Locals problem 129

meco

Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
USA
I periodically re-allign a seldomly used installation. This TV/sat is used 1-2x per year.

It is a Dish 311 receiver, with a single LNB Dish500 sat subscribed to a local only package in west Texas. Local area Sweetwater / Abilene, TX. Until this year locals were on 148 and moved to 129.

This installation has not been successfully used on 129 as 148 was scheduled to be abandoned and was subsequently delayed. The TV / sat has not been used since 148 disappeared.

I recently attempted to re-allign the dish to the 129 orientation. Signal strength on odd transponders 21-31 are very low (25-40 range). Locals are supposedly located on Spotbeam 47 / Transponder 3. Trans 3 shows very low signal and is unlockable. It was enough signal to refresh the receiver and download a new guide, but the subscribed locals did not appear on the guide.

Certainly I could replace the LNB, but dont want to purchase un-necessary replacement parts. The dish has some minor storm damage (not bent) as the mast was pulled down in a 70+ mph microburst storm. Again, the dish is not out of round. Also, if hardware requirements have changed in this area-- I have yet to be informed.

If components need to be updated, I would rather go with a sturdier larger diameter dish. Models/makes recommended for this solo LNB set-up.

I have the patience to hand align a DTV 5-LNB with an analog tuner. Terribly baffled with the difficulty of getting this single LNB installation to peak with any reasonable level of success.

Troubleshooting tips and suggestions appreciated.

Recap:
Receiver: 311
Sat: Dish500 with 1 LNB
Intended Satellite of focus 129
Poor Signal on some transponders
Low/No signal on low number odd transponders

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts