Locals have me confused...

Chad T

Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Currently I have Charter digital cable, but am considering switching to Dish because I want HD and Charter doesn't offer HD in my area. I'm currently getting all locals through Charter and they're all analog. If I switch to Dish, I'm confused about locals....

I put my zip code (47591) in antennaweb.org and it appears that the only digital channels available are two PBS stations, but I'm not sure if they are HD or plain ole' digital.

Also, I put my address info into dishnetwork.com and it indicated that I'm elligible for Terre Haute, IN locals, but that doesn't offer any ABC stations, so I'd have to buy an a la carte ABC station. Further, it doesn't look like any of the Terre Haute stations are in HD. My questions....

Can I pay the locals upcharge and get locals from a market that DOES offer CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. HD channels?

If not, then what is the point in paying for Dish locals? It seems I would be better off just getting an antenna and getting the SD locals OTA. In that scenario, does Dish provide an OTA antenna? And will those stations appear in the program guide of my Dish receiver? I'm considering getting a 622.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. A basic question....if you sign up for Dish BronzeHD, do you get a channel like HBO-HD even if you don't sign up for the HBO add-on package?

Chad T said:
P.S. A basic question....if you sign up for Dish BronzeHD, do you get a channel like HBO-HD even if you don't sign up for the HBO add-on package?

Welcome to Satellite Guys Chad T! :welcome

The answer to this part of your question is....no, you have to subscribe to HBO to get the HD channel.

NightRyder

Chad T said:
Currently I have Charter digital cable, but am considering switching to Dish because I want HD and Charter doesn't offer HD in my area. I'm currently getting all locals through Charter and they're all analog. If I switch to Dish, I'm confused about locals....

I put my zip code (47591) in antennaweb.org and it appears that the only digital channels available are two PBS stations, but I'm not sure if they are HD or plain ole' digital.

Also, I put my address info into dishnetwork.com and it indicated that I'm elligible for Terre Haute, IN locals, but that doesn't offer any ABC stations, so I'd have to buy an a la carte ABC station. Further, it doesn't look like any of the Terre Haute stations are in HD. My questions....

Can I pay the locals upcharge and get locals from a market that DOES offer CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. HD channels?

If not, then what is the point in paying for Dish locals? It seems I would be better off just getting an antenna and getting the SD locals OTA. In that scenario, does Dish provide an OTA antenna? And will those stations appear in the program guide of my Dish receiver? I'm considering getting a 622.

Thanks for your help!

OK...since no one else has chimed in I'll try to answer the rest of your questions.

1. Because of Dish's current legal problems it is extremely unlikely you will be able to get any out of DMA network.

2. Having dish SD locals has some advantages. a. You get program guide info (no subscription to locals = no guide data). b. You can record them on a Dish DVR. The 622 can't record analog OTA.

3. As far as I know Dish doesn't provide an OTA antenna (not free anyway).

NightRyder

Last edited:
1. Because of Dish's current legal problems it is extremely unlikely you will be able to get any out of DMA network.

I sent off a waiver for FOX on May 23rd, got an approval yesterday (Monday), called up Dish and selected my 2 cities and also got the CSR to resubmit another for another network. And it was an actual english CSR!! :eek:

Getting my FOX Distant Denver/LA and I'm on the East Coast even with E* in their DMA troubles. :confused: :confused: :confused:

jself1982 said:

I sent off a waiver for FOX on May 23rd, got an approval yesterday (Monday), called up Dish and selected my 2 cities and also got the CSR to resubmit another for another network. And it was an actual english CSR!! :eek:

Getting my FOX Distant Denver/LA and I'm on the East Coast even with E* in their DMA troubles. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Amazing, I hope the network lawyers don't read this forum! Enjoy them while you can jself1982, I have a sinking feeling we'll lose them before too long. :(

NightRyder

AMEN!--I must say I have been enjoying them.....I just really really hope they will stay on but I just don't see it happening. :(

Until then, I'm not going to complain!

Chad T said:
...If not, then what is the point in paying for Dish locals? It seems I would be better off just getting an antenna and getting the SD locals OTA...
As mentioned that will ensure you have the primary b'cast programs in digital and the information in the EPG. Get your OTA antenna working regardless. The HD quality of OTA b'cast in its native resolution will exceed anything you will receive from the sat. for some time. Even tho' your current local digital channels aren't yet in HD, they will likely be at some point. You can contact each station individually to ask when. Many are reluctant to discuss a schedule which is probably indicating that they're not close. But if they're almost ready to "throw the switch" then they'll likely give you an approximate date...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)