zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
Pre digital-cutover, channel

N-0 was the analog/SD version, correct
N-1 was usually the HD version of that
N-2,3,4 were subchannels (often a weather channel, etc)

Post conversion I'm wondering why I still get anything on N-0 ?

Also I note that our local PBS channel (WUNC, ch 4) is un-viewable by many folks OTA (they have more transitions to make to a new freq/transmitter) and on 4-1 I get no good signal.

But I am getting it fine on 4-0.. I find this more than puzzling (it looks like SD)

I wasn't expecting to see anything on N-0 anymore?

EDIT: this is using my 622 DVR as the tuner

Analog does not mean SD and digital does not mean HD. Analog and digital are just the way the signal is transmitted. Are your -0 channels over the satellite or OTA? I have never seen -0 channels OTA.

On my receiver both SD and HD locals from DISH have suffix -0. All OTA channes have -1, -2, etc.

There is possibility that your local PBS changed channel assignment. Try re-scanning your locals.

In my case, prior to the cut-over & now (given the way I have my 722 & 622 configured):

N-0 = Digital (normally HD) version of network channel N delivered via Satellite
N-1 = Digital (normally HD) version of network channel N delivered via my OTA antenna
N-2, etc = Digital subchannels of channel N delivered via my OTA antenna

You may have N-0 configured to be the Dish LIL Digital (if available) or Dish LIL analog (SD). I have no idea what is currently going on in the DMA's where Dish does not yet carry the digital/HD feed of the Local.

There is no more "analog" - in every case Dish is getting the digital channel (except for some still-existing low power analog stations which they likely did not carry anyway).

For the SD locals, in some cases they are downconverting the HD channel. In other cases, the local station provides an SD subchannel.

Analog does not mean SD and digital does not mean HD. Analog and digital are just the way the signal is transmitted. Are your -0 channels over the satellite or OTA? I have never seen -0 channels OTA.

I don't/didn't know.. I had thought they represented the Analog OTA channels.. other posters are making me re-think that assumption

On my receiver both SD and HD locals from DISH have suffix -0. All OTA channes have -1, -2, etc.

There is possibility that your local PBS changed channel assignment. Try re-scanning your locals.

I have.. twice.

In my case, prior to the cut-over & now (given the way I have my 722 & 622 configured):

N-0 = Digital (normally HD) version of network channel N delivered via Satellite
N-1 = Digital (normally HD) version of network channel N delivered via my OTA antenna
N-2, etc = Digital subchannels of channel N delivered via my OTA antenna

You may have N-0 configured to be the Dish LIL Digital (if available) or Dish LIL analog (SD). I have no idea what is currently going on in the DMA's where Dish does not yet carry the digital/HD feed of the Local.

Ah.. so 4-0 is essentially the same thing as the mapping that shows up at 6xxx for me.. and they are BOTH? from Dish? That would explain the mystery/confusion.

EDIT: also I never paid attention to the N-0 cahnnels before the transition as I had N-1 (OTA HD) versions of all the locals I cared about.

Did you delete all the locals before rescanning? If not, try that.

BTW, the easiest way to tell if a channel is from satellite or OTA is the color of the channel in the guide. If it's yellow, it's OTA.

I don't/didn't know.. I had thought they represented the Analog OTA channels.. other posters are making me re-think that assumption.

The 622 never had an analog tuner. The -0 channel was always satellite-delivered.

The 622 never had an analog tuner. The -0 channel was always satellite-delivered.

So I've just learned :) (as I said, I never used -0 b/c I had HD -1's available.. but since one of our locals is mostly down post-transition, I noticed 4-0 had a signal and started to wonder)

For us, for instance, the 28-0 is DISH's local of our OTA 28-1 and on dish, 28-1 and above (if any subchannels) are OTA signals into the satellite receiver at this time. Prior to the anaolg shutdown (Feb 17 for us) 28-0 was the analog (and for the previous 6 months a center-cut version of the digital signal replaced the analog... both Dish and DirecTV did this and the questionaire to TV stations had BOTH names on the letterhead) and the others the off air or, if you had the HD package, that showed instead of the center-cut on 28-0. It's all mapping with the actuall channels elsewhere.