is only 5 years after the launch of its first satellite.

DirecTV had its first profitable quarter last quarter. Only after just over 10 short years after it went into operation.

I know it doesn't mean anything to the consumer so most people just don't care. However, the fact that Dish does not have a company the size of Hughes (which Dumped the unprofitable business to Rupert Murdoch) and NewsCorp subsidising its DBS venture means that Dish has to be profitable or go under.

And Dish "dropping channels". Here is the 2005 tally:
Added regionally:
Upstate NY, MSG added
Chicago Area, Comcast Sports Net.
Too many local channels to count

Added Nationally
NFL Network (AT120)
EDIT----ESPN-U (AT180)
CSTV (AT120)
Fox Reality (AT180)
International Music Feed (AT120)
Holistic TV Net (AT60)
Pentagon Channel (AT60)

Removed Upstate NY in 2005
Empire Sports (channel went under)

Removed nationally
OLN - without Hockey (AT180)
Reality TV (channel left US market) (AT180)

CNN FN which had CNN-I programming as filler was discontinued by CNN in December 2004.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I thought the house was in the back of Disney MGM Studios.

I actually had lunch once on the front lawn of the Golden Girls house at Disney MGM. :D

:eek:

That, is, so, COOL!/AWESOME! :cool: Details please on how you managed to pull that off? :D I hope you took a picture of yourself on the lawn (if you did, I would have it framed [LOL].

Scott (I'm sorry to hear about your kidney stones. :( Do you ever use them to make kidney pie ;) (J/K / sorry to go there),

The house (along w/ the "Empty Nest" [NBC] house), was in the "back"/towards the end of the Back Lot Tour on what was called, 'Residential Street.' Now that whole area has been demolished and the "new" 'Lights. Motor. Action!' Extreme Stunt Show (LMAX), direct from 'Walt Disney Studios (Park) [Paris],' (called 'Motors. Action!' there); is now in the place of Residential Street. Sorry to sound like an ad for Disney.

I very seldom watch either channel, but it is a rare occasion when my wife isn't watching one or the other. She is not going to be too happy, and I am sure she will start complaining to go back to DTV.

I have had a real bad experience with Dish since I went back there. Tonight my locals were out even though they were ok at my next door neighbor. I can't use the HD receiever on my HD tv because it keeps acting up so I put it on a tv that is very seldom watched. There are many other tales to tell, but why bore people with a litany.

I am only in the third month of an 18 month commitment. I don't pay by credit card. Could I send them back their receivers and go to cable or DTV? Do you think they will let me out of this ridiculous situation? I wish this this goofy Charlie would find another line of work. I am sick of him and his apologists on these forums defending everything he does because this is an inferior product. I should have known. Mea Culpa!

RonMort046 said:
I can't use the HD receiever on my HD tv because it keeps acting up so I put it on a tv that is very seldom watched.

I haven't had no better luck with DirecTV w/ there HD receiver neither, I keep preaching they use cheap crap. Go with Motorola or Scientific Atlanta with TiVO and use what really works and give the consumers a rock solid product but neither will listen. :mad: SOS !!!

I lost any respect I might have had for Charlie after wasting about thirty minutes watching his inane Charlie Chat programs. Is that guy an egomaniac or what?

BTW, Charlie has added a response to Lifetime's counter-claim.

http://www.fairsatellite.com/index2.shtml

------------------------------------
Louise Henry Bryson

President, Distribution and Affiliate Business
Development Lifetime Networks
2049 Century Park East, Suite 840
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Dear Ms. Bryson:

The statements on your website with respect to our dispute are inaccurate. Specifically, you claim that DISH Network violated our contract by taking Lifetime Movie Network off the air. As you are aware the agreement terminated December 31, 2005 and Lifetime refused to offer any extension prior to DISH Network’s loss of the network today (the date of the contract expiration). We are confident we have not breached the agreement and welcome the disclosure to the public, any portion of the contract that demonstrates DISH Network is in violation of our agreement.

In addition, Lifetime’s final demand prior to our loss of the network called for a 76% rate increase under the contract term. DISH Network hereby waives any right to confidentiality which may exist with respect to rates under our existing agreement and the proposed rates under Lifetime’s proposal so that the public can judge for themselves. We challenge Lifetime to likewise agree to the release of that information.

While DISH Network desires to make Lifetime programming available to its customers, we also must protect our customers from exorbitant rate increases. We have valued our relationship with Lifetime Networks over the past 10 years and we are hopeful that we can work together to restore Lifetime programming to DISH Network customers.

Sincerely,

Charlie Ergen
Chief Executive Officer
DISH Network

It's called staying competitve. If Dish Network is not going to keep up with their competition then they will have to move out of the way or go down unless they have a lot of loyal followers. The line drawn is different for some than for others. There is a limit to everything.

Perhaps Rupert is going to not increase rates to become competitive with Charlie.

new Lifetime posting

http://www.lifetimetv.com/about/echo3.html
----------------
Dear DISH Network Subscriber,
Unfortunately, the DISH network has unilaterally decided to take Lifetime Movie Network off the air. For more than seven months, we've worked hard to reach a reasonable agreement for DISH to carry both Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network for a fraction of what they're willing to pay other less popular channels. However, they have refused to pay pennies more (nowhere near the 70% increase they are claiming) that reflects the value of the two most popular women's networks and the #1 network among women in homes with satellite television. They have even dismissed Lifetime's generous offer to extend contract negotiations through the holidays.
We deeply regret the difficulty this disruption of service has caused our viewers. We hope to resolve this quickly and encourage you to contact the DISH network at 1-888-284-7116 or at ceoofdishnetwork@dishnetwork.com to tell them of your dissatisfaction. We greatly appreciate your viewership and loyalty.

remember Disney has a part in Lifetime Networks and we know how greedy those bastards are. ESPN alone nearly $4 a sub and y'all bitch at cable and satellite about increases.

Wow :eek: This will go over well with all the women out there who are still upset that E* doesn't carry Oxygen, now their two domestic abuse movie channels are gone. The wife won't be happy..

Ya know, this is just absurd. I know lifetime has this stereotype and all, but enough of the channel take-away nonsense. Hasn't anyone told charlie that it's not working anymore (OLN), and that it's not something his customers seem to appreciate anymore (take a look around...ask your wives...), enough already. Rates are going up anyways, pay the people the money. They put out a product that a lot of people like, why don't they deserve the money they ask for? 7 months bargaining is really WAY too long, this reaks of charlie being cheap and I don't seem to remember any mentions of this until today...You'd think with the OLN problem that charlie might drop some hints that there may be a problem with Lifetime and encourage people to email them a month ago...

I don't watch lifetime, but LMN plays some of the better 80's movies quite a bit. Stuff like "The Money Pit" which is never on any other channel..."Breakfast Club", etc...It's not a must-see channel for me but I don't like seeing this nonsense go on.

And to think they just won brownie points with my when they finally removed bingotv from the guide, and now they do this...

OLN is a niche sports network that thinks it become the next ESPN, but really they're pretty much a notch below the "Ocho" at this point

Lifetime is the 8th highest rated cable network

People are going to notice that it's gone and they aren't going to be too happy about it. Charlie's habit of negotiating in public isn't likely to make him popular with the other programmer's either. These stunts we're fun for a while, but now he's starting to look foolish.

I can't believe they pulled the plug on Lifetime. Even if it's just as temporary as the Viacom thing, I'm glad I'm leaving. D* to be installed next week with the HD-Tivo and three DVR80 Tivos. I can't wait to talk to retention when I leave. I know they won't care, but I won't be dealing with this BS anymore.

New to Dishnetwork and have a question...

Dash or dot on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)