Local Channel Viewing on my Tailgater/vip211k

meyerske2

Original poster
May 2, 2023
US
Hi all - newbie here.

I've had my Tailgater/vip211k combo for a number of years now. We use this mobile setup when we travel to Ohio. We live in western PA (where our normal service address is). For years we've been able to receive our PA local channels when we're in Ohio (but only in standard def, not HD for some reason - not a huge deal though. The HD locals show up on the guide, but when selected, a signal lost error comes up).

Recently, something has changed. I can see the HD locals on the Tailgater guide, but the SD locals (the ones I can actually watch) no longer show up on the guide. So in other words, I can no longer see my PA locals if I'm in Ohio. If I change my service address to Ohio the Ohio SD locals can be watched. This isn't ideal, because for anyone at home in PA, they now only get Ohio locals (still only in SD), and our pre-set recordings get skipped because the PA local channels are no longer available.

So, I guess I have two questions:

Any ideas on how I can watch my locals in HD? (this may also solve question #2)

Any ideas on how I can get back my PA locals while in Ohio?

Thanks,

Kurt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

T
Hi all - newbie here.

I've had my Tailgater/vip211k combo for a number of years now. We use this mobile setup when we travel to Ohio. We live in western PA (where our normal service address is). For years we've been able to receive our PA local channels when we're in Ohio (but only in standard def, not HD for some reason - not a huge deal though. The HD locals show up on the guide, but when selected, a signal lost error comes up).

Recently, something has changed. I can see the HD locals on the Tailgater guide, but the SD locals (the ones I can actually watch) no longer show up on the guide. So in other words, I can no longer see my PA locals if I'm in Ohio. If I change my service address to Ohio the Ohio SD locals can be watched. This isn't ideal, because for anyone at home in PA, they now only get Ohio locals (still only in SD), and our pre-set recordings get skipped because the PA local channels are no longer available.

Thanks,

Kurt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Ta
Hi all - newbie here.

Thanks,

Kurt

They recently made a ton of changes to the satellites and their spotbeams, so would assume that's why. Therefore you would not be getting them back unfortunately (while outside normal viewing area). There's a couple forum posts about the changes.

Great info. That explains a lot.

So how might I actually able to watch the HD locals that show up on my guide? Do I need to repoint the Tailgater to a different satellite? How do I know what satellite my HD locals are on?

Reactions: charlesrshell
If your western arc HD locals are on the 129 sat, the elevation may be too low for your dish to "see" them. There's a good likelihood your locals are in HD on the eastern arc sats at a much higher elevation. Unfortunately, your Tailgater is only capable of finding the western arc sats. I understand the only portable self aiming dish capable of tuning both eastern arc sats is the Winegard Pathway X2.

So how might I actually able to watch the HD locals that show up on my guide? Do I need to repoint the Tailgater to a different satellite? How do I know what satellite my HD locals are on?

I don't know where the satellite list is. But, while on a local HD channel press the remote Info button then press Recall. The popup will tell you what satellite that channel is on. I would think all your local HD channels are coming from the same satellite.

Last edited:

You can't. They are showing in your guide because it's including in your programming. But will show no signal because wherever you are at doesn't have a spotbeam carrying those channels. You're options would be to stream them (wouldn't get local news) or have a hopper2 or hopper3 at your house and use the dish anywhere app which still requires internet.

Reactions: charlesrshell