Locals Protest the 5G Towers That Promise a High-Tech Future

Thank you. Maybe I'm misreading, but it looks like that's a point to point system (ie: your transmitter antenna and receiver transmitter have to be pointing directly to each other). So yes, you get distance, but just to a single point.
Correct. The example I provided is point to point. The signal must be distributed from there. My main point was that It has the potential of connecting rural areas. Notice that some of the items have built in solar power as well. That could potentially help with power failure concerns. I expect there is a ton of other technologies out there that we don't know about.

My point is a machine will assume you won't drive drunk or text and drive...but my biggest fear is how the thing will react when a small child walks in front of it...a human ( in most cases) will do anything to avoid the child..a machine will probably react too slowly and plow right into it
Did you finish reading his post?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I agree they follow driving rules better but there are times a human can make better decisions such as a driver going the wrong way and the human would put his car in a ditch to avoid
And that's the same problem human drivers have. Over time, AV's have been getting better at it than humans. Waymo's 600+ vehicle fleet is averaging about 25,000 miles per DAY on public highways, and is doing it with a much better safety record than humans driving comparable miles. Waymo vehicles logged 1.2 million miles last year in California alone, and that's not even their primary testing state. For the CA miles, the vehicles averaged 0.09 disconnects per 1,000 miles where a human took control. That's half the rate they logged the previous year, so apparently there's plenty of learning going on.

Sounds like you have a problem with individual freedom
Looking forward to the day that human operated vehicles are outlawed and all vehicles are autonomous... but it's just not a technology that requires 5G to accomplish. 4G can easily support the necessary bandwidth required for vehicles to communicate with a central system and each other.

One of my biggest complaints about the sprawling suburban hellscape of most American cities outside of New York, Chicago, maybe San Francisco is the fact that you have to drive *everywhere* and can't just hop on public transportation to get you anywhere you want to go and allow you to do something else while the public transportation "takes the wheel" for you. Autonomous cars will be a welcome compromise between the the very dense city with great public transportation model and the endless suburban sprawl model.

Reactions: olds403 and osu1991
My point is a machine will assume you won't drive drunk or text and drive...but my biggest fear is how the thing will react when a small child walks in front of it...a human ( in most cases) will do anything to avoid the child..a machine will probably react too slowly and plow right into it

That "machine" thinks and reacts faster than any human can. And never gets distracted...

I agree they follow driving rules better but there are times a human can make better decisions such as a driver going the wrong way and the human would put his car in a ditch to avoid

Those are just a few of the oddball situations that AV's are being taught to properly manage. Will the eventually get it right every time? Probably not, but I strongly suspect they'll get it right more often than humans do.

Machines and A. I. are going to take over and be the end of the human race. Just like in the movies.
Technology can be great but when is enough enough?
I love to drive and would never want a self driving car. Who will change the flat tire on a autonomous vehicle?
People are getting so F'ing lazy because of technology nowadays it is pathetic, they need a app for everything
Wish I could go back to the 70's

I think the biggest challenge for the robots will be seeing the lane markers. This is especially true where there is or was recent construction. One freeway near my home has at least five sets of white dashed lines which have been partially sanded, but still visible. And, the new lines are not that distinct. Driving at night in the rain, none of the lane markers are visible to me.

I mean, obviously they can't be accurate only under perfect conditions, they have to be correct under all highway conditions.

That "machine" thinks and reacts faster than any human can. And never gets distracted...
But machines are very often hacked and get viruses and other malware. Whatever the end result is, it had better be hyper secure against cyber attacks. But we know it won't be, because it can't be.

Baloney...the machine is software driven.. takes time process....a hardware switch is faster than a siftware switch...we are talking milliseconds...a human can think outside the box...a machine can't...it only knows whats its programmed to know...a human learns from experience

Baloney...the machine is software driven.. takes time process....a hardware switch is faster than a siftware switch...we are talking milliseconds...a human can think outside the box...a machine can't...it only knows whats its programmed to know...a human learns from experience

Weird, because most of my electronics have the learning capability to better suit my personal lifestyle. Something as simple as a cellphone. You’re making a case against yourself every single post.

Thats not learning....thats all programmed and just knowing what sites you visit...what your paterns are...its predicting based on past bevaviour...
Weird, because most of my electronics have the learning capability to better suit my personal lifestyle. Something as simple as a cellphone. You’re making a case against yourself every single post.

Reactions: joegr
Machines and A. I. are going to take over and be the end of the human race. Just like in the movies.
Technology can be great but when is enough enough?
I love to drive and would never want a self driving car. Who will change the flat tire on a autonomous vehicle?
People are getting so F'ing lazy because of technology nowadays it is pathetic, they need a app for everything
Wish I could go back to the 70's
Amen to that. I have over 2,000,000 miles driving, all with me behind the wheel. I don't need a machine to do something I've perfected

Thats not learning....thats all programmed and just knowing what sites you visit...what your paterns are...its predicting based on past bevaviour...

So it is changing its patterns based on experiences, huh? What the hell do you think humans do? Change your patterns based on experiences. Put your hand on a hot stove, it hurts, you stop putting your hand on a hot stove. It’s not intelligence a machine is doing, it is changing based on best course of action. Through human input, whether direct or indirect. It’s smarter and more reactionary than humans.

Amen to that. I have over 2,000,000 miles driving, all with me behind the wheel. I don't need a machine to do something I've perfected
That is a lot of miles for sure, got me thinking about how many I have driven and realized it is probably close to 2 million.
Even now that I don't do much service work I still drive about 40 thousand a year

As long as my vehicle doesn't use MS Windows as an OS I'll feel better at relinquishing control to a computer. (Sorry I couldn't resist. I'm a Linux guy.)

We saw what can happen when we rely on too much software. Being 737 MAX comes to mind. But I'm afraid that change is inevitable. In the meantime I'll keep my 96 Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel Zombie Apocalypse vehicle just in case. No computers and I can run it on used fryer oil from Long John Silvers if need be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)