Local HD Channels on Sat 77

scuba.kevin

Mar 13, 2009
Arkansas
I'm trying to point a DISH 500 at the new 77 Echostar Sat. It is connected to a Dish 1000.2 dish. The reason why I'm using a Dish 500 dish is because our local HD channels for Arkansas are on the 77 sat. I tried to point it last weekend and didn't get any signal. The setup screen on the receiver just kept giving me a X & NC on the number 4 port. I just received a Accutrac 22 Pro meter today so I'm hoping this will assist me in finding the sat. I'm using the following settings on my dish. Az 145 El 46 Sk 64. My zip is 71667. My receivers are two vip622's. Does this look right to all you pro installers out there? :confused: From what I understand there isn't many installers in Arkansas that is wanting to tackle this.

Alright finally got my meter and worked on this last night. This is what I came up with. First off to answer Gary's question I'm using a Dish Pro lnb with 4 ports. I can get a signal with the meter but the problem was that it doesn't show up in the check switch menu. I bypassed the Dish 1000.2 lnb all together and run a check switch with just the Dish Pro lnb connected. I found that I was a little off on where I was pointing. I was getting around 80 on the meter and after the check switch was through it showed I was pointing at Sat 72 not 77 so I was a little off with my pointing. At this point it was starting to rain outside so I connected the 1000.2 lnb back up and run the check switch again to get back to my initial sat's. I will reallign the dish today after I get home. Now after looking a little more into what Gary was suggesting I found the 1000.2 manual saying that "The LNBF from the second dish must be a DISH Pro Single or DISH Pro Dual looking at a DBS satellite location, or a DISH Network bandstacked LNBF." So is this the reason why when I was connected to the 1000.2 lnb in port I got no signal? I have two more lnbs. They are singles lnbs and they say "Digital LNBF" on them with 2 rf connections. Part number is BS1H1UP201M. Can I use one of these lnbs and get it to work? The Dish Pro part number is BS1B1UP401M and has 4 rf connections on it. This was the lnb that came with the DISH 500 before I upgraded to the vip622 and Dish 1000.2 for HD channels. I know this seems like a lot of work for 4 local HD channels but I've turned into a HD junkie! Once you've seen HD you don't want anything less. Please Gary or anyone else. Can you help me with my HD fix!!!

Also on more thing. After running the dish pointer calculator Gary suggested I got the these settings. AZ 154.6 (true) AZ 153.6 (magnetic using compass) EL 47.3 Sk -20.8. They are pretty much the same as what Gary got except for the skew. Should I use this skew or not worry about it since I'm only trying to pickup Sat 77 and not two Sat's at the same time?

Your LNB needs to have a big DP (not DPP or blank) on it to be the right one, any Dish DP model will work. Run a check switch with no LNB connected to clear the matrix (disables LNB port selection) and then connect the LNB on the 500 to your receiver and find 77. Use the point dish screen to verify your on 77, peak in and lock down. Then reconnect the same connection on the 500 to your 1000.2 LNB input and run check switch and you should be good to go. Skew won't matter but set it to 90 (straight up) if using a single head LNB.

Last edited:
Skew only matters when trying to get two or more sats, at 90 the arm should be level, if you change the skew you are changing the direction the lnb is looking at. The calculator does not give a skew reading when you put in your address and only trying to get one sat and thus it should be set to 90.

Skew only matters when trying to get two or more sats, at 90 the arm should be level, if you change the skew you are changing the direction the lnb is looking at. The calculator does not give a skew reading when you put in your address and only trying to get one sat and thus it should be set to 90.
:up:up 100% Agree

Well finished up the install today. The new lnb did the trick. For you guys that don't install allot I have one little piece of advice for pointing at sat 77. It's very close to the sat 72! Earlier in this thread I said that I had pointed to 72 no problem but couldn't get 77. Well all you need to do is move over just a little. While watching my meter I found that as soon as the singal on 72 began to drop it started to come back up. It wasn't as strong as 72 but it was there. This may just be the area I'm at as far as not as mich singnal but they are very close together! Well everyone that helped me out thanks for all the help. I'm off to get my HD fix!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts