Lifetime Networks worth 50 cents/Month--$6 million a month for all subs

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I was just offered a 50 cent a month credit for not having the 2 Lifetime Networks. I have the Top 180. I assume it is part of all the packs and so, if all 12 million subscribers will call and request their 50 cent credit--that's $6 million that DISH needs to "dish" out for every month they are not providing Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network.

Is $6 million/month worth it for DISH to keep digging in their feet on these 2 channels?

Not to mention subscribers who will leave DISH to find the channel elsewhere if it's not returned in a month--then add on that loss.

Yes it's worth it if every 2 or 3 years Lifetime is going to add some BS channel and force E* to carry it - along with price increases for all their other channels. Plus no where near even a million subs will ask for a $0.50 credit.

if liftime gets away with it than every other channel will want to do the same thing and raise their rates when they can, you have to draw the line somewhere.

bookwalk said:
I was just offered a 50 cent a month credit for not having the 2 Lifetime Networks. I have the Top 180. I assume it is part of all the packs and so, if all 12 million subscribers will call and request their 50 cent credit--that's $6 million that DISH needs to "dish" out for every month they are not providing Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network.
Is $6 million/month worth it for DISH to keep digging in their feet on these 2 channels?
Not to mention subscribers who will leave DISH to find the channel elsewhere if it's not returned in a month--then add on that loss.

no offense, but that would be a total waste of hold times IMHO!

BnT said:
if liftime gets away with it than every other channel will want to do the same thing and raise their rates when they can, you have to draw the line somewhere.

They are already getting away with it. Charlie is picking the battles with minimal fallout. Viacom ended with a fairly rapid solution, and the worst offender, ESPN, has never gone dark.

There's a reason we have 6 or 7 ESPNs and a dozen Discovery channels. It's bundling, and it's the reason the Top 100 (or whatever it was) is now the Top 180 - yet the amount of original programming hasn't radically increased.

Those of you wondering why there's a price increase, yet 2 channels have been dropped - consider the price of all those other channels which normally have annual increases attached to them.

That sure looks nice, raise our bill $2-3 then give us a louzy 50 cent credit. It aint even worth talking about.

Tom Bombadil said:
I wouldn't walk across the street to get 50 cents.

This isn't going to cost Dish $6,000,000. It's going to cost them about $31.50.

Hehe, I agree with you, but I would like them to reach an agreement before my wife notices.

Tom Bombadil said:
I wouldn't walk across the street to get 50 cents.

This isn't going to cost Dish $6,000,000. It's going to cost them about $31.50.

Don't forget the (WAG) $0.75 x 12 million a month in carriage fees they no longer have to pay Lifetime every month.

I think he'll gladly eat the $31.50. :)

I don't have Dish, I' a DirecTV man, myself, but I am familiar with how channels charge both satellite and cable. Fifty cents a month would be about what Dish pays Lifetime for each subscriber, every month, so they really aren't losing anything money wise. Of course what they are losing in pissed of customers is an other story.

Glad Lifetime's Gone

Personally, I'm glad to pay $.50 a month to free up bandwidth formally used by Lifetime because:
1. They primary run and rerun 20-30 yr old junk you can get on a $3 CD.
2. They've revealed their sleazy, dishonest, greedy, sex-bias pandering, consumer rip-off nature.

Consider it well-spent severance pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)