Live TV ratings drop 12.7% in Jan 2015

I saw a few things in the article that make it confusing.

First, they are apparently talking about cable viewership since they mentioned Viacom and Disney/ESPN. That means that cord cutting could also be a factor here. There have been some fairly significant drops in cable/satellite subscriptions in the last few quarters.

Second, they definitely specify live, real time viewing. That rules out DVRs. It also wouldn't count the on demand services that many of the cable services are now offering.

I think it is a real stretch to use this data to blame it on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

I saw a few things in the article that make it confusing.

First, they are apparently talking about cable viewership since they mentioned Viacom and Disney/ESPN. That means that cord cutting could also be a factor here. There have been some fairly significant drops in cable/satellite subscriptions in the last few quarters.

Second, they definitely specify live, real time viewing. That rules out DVRs. It also wouldn't count the on demand services that many of the cable services are now offering.

I think it is a real stretch to use this data to blame it on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.
One must be conscious of the fact that most TV viewers receive their local ( network) channels through a pay tv provider.

One must be conscious of the fact that most TV viewers receive their local ( network) channels through a pay tv provider.

I agree, but the post here sort of implied it was the OTA channels. The article is specifically talking about cable networks.

I see the beginning of a trend though. Cable subscriptions have been showing moderate drops since 2011. However, overall cable revenues continue to rise. That means that cable rates are going up faster than people are cutting cords. That combination of trends can't be sustained long term. Either the cord cutting will taper off, revenues will stop rising, or people will suck it up and pay $200 a month soon.

Cable/satellite subscription rates peaked at 92% back in 2009 and have been slowly dropping. They are currently more like 87%. Granted, it is still a big number, but this number is even higher in the lower age group demographic, specifically the millennials.

They are currently more like 87%. Granted, it is still a big number,but this number is even higher in the lower age group demographic, specifically the millennials.
I suppose you mean a higher "Drop" which would be ... "even lower in the lower age group demographic." Lower than 87%.

DRCars

Each year that passes, there are more shows that have been created adding to what is already out there that were created in the past. This causes more content out there that could be available on demand. The new generation would have more options than people did in the past to watch shows that they have never seen before that have already came and gone and would not be reliant on watching what is currently being aired for the first time. That could be another reason for the additional cable cutting particularly with the latest generation. They know more about looking for things online to find the content for cheap or free as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts