Locals coming online tonight in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
When I watched the Charlie Chat introducing the 622 Charlie said there would be 50 local markets up by years end in HD. I think there are now about 28. Will the other 22 markets come on line tonight or was the CEO of EchoStar flat out lying about the companies intentions just to get people to buy equipment?

If it does not happen I am going to assume it was an out right lie as missing a goal of 50 by 3-5 could be considered overly optimistic but missing it by almost half is just plain lying. I wonder if there are any lawyers that would be interested in a class action suit for all the people that bought equipment and agreed to service terms based on this lie.

Dish's history for not getting items 'promised' on time leans to Dish being optimistic. Anytime someone was able to call on Charlie for what didn't happen, he goes into the ever popular "things didn't progress as planned" or "other items came up which we deemed to be more important" RSN's in HD were to happen sometime in the fall, as the most recent other promise which didn't happen. Suing over these items will cost one person a lot of money without much in return (legal fees, years spent in court, ect.)

When I watched the Charlie Chat introducing the 622 Charlie said there would be 50 local markets up by years end in HD. I think there are now about 28. Will the other 22 markets come on line tonight or was the CEO of EchoStar flat out lying about the companies intentions just to get people to buy equipment?

Maybe you will now understand the answer to this post now:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=537308&postcount=2

Dish's history for not getting items 'promised' on time leans to Dish being optimistic. Anytime someone was able to call on Charlie for what didn't happen, he goes into the ever popular "things didn't progress as planned" or "other items came up which we deemed to be more important" RSN's in HD were to happen sometime in the fall, as the most recent other promise which didn't happen. Suing over these items will cost one person a lot of money without much in return (legal fees, years spent in court, ect.)

If Dish spent as much in strategic planning as they do in legal fees each year, they might actually have a long term plan that worked.

If Dish spent as much in strategic planning as they do in legal fees each year, they might actually have a long term plan that worked.
BINGO!

And Dish would not need to waste so much time & resources on damage control when they lose (e.g. Distant Networks).

Giving Charlie money so he can spend it on lawyers make me feel so dirty :eek:

Talon Dancer

I just wish Charlie & Co. would sell the company already and get someone in there who knows what they're doing and cares about their customers. I wouldn't mind spending my hard earned money if I was getting state-of-the-art programming and equipment.

I just wish Charlie & Co. would sell the company already and get someone in there who knows what they're doing and cares about their customers. I wouldn't mind spending my hard earned money if I was getting state-of-the-art programming and equipment.
Is there such a company out there that "cares" about it's customers?

I used to buy equipment. I don't buy equipment now unless there is some content available, I want, that I need it for.

Don't buy into any provider unless what you want is available now.

The truth of the matter is by the time the "forecasted" content is provided it may require different equipment. Oh, the weather forecast is more reliable because none of them are willing to comit to getting it done. D* is way behind on its initial 150 HD channel capacity prediction. E* is way behind on the HD Locals and HD RSNs Predictions.

Meanwhile, the Uplink Activity for the first week of the new year is typical. Nothing new up there, yet.

Let's see now. Charlie Ergen started out selling BUDs from the back of a pickup. He also was a professional poker player. He's now a billionaire and runs a massive corporation that he literally built up from nothing, himself. He's delivered entertainment and information to millions, disturbed the complacency of cablecos, keeps D* on it's toes and has generally done it while charging less than the competition. D* can feel his breath on their neck, and my nickel is on Charlie to ride Dish to #1.

There is no better DVR on the market than the ViP622. E* has more national HD than D* - even if you don't like some channels, it's still more. E* is fielding IPTV before D* and is perhaps DEFINING state of the art in the DBS field.

Darth Murdoch quit and ran. Our self-made man is still standing- he IS the best in the field. Be upset all you want, even I am not happy about a $7 increase in my bill- but give the man his due. He's earned it.

but give the man his due. He's earned it.

Agreed in principle, but as has been pointed out earlier. A true businessman wouldn't have spent the millions in legal fees E* did with the distant networks fiasco.

While Charlie built Echostar from the ground up out of his truck, the "wild west" mentality of business that got him here doesn't fly when you've now got 12 million subs. You've got to turn and look at what value is going to keep those 12 million subs around. While not turning yet, the tides look murky right now. Especially if Liberty turns around and puts a more solid business model to work at DirecTV. While the DirectTv claims of 150 channels of HD are vapor, with the new hardware going into space they could make a run at Dish for the very customers Charlie keeps touting as most important to the business, the HD customer. HD customers are willing to pay more for equipment and willing to pay more for monthly services, however, I don't think HD customers are especially loyal. If DirectTv is providing more services, more customers will move.

As said before, Dish needs to get back to strategic planning to keep those higher paying customers. They are the ones who are going to keep the company going and growing long term. Many times it looks like Charlie and company lose sight of that fact.

While the DirectTv claims of 150 channels of HD are vapor, ...

Remember, D*'s only said that they would have the capacity for 150 channels, not that they would.

As said before, Dish needs to get back to strategic planning to keep those higher paying customers.

When did Dish do strategic planning? It's probably been almost 5 years since it looked like E* did anything then just knee jerk decisions.

Welcome, Costy. Odd thread to post first in.

E* strategy has brought them from nothing to 13 million subs. They must be doing something right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts