Local HD requirement coming anytime soon?

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
i am curious if anyone knows if there is any current timeline or anything coming down the line at the FCC that will require cable/sat companies to re-broadcast ALL HD channels in a certain market if they choose to broadcast any at all in that particular market (assuming the station agrees). I know with the SD stations this is the case now, I am just optimistic that there will come a time that this will be true with the HD channels as well.

My local PBS stations broadcast four OTA subchannels with different content on each one on its digital channel. They are obviously not all in HD, but I would enjoy being able to watch each one. E* doesnt' even have the main PBS channel in HD, which actually has a lot of good HD programming on it. My local NBC station also has a local weather subchannel I would like to see.

No, I can't put up an OTA antenna, There are large cliffs directly in front of where I have to point my directional antenna and it picks up nothing but static. I am right at the edge of my DMA.

Anyone have any ideas?