Locals East and West???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
What are these on my guide? I see my own locals, but I also see ABC, CBS, NBC, etc in both east and west on the guide I can't access them because it says I don't have a subscription to them. What are these?

Distant Network feeds. You can only get them if D doesn't offer your local channels.

They are in the 380-386 area and are SD only. Years age when we could not receive our locals over the air we could get a waver from the locals and D* could liet us have the East and West cost major networks. So if your new to D* and they now provide your loacls in HD you probably can not get wavers for the SD channels. If you are luck to get a waver from your locals you will only get teh East coast channels, being that you are in Ohio.

They are in the 380-386 area and are SD only. Years age when we could not receive our locals over the air we could get a waver from the locals and D* could liet us have the East and West cost major networks. So if your new to D* and they now provide your loacls in HD you probably can not get wavers for the SD channels. If you are luck to get a waver from your locals you will only get teh East coast channels, being that you are in Ohio.
They are HD, too. I have had them for 5 years now. Lots of people report losing them once they upgrade to an HR20, but I still have them -- grandfathered till they stop the transmissions.

Getting locals OTA had nothing originally to do with it. They added SD locals and that was separate from HD DNS.

HD DNS were added to the HD package, gratis. Dallas had SD locals and I still got HD DNS even thought I didn't buy D* SD locals. Then it became you had to have D* SD Locals in order to get HD DNS.

We did not have to get waivers -- they had blanket waivers for the DMAs and only ABC Dallas would not grant one then for their HD DNS feed . East 1/2 of country got the east feeds and west 1/2 got the west feed.

And you are correct -- nobody can get DNS today if HD LiL if present. Don't even bother trying to get a waiver.

If D* has locals in SD but not HD, can you distant networks in HD? I am too far from my local market to get OTA HD for the local channels.

I am not able to receive a FOX channel in HD even though I get it in SD. DirecTV allows me to receive the FOX HD from NY, but not the SD version. So it is possible.

If D* has locals in SD but not HD, can you distant networks in HD? I am too far from my local market to get OTA HD for the local channels.

No, distant network locals are only provided if you cant get your area locals from either A dtv or B off air antenna. If you can get local from either A or B your not eligible, HD dose not factor into the equation unfortunately.

I would call your local station and complain, tell them you want HD broadcasts. If Dtv offers your locals and there are no HD channels its most likely because your station dose not provide them.

No, distant network locals are only provided if you cant get your area locals from either A dtv or B off air antenna. If you can get local from either A or B your not eligible, HD dose not factor into the equation unfortunately.

I would call your local station and complain, tell them you want HD broadcasts. If Dtv offers your locals and there are no HD channels its most likely because your station dose not provide them.

Um, you can get HD out of NY or LA if your local station does not offer them.

We have a DNS exemption as we live and travel in a RV. If I were to get a HD receiver would I get HD locals?

Um, you can get HD out of NY or LA if your local station does not offer them.

Um, ONLY if your locals were O&O (owned & operated) affiliates of those same networks. (but of course since you don't tell us where you live, we don't know 100%)

For example, all 4 Chicago nets are O&O, so D* was allowed to offer NY HD locals only. BUT, any new subs in these same markets are NOT allowed to get them, since those "real" locals are available in HD & eventually, ALL subs in those same markets WILL eventually loose NY & LA HD access. (I'm still getting the NY HD's, but I know very soon they WILL all be gone...)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)