LNB Comparisons, Which is best?

alaskaman

Mar 22, 2005
Does anyone know where to find information on who sells the best quality lowest noise LNB's for a Dish Network system? Up north here (around 60 degrees N. Latitude) I'm using a 4' dish with a JVC 301 receiver. The maximum signal strength reading from the Dish Network on screen meter is 73. That's on the strongest channels on a good day. Unfortunately it doesn't take much weather to knock the signal out. Wish there was a Consumer Reports type test done on LNB's.

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Unfortunately, all Dish Network lnbs have basically the same performance characteristics. Your only option for increasing signal strength is apparently the only option of getting a larger dish for increased gain. Alaska is at the edge of the satellites' broadcast area footprints.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
welcome alaskaman :wave

Mike is right...all Dish LNB's are the same specs. I am assuming you are aimed at 119. What signal strengths are you getting on Transponders 11 & 12?

Does the dish need to be peaked a little bit?

alaskaman

Mar 22, 2005
iceberg, transponder 11's signal strength this morning is 70 and 12's strength is 73.
Re: "Does the dish need to be peaked a little bit."
The dish is pointed for peak signal strength.

Are you positive that the quality of all LNB's for Dish Network are the same? That just doesn't make sense to me with all the different manufacturers.

Also, am wondering if there's better quality receivers that might help also or how much shorting my rg6 cable by about 30 ft would help increase signal strength, if any. When I got my system I just coiled up the excess cable in the attic

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
alaskaman said:
iceberg, transponder 11's signal strength this morning is 70 and 12's strength is 73.
Re: "Does the dish need to be peaked a little bit."
The dish is pointed for peak signal strength.

but did some strong wind maybe move it a little bit?
Are you positive that the quality of all LNB's for Dish Network are the same? That just doesn't make sense to me with all the different manufacturers.
I've tried many different Dish Sinlgles/dual and they all get me the same results
Also, am wondering if there's better quality receivers that might help also or how much shorting my rg6 cable by about 30 ft would help increase signal strength, if any. When I got my system I just coiled up the excess cable in the attic
The 301 is a good receiver. use one myself. Use to use a 5000, which wasn't good at aiming (the meter only would go to 100 instead of 125)
In terms of the cabling...how much is the TOTAL length of cable from the dish to the receiver? You will lose some signal strength over a long run especially with Legacy equipment (I'm assuming the LNB is Legacy and not DishPro)

alaskaman

Mar 22, 2005
Iceberg, Re: "but did some strong wind maybe move it a little bit?"

No, the signal strength is at the highest it's ever been before. I used to get a max of 68-70, but in the last couple days it seems to be a bit higher than I ever remember it being before. As to how long my cable is...it might have come in a 100' length...not sure. I'll check the other cable that came with the system tonight and see about how long it is. Didn't hook up the second receiver.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
gotcha
100 feet should be OK....

Is there anyone else in your area that you could check to see what they are getting for signal? Since you're in Alaska, its harder for us to troubleshoot due to the distance.

What is the normal size for a dish in Alaska? Is there any other members from Alaska to help out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)