LNB/switch changes needed for 622?

rvonder

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Leesburg, VA
I currently have an 811 (owned), an old JVC DVHS, and a 510 (leased). Am using two Dish 500's -- one for 119/110, and one for 61.5. Both dishes have the really ancient LNB's (not the newer 'twins') feeding an SW64.

I'd like to upgrade my 811 to a 622, and the 510 to a 625 if possible.

If I do this, will changes to my LNB's or SW64 be required? If so, what replaces them? (I'm having intermittent problems with my 61.5 LNB, but don't want to pay to replace it if the new receivers would obsolete it.)

Thanks,
Rob

rvonder said:
I currently have an 811 (owned), an old JVC DVHS, and a 510 (leased). Am using two Dish 500's -- one for 119/110, and one for 61.5. Both dishes have the really ancient LNB's (not the newer 'twins') feeding an SW64.

I'd like to upgrade my 811 to a 622, and the 510 to a 625 if possible.

If I do this, will changes to my LNB's or SW64 be required? If so, what replaces them? (I'm having intermittent problems with my 61.5 LNB, but don't want to pay to replace it if the new receivers would obsolete it.)

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

All Dish receivers will work with your setup as well as any new Dish Pro receivers.

Now if you replaced your 811 with a 622 it will require two feeds from your SW64, the 625 will require two feeds as well from your SW64 switch. This will then use up all four ports of your SW64, so if you wish to continue using your DVHS receiver you will need another SW64, unless you decide to upgrade to all DISH PRO LNBF's and the new DP34 switches, This would be expensive and you would also have to get a Dish Pro adaptor for your DVHS receiver.

If you want another SW64, installation is NOT simple. You can't easily connect two SW64 switches together like the new DP34 switches. The Dp34 solution will require two DP34 as well.

The Last solution is using ONE DPP44 switch, you would still need to replace your LNBF's with Dish Pro LNBF's but the bonus is you will only need to use ONE Port from that switch for EACH DUAL TUNER receiver (622 and 625) using Dish Pro Plus sperators you also would NOT have to run another cable to the locations for the new receivers, lastly the DPP44 WILL work with your legacy DVHS without a Dish Pro Adaptor and you will have one spare port left for another possible receiver in the future.

The only way to connect 2 SW64's together is with additional hardware, you will need 6 Satellite Splitters with DC Power pass on ONE SIDE ONLY, you will also need 3 Feed Through Loads as well. I did my Dual SW64 installation myself, its not for the average or faint of heart subscriber. Any mistake will destroy BOTH switches, the wiring is quite specific since you will have 12 cables from the Splitters it would be very easy to connect the wrong ones then Puff two shiny Door Stops.

Your choice of solution is upto you, all three options have costs, but a DPP44 is a much more simple solution. Retail price for the DPP44 switch is about $190 bucks, DP34's about $50.00 each, SW64's are not in production anymore but can be found for about $40-60 bucks, the feed through loads are also not widely available, Dishdepot.com sells a SW64 kit that comes with all 6 Satellite splitters and feed through loads for about $20 (That is where I got mine) I recently upgraded my Installation to SuperDish to get Locals as I lost my Distants Network signals so I no longer have my Dual SW64 installation I now have a Three DP34 installation.

John

Last edited:
Fredinva said:
Just upgrade to a new Dish 1000
That's kinda what I was asking. From reading other posts, it appears that Dish is no longer paying metro DC installers to put up Dish 1000's. Instead, they're asking them to install a separate 61.5 dish which I already have.

Since leasing a 622 requires "professional installation" (hey, it's really hard to run that extra piece of RG-6 from the switch, right?), I wanted to understand my options. Per the CSR I spoke with at Dish, the installer's mission is to get the new receiver working while keeping everything else also working. So if keeping one of my ancient legacy receivers online (like the D-VHS) would force a different upgrade path, I need to understand the implications.

I've done all my own installs, etc. since 1997 but just haven't had any reason to look at the DishPro or Dish1000 stuff - that's all new to me!

Thanks, Rob

PS - obviously, paying $300 for the privilege of leasing a new receiver grates on me -- not to mention being required to commit to 18 months of service in the process. It's one thing with a cellphone, where they're giving you ownership of a new handset in exchange for the commitment. But here, Dish continues to own the receiver - so I cannot understand the logic of an 18-month commitment. Even worse, brand-new customers can get the same deal with NO commitment at all - why is that? Is there any better way of upgrading that anyone has found?

If you buy the 622 vs. leasing it you won't have the commitment. There are plenty of posts that "do the math" for this option and there will likely be a payback at some point in 3-5 years if the technology doesn't churn much in that period.

It is my understanding that an upgrade to the D1000 is not automatic with a 622 installation, that the installer will only do what is necessary to get you up and running per your location and subscription. Since you might already have most of the equipment you'll need, don't assume anything. Where are you located? If you are in the blackout zone for the 129 sat. then the dishes you currently have will be correct as-is and the D1000 won't be appropriate. Even if you're west of that line, the 61.5 sat might be a better option for you if you're not concerned about your HD LiLs given the weak signal many are reporting from 129.

However, IMHO you should do whatever it takes to get a DPP44 (currently in short supply) and the required DP LNBFs since that will offer you a lot more flexibility with the dishes and receivers you already have or are planning, as JohnL noted. If you're not leasing the 622, then the whole additional hardware cost is yours alone, but I still think it would be worth it. If you do decide to lease, consider a programming combination that would require them to install the DPP44 and new LNBFs as part of that $299 upgrade fee...

Last edited:
bhelms said:
Where are you located? If you are in the blackout zone for the 129 sat. then the dishes you currently have will be correct as-is and the D1000 won't be appropriate.
I'm in the metro DC area, and Dish itself is now steering installers to the 61.5 wing dish vs. the 1000.

However, IMHO you should do whatever it takes to get a DPP44 (currently in short supply) and the required DP LNBFs (snip) If you do decide to lease, consider a programming combination that would require them to install the DPP44 and new LNBFs as part of that $299 upgrade fee...
Bingo... so the $64 question becomes what programming combo would require the upgrade??

Thanks much!
Rob

I recommend calling now to get the 622 lease for $299. You will almost certainly get a DPP44 to replace your SW64 and DP LNBs for your dishes. The 622 would be nearly free considering the value of the above equipment and the installation.

rglore said:
I recommend calling now to get the 622 lease for $299. You will almost certainly get a DPP44 to replace your SW64 and DP LNBs for your dishes.
That's what I wanted to hear... but can you help me understand why is this the case? Is there something about the upgrade that renders my current SW64 and/or legacy LNB's obsolete?

The biggest reason, i can see, for the upgrade to DPP from legacy in your case is ease of installation. If you put in a dual tuner 622 or 625 then you have 2 sat inputs. With DPP technology switches etc you can use the existing single cable and run dual tuners.
If you keep the old switches you will need 2 cables to each receiver, this may mean running out of ports on the swicthes and the hassle of installing another cable.

gbjbany said:
With DPP technology switches etc you can use the existing single cable and run dual tuners.
If you keep the old switches you will need 2 cables to each receiver
OK, now I understand -- and that's a pretty compelling benefit. If I were the installer, I'd sure change out the LNB's and the SW64 rather than try to pull more coax, because there's no easy way to add another run of RG6 in my installation.

Guess I'll go ahead and swallow the $300 fee on the assumption that i'd get a new switch and LNBs out of the deal.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice!

Rob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)