Local channel help

Nakedland1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2023
Boise
Hello dear friends,

We have our 85 inch Sony tv, hooked to Dish receiver (Hopper plus)and streaming on the new firestick. Due to health stuff, we have to cut back a little so removing Dish.
Once I disconnect the receiver, does it go back to an antenna type tv?
I also have the antenna that dish passed out for local channels, you plug it into usb on the back of the tv.
We tried to disconnect the receiver but we clearly weren’t doing correctly.
Thank you all for looking out for me

Hello dear friends,

We have our 85 inch Sony tv, hooked to Dish receiver (Hopper plus)and streaming on the new firestick. Due to health stuff, we have to cut back a little so removing Dish.
Once I disconnect the receiver, does it go back to an antenna type tv?
I also have the antenna that dish passed out for local channels, you plug it into usb on the back of the tv.
We tried to disconnect the receiver but we clearly weren’t doing correctly.
Thank you all for looking out for me
you will have to connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to the coaxial port on the TV. then you d to tell te TV to use that input and run a scan.

By the way, you don’t need to disconnect anything to use over-the-air. Your TV remote should let you freely switch between any input. (The over-the-air might be labeled something like OTA or antenna.)
except that it sounds like the antenna is connected to the DISH receiver

Last edited:
You need to change your TV input from where it is, perhaps HDMI1, to TV or maybe it is called Antenna or something like that. This is something you have to do so the television knows that you want to use an antenna to receive programming.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just to be clear, this is what the connection from the OTA antenna should look like:
AdobeStock_133036445-591068.jpg

Assuming it's connected to the Dish receiver, you unscrew it from there (don't get confused with the line coming from the satellite dish) and connect it to the TV (there should only be one spot to connect it on the TV.

This is what the cable (the actual color might be different) should look like that connects between your Dish receiver and the TV:
0012304_10-meter-328-ft-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet_400.jpeg

Once you've connected the antenna to the TV, you'll need to tell it to scan for channels. That will be in the menu somewhere, probably under "setup" or "channels".

I originally read “antenna” in the OP as, well, “antenna”, (just antenna, only) and assumed the USB port was just how an amplifier in that antenna was powered. But other people read it as Dish’s OTA adapter, which sounds like it may be. In any case, whatever actual antenna you have should be connected to the TV, not to a Dish Network device.

Just to be clear, this is what the connection from the OTA antenna should look like:
AdobeStock_133036445-591068.jpg

Assuming it's connected to the Dish receiver, you unscrew it from there (don't get confused with the line coming from the satellite dish) and connect it to the TV (there should only be one spot to connect it on the TV.

This is what the cable (the actual color might be different) should look like that connects between your Dish receiver and the TV:
0012304_10-meter-328-ft-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet_400.jpeg

Once you've connected the antenna to the TV, you'll need to tell it to scan for channels. That will be in the menu somewhere, probably under "setup" or "channels".
Wow, Sam, thank you so much. So before I start, these are the steps?

take coaxial off and connect to the tv
disconnect receiver cable from tv
(ok, forgot to mention, we have the small, hang on the wall antennae that Dish passes out to customers for free)
it has a usb cable. I assume I then plug the usb into the tv port
and finally, disconnect and unplug the dish receiver
inthen change to the right input that local channels are on?

(ok, forgot to mention, we have the small, hang on the wall antennae that Dish passes out to customers for free)
Just to be clear, this antenna that Dish gave you, it has a coax on one end a USB cable that plugs into the wall antenna? I am unsure what that USB is for. All your TV needs is an antenna (your wall antenna qualifies) with a coax cable going from it to the TV. Perhaps it is a powered amplified antenna and then that USB is the source for the power. If that is the case, yes, plug it into a USB port of the TV along with the coax to the TV. Now, after you change the input you will need to scan for channels for them to be on. You will probably be prompted to do that when you first hook up. If not go to your TV Settings and find where you do the scan. It may say Channels or Antenna or something like that. You should select that and then Find Channels. Finally, you can take the Dish receiver out of the picture entirely before you do any of this.

The antenna provided from dish will have a power adapter. Anything with USB is the dual tuner ota adapter for the hopper.

To connect to TV the wire coming from antenna will go to the small black box that has a make threaded connector (should already be connected) then it has a plug that plugs into power (should also already be connected). Then there's one more wire that screws on to the USB adapter, this is where you disconnect it from and then that wire will now connect to back of tv (no usb).

Per our previous conversation, you have the Sony Z9K as I do, just the Coaxial into the TV.

Do not plug anything to either USB ports ( you have 2).

But what you can do, is get a ethernet usb adapter, plug that into your USB 3.0 port, then your TV will accept higher speeds ( depending on what speed you pay for, of course).

The ethernet port only accepts a 100/10 signal, while the USB will take a 1 gig speed, which is good for certain apps, like Bravia Core, minimum speed is 140.

Last edited: